By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Owners: Why haven't you bought Mass Effect 2?

Tagged games:

Michael-5 said:
Jay520 said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, wow Jay..ouch. I don't mean to insult Fallout, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon Souls or any other AAA RPG. These are all awesome games, three of my favorites. Mass Effect 2 is just generally accepted (by reviews, and hype) as a supperior game. Everyone has their preference, but if you make a list of 3/4 must have RPG's, why is the 4th one not nesessary?

Litterally Viper made a list of the best RPG's, and ME2 was quite litterally the missing hit. That's as bad as listing the best shooters on 360 and ignoring Halo. I'm not being arrogent for pointing that out, and never did I state arrogence of PS3 owners is the main or only reason that ME2 isn't selling on PS3.

Reviews are the opinions of individual critics. They are not, and never were, evidence to conclude that one game is superior than another. Nor are reviews meant to mirror the opinions of every single gamer.If that was true, and it's not, then games like GTA IV would not be seen by (some) gamers as the most dissapointing game of the series.

Viper did not make a list of the best RPG's (no one can). He made a list of his favorite RPG's, and you questioned him for that, as if his opinion was incorrect or wrong. That's my problem. His list may be odd in your opinion, but that doesn't warrant you to question him.

As you posted, everyone has they're own individual preference. So if someone gives they're preference, you have no right to label them as being arrogant or wrong

Michael-5 said:

Geez man, Mass Effect 2 is a severly underappreciated title on the PS3. I sincerly doubt that the game being a year old has anything to do with poor sales. This is GOTY 2010, this is not some bs game I'm standing up for. Why is it whenever I stand up for a 360 exclusive, or 360 favored game I'm an idiot, but when I stand up for a PS3 exclusive or favored game, I'm a genius?

I don't believe I called you an idiot, if so, I apologise. If you're implying that I'm attacking you for standing up for a 360 exclusive (though ME isn't) then you are wrong. I am attacking you because you questioned someone opinion because it didn't match yours.

I never once said anything negative about the 360, nor have I said anything positive about the PS3 in this thread. I don't see why you get the impression that I'm tying to defend the PS3 or downplay the 360. I also don't appreciate you associating me with the other posters you argue with.

EDIT: After reading my previous post, I've realised that I did label your actions as idiotic. While it's not the same as calling you an idiot, I apologise anyway.

Viper never said that he didn't want the game, nor that it wasn't his type of game. He listed 3 rather large scale AAA RPG's on the PS3 (3 of the 5 best reviewed RPG's), and said they were enough for him. I said that it's arrogence because he likely never tried Mass Effect and he already tossed it aside. Reviews aside, many can contest that Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games this generation, nevermind just best RPG, and on numerous websites it won GOTY last year, probably more then any other game.

However Viper never said it wasn't his type of game. He just said he had enough, so he won't even look at it. Mass Effect isn't Fire Emblem, it's not a niche game that doesn't always get localized. ME2 is one of the most high profile, and best quality RPG/Shooters out there. To ignore it, without giving it a chance (mainly because it's a port or 360 favoring game or 1 wasn't a PS3 game), I feel is arrogent. ME2 is an excellent game, and it can't be ignored just because you have enough.

Everyone has their own preference, but I still have every right to say if their opinion is arrogent if I feel it is. I can't say they are wrong, but if I feel their opinion is based on a prinicple which i feel is unfounded, then I can still say arrogent. Maybe Viper personally is fine only having 3 RPG's, not everyone plays as much RPG's as I do, but I feel any Shooter/RPG fan out there should give ME2 a try before casting it aside. Ratings mean nothing, but generally when a low volume RPG gets strong ratings unanimously, you know it's a good game.

There are plenty of reasons why he could have turned the game down. Just because he didn't actually list any doesn't give you the right to call him arrogent. You are assuming he turned the game down due to arrogence, when in actuality there are plenty of non-arrogent reasons why he could have turned the game down: the game's cover system, the game's lack of RPG elements, the game is too short for him, maybe it was arrogence, who knows?There was not enough evidence in his post for you to conclude that arrogence, or any other reason, was why he turned the game down.

In the first paragraph, you say you accused him of arrogence because he 'likely' never tried the game. You have no right to label anyone as arrogent because of your assumptions.

In the second paragraph, again, you make too many assumptions and jump to conclusions to quickly. You assume he 'won't look at the game'. I see no where in his post where he says he never touched the game. Sure, he says he 'couldn't care less' about the game. But that doesn't mean he's never played it.

Even if he never touched the game, which you have no evidence to believe, that doesn't mean he's arrogent. Maybe he didn't buy the game because it was stripped of most RPG elements, maybe he doesn't like cover shooters, Are ME games long enough for him? All are important questions that neither you or I have the answer to. Which means neither of us has enough evidence to call the guy arrogent.

In the third paragraph, you say you have the right to say if an opinion is based on arrogence. That is true only if you have sufficient evidence to back up such a claim. All you know is some guy, who may or may not have tried the game, decided not not to buy Mass Effect 2 for a various amount of unknown reasons. That is certainly not conclusive enough.

I deleted the rest of your post because you were referring to general ps3 owners whom I know nothing about. My main reason for replying to you is to question your reason for calling Viper arrogent. But for the record, I will say this: Most PS3 fans didn't buy ME2 because they never played ME1, they refuse to pay full price for a year-old game, and because they already have it on the X360. Of course, those are all assumptions, much like your claims, and they cannot be proven true.

My main point is this: Arrogence is a pretty strong trait to accuse someone of having. If you're going to use it, make sure you KNOW you have evidence to back up your claim. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. All the guy said was he already owned three RPG's that met his needs, therefore didn't feel the need to spend his money on another. That doesn't give you the right to go and insult the guy. That's one of the things I'm I dislike about this site. People are much too hostile & mean on here. It makes the entire site uncomfortable for anyone wanting to post their opinon.

P.S. Sorry for replying so late. Your post was so long that my phone couldn't load all the text correctly. It took me a while to find access to a computer.

Around the Network

I allready have it for PC and I don't buy same games on multiple platforms

Jay520 said:

There are plenty of reasons why he could have turned the game down. Just because he didn't actually list any doesn't give you the right to call him arrogent. You are assuming he turned the game down due to arrogence, when in actuality there are plenty of non-arrogent reasons why he could have turned the game down: the game's cover system, the game's lack of RPG elements, the game is too short for him, maybe it was arrogence, who knows?There was not enough evidence in his post for you to conclude that arrogence, or any other reason, was why he turned the game down.

In the first paragraph, you say you accused him of arrogence because he 'likely' never tried the game. You have no right to label anyone as arrogent because of your assumptions.

In the second paragraph, again, you make too many assumptions and jump to conclusions to quickly. You assume he 'won't look at the game'. I see no where in his post where he says he never touched the game. Sure, he says he 'couldn't care less' about the game. But that doesn't mean he's never played it.

Even if he never touched the game, which you have no evidence to believe, that doesn't mean he's arrogent. Maybe he didn't buy the game because it was stripped of most RPG elements, maybe he doesn't like cover shooters, Are ME games long enough for him? All are important questions that neither you or I have the answer to. Which means neither of us has enough evidence to call the guy arrogent.

In the third paragraph, you say you have the right to say if an opinion is based on arrogence. That is true only if you have sufficient evidence to back up such a claim. All you know is some guy, who may or may not have tried the game, decided not not to buy Mass Effect 2 for a various amount of unknown reasons. That is certainly not conclusive enough.

I deleted the rest of your post because you were referring to general ps3 owners whom I know nothing about. My main reason for replying to you is to question your reason for calling Viper arrogent. But for the record, I will say this: Most PS3 fans didn't buy ME2 because they never played ME1, they refuse to pay full price for a year-old game, and because they already have it on the X360. Of course, those are all assumptions, much like your claims, and they cannot be proven true.

My main point is this: Arrogence is a pretty strong trait to accuse someone of having. If you're going to use it, make sure you KNOW you have evidence to back up your claim. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly. All the guy said was he already owned three RPG's that met his needs, therefore didn't feel the need to spend his money on another. That doesn't give you the right to go and insult the guy. That's one of the things I'm I dislike about this site. People are much too hostile & mean on here. It makes the entire site uncomfortable for anyone wanting to post their opinon.

P.S. Sorry for replying so late. Your post was so long that my phone couldn't load all the text correctly. It took me a while to find access to a computer.

But he didn't say all those "potential reasons" He said he had enough RPG's and isn't interested. This is arrogent. I'm not saying he is an evil baby eating lunatic for not giving the game a chance, just a bit arrogent. I think the reason why a lot of people aren't interested in this game is simply because it's old and despite good ratings PS3 owners just don't care. It's a port (well remake) of one of the best games this gen, but to PS3 owners it's just a port of a game.

This isn't limited to PS3 fans, I said multiple times 360 owners will likely do the same for Dark Souls.

Viper said "Couldn't care less about the ME series, that's why. Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, & Fallout 3 are good enough for my RPG needs."

There is no indication of if he played it or not, or if he enjoyed it, or even if it's his type of game. Maybe he doesn't like the type of game who knows, but you can't attack me on potential situations I never claimed. Maybe is different from absolute.

Viper said I don't care about W. X, Y, and Z are good enough, so he isn't interested in W. I'm saying this is arrogent because he is ignoring Mass Effect without giving it a chance. His statement implies that he couldn't care less about the franchise because he has enough, not because the game is particularly unappealing to him. It deserves a second look, even if Viper has enough RPG's, this game is so good it deserves a second look.

No hypothetical situations, he said he has enough, that's why he isn't interested in that. I am adressing that claim, and nothing more.

That was my point, and I still stand by it. Other since then have made worse comments. bullza90 Simply said "because I don't play crap." This may have just been trolling, but it's still arrogant.

You don't have to agree with me, that's your call, but a lot of single console owners become arrogent to other franchises. Many PS3 owners who are fans of GT don't recognize Forza as a compeditor, and same goes with 360 fans and Uncharted/Killzone. I feel stupid brand associations get in the way of many purchases (in this case), and I have every right to believe this.

"Most PS3 fans didn't buy ME2 because they never played ME1, they refuse to pay full price for a year-old game, and because they already have it on the X360. Of course, those are all assumptions, much like your claims, and they cannot be proven true."

All likely true. However, my arguement is not looking into the game, not just not buying it. Viper said "I couldn't care less." If someone didn't buy the game after trying it out, that would be one thing (although a deo does not do this game justice), but this is not the point I raised, which you attacked.

Also to be fair, the game is a remake using the Mass Effect 3 engine, and it comes with all the DLC. It also comes with a prologue which goes over Mass Effect 1. It's not just full price for a 1 year old game, it should still have sold at least half of what ME1 did on 360 IMO.

BTW If you feel I jumped the gun by calling Viper arrogent, it's because arrogence was my response the the OP and his comment was the most arrogent, non trolling statement on that page. I may have been able to find a better example, a more concrete case, but his was the most convienient. I have no intention of demeaning others. His comment was the closest, and I only intended to quote it as an example. Using real people is hearsay, using an actual quote gets people to notice and think about it. His comment was still arrogent because he didn't address any flaws or style of the game which he didn't like. He said he couldn't care less because he had enough. I still stand by my point in stating this is somewhat arrogent.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I just bought it on Ebay for $24 brand new, sealed. I enjoyed the demo, I just didn't want to buy a year old game @ full price.

I played the PC version and went 10 hours in...and that was 3 months. I have not touched the game since, at first I was really into then I just kind of stopped and didn't go back to it. It barely feels like an RPG and that's what got me interested in the first place. I do wanna beat it, I just need some motivation to get back into it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Because all of them have it for 360 or PC (myself included) people that only game on one system is rare today. Also a huge part of the game is importing your save from the first game.

U$60 on PS3 (or maybe U$40 now?) and U$20 on 360 and PC, yeah it's a no brainer.

Cirio said:

I bought this game yesterday, and I've already put 11 hours in it. This is the first time I've played a video game for over 6 hours in one sitting because I usually can't manage to game for more than 2 hours, but the game is so damn interesting! The characters, story and overall presentation of this game is amazing and it is quickly climbing up to my favorite game this generation; it saddens me that ME2 sold only half a million on the PS3. I understand that the game was a year old port, but I still think it deserves more. Plus, pre-orders for ME3 on the PS3 aren't looking to promising either. The only downside I've found so far is that you have to install the game, the latest patch, AND the DLC included with the new copy before you play. These installations end up taking an hour!

So PS3 owners, why haven't you bought ME2? Is it because you're not interested in WRPGs? Or have you not been "hyped" enough towards this game? Do you have other reasons?

#1 you need a prescprition for Ritalin...ASAP

#2 no ME1...not worth the time for me when MessBox360 has ME1 exc.

Anyone who is even remotely on the fence on whether to get ME2 has to shut down their computer and get that damn game stat!

Get ME1 on you're gaming computer if you're so worried about playing the first one!

Get them both, play them both and enter into pure gaming nirvana.

thelastsoldier said:
Cirio said:

I bought this game yesterday, and I've already put 11 hours in it. This is the first time I've played a video game for over 6 hours in one sitting because I usually can't manage to game for more than 2 hours, but the game is so damn interesting! The characters, story and overall presentation of this game is amazing and it is quickly climbing up to my favorite game this generation; it saddens me that ME2 sold only half a million on the PS3. I understand that the game was a year old port, but I still think it deserves more. Plus, pre-orders for ME3 on the PS3 aren't looking to promising either. The only downside I've found so far is that you have to install the game, the latest patch, AND the DLC included with the new copy before you play. These installations end up taking an hour!

So PS3 owners, why haven't you bought ME2? Is it because you're not interested in WRPGs? Or have you not been "hyped" enough towards this game? Do you have other reasons?

#1 you need a prescprition for Ritalin...ASAP

#2 no ME1...not worth the time for me when MessBox360 has ME1 exc.

Seriously what are you even trying to say? 0_o