By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Runa216 said:
Navane said:
Runa216 said:

While I agree you can't substantiate an abstract thought, I'm calling out those who claim that God(or zeus or whatever) is a real thing and should be treated as such. If you believe in God, or Mohammed or whatever religion you follow, I fully endorse that and I'm certainly not aiming to belittle that.  I AM, however, getting sick of those who believe shoving it in everybody else's face, pushing it as absolute, undeniable truth while failing to back it up.  

God is a concept, a human creation...but there are many who insist there really IS a higher power controlling us, a sentient, divine being that is omniscient, onminpresent, and omnipotent.  

That's the difference. 

So if you know they can't back it up, and you know that God can't be proven, then why are you asking for proof that God exists? This whole thread is one big logic fail.

My point was that Religion itself is a logical failure, at least when it comes to any sort of creation or genesis theories. If they cannot back up their claims with evidence, they should be subject to the same scrutiny that flat-earth theorists were. Or Scientologists.  Philisophically speaking, sure, there could be a god, I'm not denying that.  Maybe we ARE just a program, maybe we are just a cute little ant farm for a much more intelligent race, I cannot possibly know that, but religions worldwide claim to have the indisputable answers, but are entirely unable to back up their claims.  If they want respect, they should earn it, not demand it. 

i have to give to ya Runa216 you make a good arguement

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Prove that he exists?

Your alive. The end.

you really think thats enough? your speaking from the point of religion. leave that behind, and come up with something logical. 

ok god is supernatural. is that your answer

existstance is nothing more then pure thought. in a space of nothing how can something just be created? how was god here before man? wht brouht him here? he couldn't have just existed! thats not logical by anymeans.

there had to be something before God and something here before that ect, or theres no way he could exists. nothing just exists there has to be some logic or rational reasoning behind it.

Immortal said:
It can't be proven. No divinity or similar concept can ever be proven to be any more than one's imagination.
Well, if I'm going down, I'm taking you with me. In a sense.
Tell me, can you really "prove" most scientific concepts (or anything at all)? They are all, ultimately, based on complete and utter assumptions. I mean, for example, a lot of scientific progress is made through observation. Tell me, what the heck does observation prove? Is there any reason to believe that what you, I or 7 billion people see has any basis in reality whatsoever? Science is also, you might say, based on logical deductions and reasoning. Tell me, what on earth is logic? Isn't it just what you think makes sense? Also, let's rewind a bit. How the heck do you prove anything at all? Just because your reasoning makes sense to yourself and 7 billion other people, it means that your reasoning is valid? I think not.
I'm definitely treading on existential grounds here (nothing can prove that we actually exist and stuff), but I'll be impressed if you can reasonably argue against this.
This is why I like Maths (well, the "Pure" kind, I suppose, if I know it well enough to refer to it). It needn't be real or apply to the world as you know it. It's all abstract and in your head, where nothing needs proof, :D.

Have you heard of Godel's incompleteness theorem? It is proven that you cannot prove the axioms of any mathematical system are consistent with each other. This means there are some mathematical statements that are true but cannot be proven to be true. Mathematics is at least as insecure as physics. Your argument that nothing can be proven is true but misleading: this can be relatively more or less sure. Like, 1+1=2 is much more certain than gravity, which is much more certain than string theory, and most religious claims about a God that affected the universe AFTER its creation (which seems to be a requirement for religion otherwise why worship/act different if there's no consequences) are among the least proven things on the planet.

once my brother asked me why a god would invent millions of stars without a life on it. if there would be only an earth but why did a god do that? was he bored or why was he thinking about so many different planets with different rock, atmosphere aso.

just why?

or did he just think about one small thing (like scientists say how all began) which became this gigantic universe by itself? if this is true i don't know why the jesus story should be true.

as i said yesterday i believe in something like a god as well but i have no clue what this is and i don't think that he "made" us and however the story continues.

Porcupine_I said:
nightsurge said:
Porcupine_I said:
nightsurge said:

I will ignore the slightly insulting OP's usage of "archaic" and other words that imply belief in a religion to be silly, old fashioned, or otherwise odd.

I just have two things to say:

1. Science never PROVES anything. This is a common misusage/misconception.
  1. If you wish to believe in the Big Bang Theory or other creation theories that don't rely on a devine being, explain to me where the very first object in the universe came from. They say the Big Bang started from a very small amount of elements that began moving extremely rapidly in a dense state. Well, what about where those elements came from? They had to come from somewhere, correct? Just a little philosophical conundrum.

Enjoy :)

the simple fact that we even discuss the big bang theory is due to that science has proven a lot of things to that point. Things that could not be accepted in other times, but they turned out to be true. and some were only proven because people stood up to their believes. and these things gradually became accepted as truth and fact and it was the religions who had to give way to knowledge.

it was never the other way around, and i doubt it ever will be.

otherwise the sun would still revolve around earth in the center of the universe and we would still be scared to sail over the edge.

or do you beleive these are theories too?

What I said was a fact.

Science does not PROVE anything. Yet you just used the words "proof, proven, prove" a lot in that response. Science can NEVER ever prove anything to 100% certainty and all educated scientists themselves know and accept this as fact.

It was never religion that claimed we were the center of the universe or that the earth was flat, it was the people's intelligence and Science at those points in time. So yes, those are/were theories and they have since evolved into what we understand today. Theories gain evidence to either support or refute their claims, but they never ever irrefutably prove anything. I was merely trying to emphasize that fact.

Also, I have avoided making my personal beliefs known up to this point, but I will divulge now. What I believe is a combination of both Scientific theories and God for the explanation of creation. There is no reason a god could not have used events such as the big bang or evolution to create the universe as it is today. The Bible intentionally leaves things up for interpretation, I feel. Such as when it says that God created the heavens and the earth, and created the earth in 6 days. But what is a "day" to an all powerful being that exists beyond time itself and has no essence of "time"? Millions of years forming the earth could be a blink of an eye to this being. He/She could very well have used volcanic eruptions, slow erosion, and evolution of species over millions of years to form what we have now. Time is merely a concept that we humans created. There is no reason one cannot believe in both Scientific theories such as the Big Bang/Evolution and in a higher power. But that's just my own personal beliefs from not accepting everything that was thrown at me at face value and making my own informed decisions on the topics.

Now, that is interesting, because if nobody can ever prove anything, why even use a universal creator to justify what is written in the bible?

by your definition the bible cannot be used as a source of anything at all, and every  educated person should be aware of that fact or does that not go both ways?

--That is why it is called "Faith" :) I never once said the Bible or a divine creator has been fully proven or any variation thereof.

And what makes you say religion never claimed we were the center of the universe? are you not familiar with the story of Galileo Galilei?

After 1610, when he began publicly supporting the heliocentric view, which placed the Sun at the centre of the universe, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture", and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

--Ahh, Catholics. They tend to create their own set of rules/guidelines that were not ever mentioned or even supported in the Bible. It happens sometimes with Christian denominations which is why I am non-denominational. The leaders of such denominations are power hungry as any human is and abuse that power just as often as anyone else does in a position of power, but I digress. There is no actual supporting evidence in scripture that claims the Earth is the center of the universe, the sun revolves around the earth, it is flat, etc. There is only flawed interpretations made by people of early time periods that lacked the Scientific knowledge that we have today.

so you claim there is no definitive proof that the earth is revolving about the sun?

--No, I claim that Science does not "PROVE" anything, merely, "Everything observed thus far is consistent with". But you are reading way too far into my comment about Science not proving anything. For more information, though, you can look here:

http://blog.drwile.com/?p=5725
Or google it yourself. There is plenty of information out there and sound reasoning for it.

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
just coming in to check on the progress

you expect progress? i can save you time!

don't!

its pointless to argue from either perspective cause you'll end up right back where you started and will have leran'd only wht you want to learn.

nightsurge said:
Porcupine_I said:
nightsurge said:
Porcupine_I said:
nightsurge said:

I will ignore the slightly insulting OP's usage of "archaic" and other words that imply belief in a religion to be silly, old fashioned, or otherwise odd.

I just have two things to say:

1. Science never PROVES anything. This is a common misusage/misconception.
  1. If you wish to believe in the Big Bang Theory or other creation theories that don't rely on a devine being, explain to me where the very first object in the universe came from. They say the Big Bang started from a very small amount of elements that began moving extremely rapidly in a dense state. Well, what about where those elements came from? They had to come from somewhere, correct? Just a little philosophical conundrum.

Enjoy :)

the simple fact that we even discuss the big bang theory is due to that science has proven a lot of things to that point. Things that could not be accepted in other times, but they turned out to be true. and some were only proven because people stood up to their believes. and these things gradually became accepted as truth and fact and it was the religions who had to give way to knowledge.

it was never the other way around, and i doubt it ever will be.

otherwise the sun would still revolve around earth in the center of the universe and we would still be scared to sail over the edge.

or do you beleive these are theories too?

What I said was a fact.

Science does not PROVE anything. Yet you just used the words "proof, proven, prove" a lot in that response. Science can NEVER ever prove anything to 100% certainty and all educated scientists themselves know and accept this as fact.

It was never religion that claimed we were the center of the universe or that the earth was flat, it was the people's intelligence and Science at those points in time. So yes, those are/were theories and they have since evolved into what we understand today. Theories gain evidence to either support or refute their claims, but they never ever irrefutably prove anything. I was merely trying to emphasize that fact.

Also, I have avoided making my personal beliefs known up to this point, but I will divulge now. What I believe is a combination of both Scientific theories and God for the explanation of creation. There is no reason a god could not have used events such as the big bang or evolution to create the universe as it is today. The Bible intentionally leaves things up for interpretation, I feel. Such as when it says that God created the heavens and the earth, and created the earth in 6 days. But what is a "day" to an all powerful being that exists beyond time itself and has no essence of "time"? Millions of years forming the earth could be a blink of an eye to this being. He/She could very well have used volcanic eruptions, slow erosion, and evolution of species over millions of years to form what we have now. Time is merely a concept that we humans created. There is no reason one cannot believe in both Scientific theories such as the Big Bang/Evolution and in a higher power. But that's just my own personal beliefs from not accepting everything that was thrown at me at face value and making my own informed decisions on the topics.

Now, that is interesting, because if nobody can ever prove anything, why even use a universal creator to justify what is written in the bible?

by your definition the bible cannot be used as a source of anything at all, and every  educated person should be aware of that fact or does that not go both ways?

--That is why it is called "Faith" :) I never once said the Bible or a divine creator has been fully proven or any variation thereof.

And what makes you say religion never claimed we were the center of the universe? are you not familiar with the story of Galileo Galilei?

After 1610, when he began publicly supporting the heliocentric view, which placed the Sun at the centre of the universe, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture", and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

--Ahh, Catholics. They tend to create their own set of rules/guidelines that were not ever mentioned or even supported in the Bible. It happens sometimes with Christian denominations which is why I am non-denominational. The leaders of such denominations are power hungry as any human is and abuse that power just as often as anyone else does in a position of power, but I digress. There is no actual supporting evidence in scripture that claims the Earth is the center of the universe, the sun revolves around the earth, it is flat, etc. There is only flawed interpretations made by people of early time periods that lacked the Scientific knowledge that we have today.

so you claim there is no definitive proof that the earth is revolving about the sun?

--No, I claim that Science does not "PROVE" anything, merely, "Everything observed thus far is consistent with". But you are reading way too far into my comment about Science not proving anything. For more information, though, you can look here:

http://blog.drwile.com/?p=5725
Or google it yourself. There is plenty of information out there and sound reasoning for it.

removed by user

Its impossoble to prove god exists since he actually doesnt in the first place. Its like proving Santas real.

don't mix religion and GOD together

GOD is the origin of everything we know

now whether there is heaven or a rebirth for our soul's,this is what is the only debating part

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

existstance is nothing more then pure thought. in a space of nothing how can something just be created? how was god here before man? wht brouht him here? he couldn't have just existed! thats not logical by anymeans.

there had to be something before God and something here before that ect, or theres no way he could exists. nothing just exists there has to be some logic or rational reasoning behind it.

You are thinking based on knowledge we humans possess, which is limited at best. Your thoughts are created from nothing every moment of every day, you should have no more belief in your own thoughts then you do of God. Why did there have to be something before God? if God is the 'begining and end of all' then God is the thing that existed before God. Logical thinking is not be used when those who believe in God show you their proof. Their faith is, and faith is something that comes from nothing.

Hmm, pie.