By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
kain_kusanagi said:

I've been watching this thread for awhile and the one thing I have taken from it is that you want finite answers in a universe that appears to be infinite. You seem to think those with faith are ignorant and willfully so. You appear to believe it's your duty to force your enlightenment unto believers and convert them. You've gotten a lot of polite responses from people who disagree with your views and from my point of view you have been a little hostile and condescending to those who've explained their religious views. I'm sure you intend only to discuss, but at some point you just need to accept that no matter how many times you make your point it's still only a point of view. You might as well tell someone that their favorite sandwich sucks. It won't stop them from enjoying the sandwich, but if you keep telling them their sandwich sucks, they'll probably start looking for someone else to eat with.

I get that you see religion as a barrier to scientific advancement. But, religion isn't the only concern that puts moral pressure on scientific research. For example believers and non-believers alike tend to feel squeamish about harvesting fetuses for stem cells while at the same time have nothing against adult stem cell research. The idea of creating human life just to destroy it is something the bothers people of all creeds especially when that life is a viable baby. That's not religion, that's human nature.

As for Muslim extremist terrorism, really? As if violence and genocide are solely the realm of religious zealots? Extremists come in all manner of twisted ideology and are not exclusively limited to twisted holy text. Religion may get used to manipulate, but that doesn't mean religion is by its nature manipulative. A religious person volunteering at a soup kitchen isn't being manipulated into doing good any more than an atheist volunteering at the same soup kitchen is.

As for science, the way you talk about it is like it's a religion to you. You want religion to stay out of your science like our founding fathers wanted government to stay out of their religion. I'm not saying your concern is invalid, I just find it interesting how atheism has grown into something that resembles religion. There's even atheist organizations with their own literature and meetings that get the word out on atheism much like organized religion has its own books, meetings, and gets the word out on God.

I've known many atheists, I'm related to a few, and I'm friends with some. I've observed a trait that the atheists I've known share that differs from the religious people I know.

Here it is, are you ready?

Atheists look to science for facts. Theists look to god for truth.

I know, it doesn't seem that different, but it is. Truth and fact are sometimes the same thing and other times they have nothing to do with each other. Another way to put it is this: Theists only expect science to explain "how" things work while they look to  God fill in the "why". Atheists are less concerned with "why". For atheists, "how" tells the whole story.

When I look up at the Milky Way Galaxy on a clear moonless night I see both God and science. To me it looks random, but it feels structured and patterned. It's both beautiful and incomprehensibly big. I feel equal parts awe and curiosity. I wonder how it all works and why it is the way it is. To me "why" is both connected and separate from "how". The current theory of the Big Bang is a logical mathematical model for how the universe as we know it may have began. It may not be complete, but since it's the best we have I run with it. But at the same time I don't see why the Big Bang couldn't be the result of God willing time and space into existence. I just don't see why science and God have to be mutually exclusive. The Big Bang Theory could be the way God "Let there be light". Evolution, to me, looks to be the way God created the fish in the sea. The dust God used to create Adam is more than likely a metaphor for atoms/molecules. Sure there are evangelicals who read the bible as literally as a dictionary, and they probably view me as unreligious as you, by their definition. But in my opinion it's a book written to dumb down extremely complex concepts and ideas so primitive people could understand it. That doesn't make it invalid, it just means that "seven days" probably doesn't literally mean days and like I said above "dust" sounds a lot like atoms and "let there be light" sounds a lot like the big bang. Anyone that says the bible has all the answers doesn't understand the bible, but the same can be said of those who claim science holds all the answers. If 100% is the amount of things there is to know in the universe I'd say we probably now .001% and we humanity will probably never reach 1% comprehension. Heck, I'd say we probably only understand about 1 or 2% of what's going on in and around Earth. Every time we break open the tiniest part of an atom we find even smaller stuff. Of course those percentages are not based on any real world data, so please don't focus on the numbers.

Anyway, I don't really understand why you feel the need to stand up to religion. With all the problems in the world, is religion really such a plague that you feel the need to take action against it? I'd be willing to bet that you get annoyed by missionaries knocking on your door spreading the word. But your spreading your word. You posted a thread with the title "Prove that God exists", but you know that God can't be proven or disproven. You will never be satisfied with any explanation that anyone gives in favor of God and therefore the topic could never progress past the "that's not proof" stage and was destined from the beginning to either be futile or devolve into a flame war.

I think you've grossly misunderstood the point of the thread and my many responses.  I'm not trying to pretend Religion is in and of itself bad, nor am I saying people shouldn't have faith, but I am saying that religion, science, and politics should be completely seperate entities and they're not.  As long as religion expects to control science and politics, it should be subject to the same things science does, but instead we're handling it with kid gloves (criticizing religion is taboo), and they keep getting away with things they shouldn't.  

If they want special treatment, they need to earn it. 

"Atheists look to science for facts. Theists look to god for truth." 

This is wishful thinking, nothing more.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Furthermore, if anyone wants to continue to attempt to discredit scientific knowledge, then I challenge you to find a flaw in the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Best of luck to you. If you cannot think up a less biased, more accurate way to prove what is and what is not, then STOP SAYING THAT SCIENCE DOESNT PROVE THINGS. There is nothing more frustrating than a group of people who collectively are unable to see the evidence laid RIGHT out in front of them. It's even worse when certain...spiritual types are all "Where's the proof? where's the missing link? Your evidence is inconclusive" While arguing an opposing viewpoint that has even less proof (read: virtually none), and expect to be respected.

So have fun.

The Scientific Method is the best system we have at the moment, but it is grievously flawed.  For one thing, it is not a fraud detection system.  It is easy to read the reports and deduce the validity of their methods, but if someone fabricated results it is not so obvious.  The strange belief that there's a positive correlation between vaccines and Autism is a testament to this.

Secondly, bias influences the peer review process; there are many scientists out there who are not so pure as to permit contradictory conclusions to their own hypotheses to gain momentum; indeed, some throw their weight around to suppress new discoveries that threaten their own work.  When corporations finance scientific research, this becomes commonplace.

Finally, there is a disparity between nations when it comes to representation in scientific journals.  Even in cases where the methods and conclusions are quite reasonable, research and discoveries made by those in developing nations is admittedly underrepresented by the scientific community. People also erroneously conclude that a lack of data acquired by the Scientific Method equates to the absence of phenomena.

The Scientific Method is the best system we have but it is far, far from perfect.  At its best, it is a tool for critical thinking.  At its worst, it is a device to reject information even when it is correct.  And it does not prove things.  It sets the parameters for making the most educated conclusions based on present understanding.  That's why things change as new discoveries are made.  Scientific Laws only apply to mathematics; universal constants (although new discoveries suggest that the Laws of Physics are different elsewhere in the universe), and should an event arise where the Law fails, all science based upon it must be ba cast aside.

This is why there are Theories, the closest thing to Laws that can exist without mathematics to back it up, Laws the closest things to Facts as far as we know.  Now you know why there's Mendel's Laws of Heredity, but evolution remains a Theory.

Cirio said:

There are always two sides to the coin.

You see, if you had posted this sooner, then your topic would've turned out more towards the type of discussion you were hoping to follow. You can't expect to map out a blueprint then wait until a bunch of random people follow it so you can advance with your questions. This whole time I was under the impression that you blindly hated religion and posted this topic to entice religious people and flame them. 

However, as you lightly aluded to, religion has done plenty of good along with bad. I mean, even though religion has hindered some aspects of scientific growth in the past, it has also played a large role in promoting scientific growth. The nations we know now wouldn't be the same (or even be here) if it weren't for religion. Our advances in medicine wouldn't be at this level if it weren't for religious organizations promoting medicine (heck, Muslims created the first Medical schools). I too am a man of science, but you shouldn't assume that people of religion aren't "logical". I am a firm believer in God, but I am also researching in Biochemistry; I believe in evolution but I also believe in creationism. Science hasn't gotten to the point where it can disprove the major things in religion (like creationism of man and the universe) because we're still at the birth of understanding evolution, and we still don't understand our universe, let alone the stars outside of it.

And I don't understand how it is dangerous for people to follow "old religious" books. Your textbooks are outdated because people make newer discoveries and/or disprove statements in older textbooks. There is nothing out there that has "disproved" anything from religion (such as the Quran, which hasn't changed since the day it was written), so why would the book become outdated? Can't you accept that there are people of science who also follow religion deeply? Hell, some of our greatests scientists were strict Jews, but did their religious faiths hold back or dismiss their discoveries in physics and biology? The only major conflict I see in science and religion is between the creation of humans and the overarching question of how life started. That is a question which might take a millenia to answer, but currently these theories aren't strong enough to dismiss the religious claims.

There might be religious terrorists blowing up buildings, but there are religious insitutions that are helping promote human welfare. Take the genocide in Chilie for example, only the churches and synagoges were willing to "hide" and protect the refugees for essential manslaughter when the United States government was denying them entrance to the country. There might be some churches meddling science, but there are also those who promote human advancement and discoveries. You can't have a biased outlook on religion without looking at both sides, much like how I am not biased for religion even though I am a religious man. It is possible for religion and science to grow side by side, but that can't become possible if we have extreme religious people dismissing scientific claims, nor can it be possible when we have extreme atheists like you dismissing religious claims.

What you're hoping for is an ideal world, and I sure as hell will bet that if religion didn't exist, something else would take its place to create this "separated" feeling of yours. There are always two sides to the coin, and one side cannot physically exist without the other.

1 - I've written enough and engaged in enough debates to know damn well that taking 12 pages to explain every facet of my argument as well as give a detailed backstory to my conclusion is a waste of time.  Internet debates tend to be the worst for resorting to Ad Hominem attacks rather than arguing my point or presenting counter-proofs. I find the best and most efficient is to make a statement, offer minimal exposition, and let the debate go from there. 

2 - I'm not assuming anything, I'm basing my claims on many years of observation and many, MANY discussions with VERY intelligent theists.  The smarter a person is, the better they are at arguing using faulty logic and getting away with it. Religious people aren't stupid, but they do tend to be irrational.  Science may not be able to disprove intelligent design, but there's also no evidence supporting it.  "WE can't explain where we came from" is not equal to "since we can't understand it, it must have been done by a higher power."  

3 - Following it isn't dangerous in and of itself, following it and using archaic values to run a country or sway popular opinion is.  when tradition is more important than progress, then we end up in a world where it's still okay to persecute gays, blacks, and women, as examples. 

4 - yes, I already made this point. I know Religion does a lot of good, I know it helps impoverished nations, I know it donates to hospitals and helps in MANY MANY ways, and I'm certainly not complaining about that.  I'm complaining about the violent, aggressive, pushy, fundamentalists that give religion a bad name. 

I DO think religion is very irrational, but we are very irrational beings.  We cling to things that are dangerous, we do things that will hurt us, we eat food that will make us fat, and we buy videogames and movies, all because they make us happy, they give us comfort, just like religion.  Religion is like a blanket of security, gives us hope and unity and all those placebos, but happiness is happiness.  I just REALLY REALLY wish that's all religion was, I wouldn't be so hostile towards if if they kept their faith to themselves.  Instead we live in a world where I can't even answer my door without "HAve you found jesus" morons pushing their beliefs.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Jumpin said:

Better question that religious people and athiests can answer: What is the most powerful being in the Universe?

Another one, how did an object as complex as an eye come into being?

Let's start baby steps and take it to a level we can actually comprehend: what is the most powerful animal in the world?  One could argue that we are, but in a one-on-one fight with a bear, who would win?  Every species, every genus, every individual has a place in this world, and the tiniest thing, in proper numbers, can kill a being thousands of times its size.  there doesn't HAVE to be ONE strong being, the world got along juuuust fine before we humans came around and took over the place. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

zarx said:
blkfish92 said:
Runa216 said:
blkfish92 said:
Have one look at me.

...sure hope nobody used that joke already

sorry dude, like six people beat you to it. 

Well it was worth a shot =p

well mine was a joke where I was implying that I was a Autothiest...

Ha good stuff!

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I DO think religion is very irrational, but we are very irrational beings.  We cling to things that are dangerous, we do things that will hurt us, we eat food that will make us fat, and we buy videogames and movies, all because they make us happy, they give us comfort, just like religion.  Religion is like a blanket of security, gives us hope and unity and all those placebos, but happiness is happiness.  I just REALLY REALLY wish that's all religion was, I wouldn't be so hostile towards if if they kept their faith to themselves.  Instead we live in a world where I can't even answer my door without "HAve you found jesus" morons pushing their beliefs.  

That pretty much sums up your arguments. You're hoping for the ideal when in reality it can't happen. If religion weren't there then something else would take its place as a "placebo". And responding in a hostile manner by "being a moron pushing his belief" won't get you anywhere when you're trying to prove a point. Arguments don't work when you're completely one-sided.

I like how the OP doesn't respond to any of the actual valid arguments. Interesting.

Also, as I have said before, and as any knowledgeable scientist will tell you, Science does not PROVE anything. I am not saying that what Science has observed is wrong, discredited, or that I don't believe it. I am merely trying to emphasize the point that so many of you are using the words "proof, prove, etc." incorrectly when it comes to Science.

If you cannot even accept that, there is clearly no arguing with you.

nightsurge said:
I like how the OP doesn't respond to any of the actual valid arguments. Interesting.

Please, link me to actual, valid arguments.  I've seen none.  I've seen some that said "Well there is this one thing that supposedly happened that could be true", but that doesn't even remotely constitute a valid argument as far as the topic is concerned.  

Lack of Disproof is not proof. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
nightsurge said:

Please, link me to actual, valid arguments.  I've seen none.  I've seen some that said "Well there is this one thing that supposedly happened that could be true", but that doesn't even remotely constitute a valid argument as far as the topic is concerned.  

Lack of Disproof is not proof. 

And you have provided so much of your own? Really this entire thread is laughable.

scientists (51%) say they
believe in God or a higher power, while 41% say they do not.

SOURCE: articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/24/opinion/la-oe-masci24-2009nov24

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996