By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Video Game Systems Elimination Thread - The Results

+ PS2
- PS3

16 points for PS2

34 points for PS3

Common guys, PS3 better then PS2? pssh. You all know it's true.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

+ps3
-ps2

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

+ PS3
- PS2

Michael-5 said:

Mass Effect is my favorite franchise, and although multiplatform, it's weird starting from the second game on PS3.

I can understand that.  I actually credit the 360 as being the birthplace of the original Bioshock, too.  Even though it's multiplatform now, it was exclusive to the 360 for over a year, and that's the system where I played it first.

When you say you love Uncharted that much, do you mean just Uncharted 2 or both UC1 and 2? I ask because I loved UC2, but hated UC1 (just too glitchy for me).

I liked Uncharted 1, but yeah, Uncharted 2 is massively better; that's the game that makes me truly love the series, and I'm sure U3 won't disappoint either.

Also every system typically has 1 hallmark game, which stand out. For most PS3 owners I would imagine that is Uncharted 2. For 360 it's likely either Halo or Gears of War (Gears for me), for Wii it's Mario Kart and Zelda, for Gamecube it was Resident Evil 4, and for PS2 it could be many things (3D GTA for me). Xbox had Halo (best rated FPS ever). PS1 had MGS and FFVII, N64 had Zelda and Mario Kart (again), SNES had probably the best selection of JRPG's and Donkey Kong, and well yea.

I guess for you Uncharted is the hallmark of hallmarks. I feel similar for Mass Effect, but Chrono Trigger is still my favorite game.

Well, my hallmark game overall this gen is, as you can guess, Bioshock (NOT Bioshock 2, though).  But as far as hallmark games I associate with a particular system, then for PS3 it's definitely Uncharted 2  (MGS4 is close).  For Wii it's the Galaxies and Mario Kart (SSBB is close).  For DS it's Mario Kart, NSMB and Picross.  For Gamecube it's Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 (Wind Waker, RE1 remake and Eternal Darkness are close).  For DC it's Soul Calibur (MvsC2 is close).  For N64 it's both Zeldas and SM64 (Waverace 64 is close).  For PS1 it's Castlevania SOTN (Metal Gear Solid and RE1 are close).   Not too sure what I'd say for 360 (other than Bioshock, since that's where it debuted) or PS2...

IamAwsome said:

also, to the OP, why aren't you counting votes from people with under 50 posts?

To keep away alt accounts, in case someone decided to start up another account just to get more votes for their favorite.  Granted it sounds silly, but I've seen these type of threads get to the end where the passionate voting really begins, and suddenly you see these users with freshly created accounts and only 1 or 2 posts to their name participating.  While they could very well be legit new members, making this rule helps to avoid any of that drama.

Around the Network

I'll let the chips fall where they may and make this my final vote, helping out the underdog in the process.

+ PS2
- PS3

UPDATE:

Playstation 2   -  9 HP

Playstation 3   -  35 HP

Eliminated:

3.  Sega Genesis

4.  NES (Nintendo Entertainment System)

5.  Playstation

6.  SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

7.  Game Boy Advance/SP/Micro

8.  Sega Dreamcast

9.  Nintendo 64

10.  Nintendo DS/Lite/DSi/XL

11.  Game Boy/Pocket/Color

12.  Gamecube

13.  Sega Saturn

14.  Wii

15.  Sega Master System

16.  Turbo Grafx 16

17.  Playstation Portable/PSP Go

18.  Xbox 360

19.  Neo Geo/CD

20.  Colecovision

21.  Atari 5200

22.  Turbo Grafx CD

23.  Neo Geo Pocket/Color

24.  Sega CD

25.  Sega Nomad

26.  Atari Lynx

27.  Sega Game Gear

28.  Xbox

29.  Intellivision

30.  Commodore 64

31.  Atari 2600

32.  Atari 7800

33.  Turbo Express

34.  Philips CD-i

35.  3DO

36.  Odyssey

37.  Atari Jaguar

38.  Sega 32X

39.  Virtual Boy

40.  Nokia N-Gage/QD

+ps3
-ps2

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

+ PS2
- PS3

archbrix said:
Michael-5 said:

Mass Effect is my favorite franchise, and although multiplatform, it's weird starting from the second game on PS3.

I can understand that.  I actually credit the 360 as being the birthplace of the original Bioshock, too.  Even though it's multiplatform now, it was exclusive to the 360 for over a year, and that's the system where I played it first.

When you say you love Uncharted that much, do you mean just Uncharted 2 or both UC1 and 2? I ask because I loved UC2, but hated UC1 (just too glitchy for me).

I liked Uncharted 1, but yeah, Uncharted 2 is massively better; that's the game that makes me truly love the series, and I'm sure U3 won't disappoint either.

Also every system typically has 1 hallmark game, which stand out. For most PS3 owners I would imagine that is Uncharted 2. For 360 it's likely either Halo or Gears of War (Gears for me), for Wii it's Mario Kart and Zelda, for Gamecube it was Resident Evil 4, and for PS2 it could be many things (3D GTA for me). Xbox had Halo (best rated FPS ever). PS1 had MGS and FFVII, N64 had Zelda and Mario Kart (again), SNES had probably the best selection of JRPG's and Donkey Kong, and well yea.

I guess for you Uncharted is the hallmark of hallmarks. I feel similar for Mass Effect, but Chrono Trigger is still my favorite game.

Well, my hallmark game overall this gen is, as you can guess, Bioshock (NOT Bioshock 2, though).  But as far as hallmark games I associate with a particular system, then for PS3 it's definitely Uncharted 2  (MGS4 is close).  For Wii it's the Galaxies and Mario Kart (SSBB is close).  For DS it's Mario Kart, NSMB and Picross.  For Gamecube it's Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 (Wind Waker, RE1 remake and Eternal Darkness are close).  For DC it's Soul Calibur (MvsC2 is close).  For N64 it's both Zeldas and SM64 (Waverace 64 is close).  For PS1 it's Castlevania SOTN (Metal Gear Solid and RE1 are close).   Not too sure what I'd say for 360 (other than Bioshock, since that's where it debuted) or PS2...

Bioshock for 360? You credited 360 as Bioshocks birthplace, and it was a timed exclusive.

Nice to see a Picross fan. I love that puzzle game, but Picross 3D felt a bit unpolished. Never got into Mario Kart on the handhelds, I only like that game playing with friends. I really only play single player to unlock racers and tracks.

Oh and those "hallmark" franchise, weren't my personal favorites, I was trying to be general. For me 360 - Mass Effect (franchise) with Gears of War and Lost Odyssey coming close, PS3 - Uncharted 2, Wii - Mario Kart & Donkey Kong, DS - Advance Wars Dual Strike, Pokemon Black, Fire Emblem, PSP - Jeanne d'Arc and GT, PS2 - GT3 and GTA, GCN - RE4 and MP (like you), XB - Halo 1 & 2, PS1 - Twisted Metal, XenoGears, N64 - Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, and Mario Party 1-3, and I'll stop at SNES - DK, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

+ PS2
- PS3