By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 the year of the PS3 or Xbox?

I definitely think the PS3 and Xbox360 will pull it off this year. I think the Wii-Wii ride is slowing down. A lot of people that bought the Wii or are still buying it are reselling it to make a profit because the demand is there.When a product has to be limited just to make consumer starve for it, it makes me wonder why this has to happened to make a suppose awesome system sell. If its that good why do that. It's not a bad system it's juts not the type of system, I think would be in favor for long. I predict a drop in price and slow in sales by the middle of the year. Ok PS3 & Xbox Haters get out your Gunz and start Shooting!!!!
Peace
~Lisa~.

Around the Network

Though i find your entire theory in short wrong. I see PS3 doing better than 360 this year. The Wii well i hesitate to make predictions since it is very hard to predict the wii.

invalidcommand said:
I definitely think the PS3 and Xbox360 will pull it off this year. I think the Wii-Wii ride is slowing down. A lot of people that bought the Wii or are still buying it are reselling it to make a profit because the demand is there.When a product has to be limited just to make consumer starve for it, it makes me wonder why this has to happened to make a suppose awesome system sell. If its that good why do that. It's not a bad system it's juts not the type of system, I think would be in favor for long. I predict a drop in price and slow in sales by the middle of the year. Ok PS3 & Xbox Haters get out your Gunz and start Shooting!!!!
Peace
~Lisa~.

Uhmm how is selling more than any sytem in the first year ever limited? I mean if there were only 10 million Wiis( which would be on par for the record previously set) maybe I could see that but when you are talking about over 20 million and most likely 24 million Wiis by the end of March doubling the previous champion the XBOX 360 and the PS2 in terms of both production and sales how is that limited?

If the Wii is limited so is the 360 as there would be more shipped Wiis by March than the 360 and PS3 will have.

Being in the position that the Wii is now Nintendo could pretty much ship what ever they want to retailers.

So this whole sentence is flawed because it does not have to be starved for it just is. If it was sold out and did 40 million would that be limited at what point does it not become limited?10? 20? 30? 50 ? 1000 million? BTW the DS had similiar shortages for a while.

There is nothing to indicate a slow down. In fact that at least for the next 6 months the Wii will be facing some sort of supply constraint.

sorry to disgree your first post INVALIDCOMMAND for one reason!!! just like your user name is your post is INVALID too lol ... Nintendo is doin' well because they understand there last fails and they know how to fix them!!!!

So, high demand means that demand is slowing. That's a novel interpretation.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time understanding the concept of supply. In about 14 months, Nintendo shipped around 20 milion units. In any normal first year, that's not limited supply - that's overkill, that's inventory sitting in a warehouse for months until stores finaly have empty shelf space. It's only because the Wii sells so quickly that the illusion of limited supply appears.

The high demand is not created by low supply. The low supply is being created by high demand.

Around the Network

I would not expect 360 or PS3 to manage to overcome the Wii... well, ever, really. The Wii has the casual side of the market's attention, and they make up an awful lot of the overall market... At best estimate, well over 2/3rds of it, in fact.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

P.S. I suspect the thread starter started this thread as flame bait to try to start something with the fallout being that it will get some 360 and/or PS3 fanboys banned.

Legend11 said:
I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

That's subjective, though. You have to accept that a large number of people (a plurality of the market, apparently) do not share your opinion of what constitutes a great game.

Legend11 said:

P.S. I suspect the thread starter started this thread as flame bait to try to start something with the fallout being that it will get some 360 and/or PS3 fanboys banned.

You're pretty paranoid, aren't you?

To the OP, wishful thinking usually leads to disappointment.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Its easy to predict the Wii just look at the DS trend and increase by about 25%

think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

Define great game, because if you mean million seller than no, Wii will have a lot more than PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)