By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ok, I am gonna say it - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is in many ways much better than God of War 3

This game is a lot better mixure of hack n' slash, adventure and platformer. First of, the combat is much better and much more deeper (GOW combat didnt chnage ever since GOW2), it has a lot more moves and combos, and it allows player to be more tactical (shadow of ligh/dark powers are very useful). Also, platforming is just more fun, probably because Gabriel climbs on to everything.

Secondly, level design in Castlevania absolutely blows GOW3 out of the way. You'll be fighting in forests, swamps, ancient ruins, abbandoned castles, freezing mountains, sewers, tunels, towns, villages etc etc while in GOW most of the time you spend in dark grey caves and dull temples of Olympus, very few enviormental variety. Also, the enemies themselfes are much cooler in Castlevania, in my opinnion. There are tons of different ones in every level and in every chapter, and their design is fantastic. GOW 3 doesnt really have ''new'' enemies except chimera, Centaur and stone statues, buth that's it, only 3 new enemy models in the whole game. Also, boss battles in Castlevania are almost just as epic if not more epic than in GOW 3. The first 2 titans in Castlevania you fight are amazing and actually more believable and realistic. It felt like I was playing Shadow of Colossus only with much better graphics. Not to mention the setting in C:LOS was just much darker and better IMO.

Also, the game is over 15-25 hours long. Where the hell do you find an action adventure game that long in this gen? The last time I remeber having a similar experience was Resident evil 4. Gow 3 is barely 9-10 hours long, when playing on normal difficulty. And thats the another thing I like about C:LOS more than GOW3, it adds just much bigger value to your 60 bucks (altho the game is 30 bucks now)

Now the only thing I would give GOW 3 advantige is graphics of course (but Castlevania looks extremly good as well, I was amazed by both technical and artistic achivments in the game) and story, but that has more to do with GOW being a trilogy, so its normal to have a more deeper and more develped story. As for the characters, I found Kratos to be better than C:LOS characters, but hes pretty much the only one I like and care about in GOW. And note that CD:LOS is my first Castlevania game ever, so the characters there might have deeper stories that I am un aware of.

So, what do you think about the game?

Around the Network

So what I gather from this is that the multi-plat is better than the PS3 exclusive and thus 360 is better than PS3.

d21lewis said:
So what I gather from this is that the multi-plat is better than the PS3 exclusive and thus 360 is better than PS3.

Wtf?? stupid.

I agree, I have both games and I prefered castlevania better. The ending was spectacular, the music is incredible, graphics and amazing for a multiplat and the trophies are difficult!

Wow this is one of the stupidest thread's ever. In God of War 3 you got new weapons, new attacks and of course the visuals are unbeatable. I didn't like the plot much it was okay while God of War 3 the plot was in one word epic. God of War 3 is an intense game you can play for hours and hours. Castlevania may be longer but seriously it almost has no action when comparing it to GOW 3! The voice acting was amazing in God of War 3 and just average in Castlevania. Overall Castlevania was a decent hack and slash game while God of War 3 has proven to be the best this gen.

Around the Network

To be honest I preferred it over GoW3 as well.

Both games put me to sleep thanks to static camer, boring button mashing gameplay and focus QTE/cutscenes. But since God of War 3 did what God of War does, I can't fault it. LoS on the other hand...freekin hate its existance in the castlevania universe.

dsage01 said:
Wow this is one of the stupidest thread's ever. In God of War 3 you got new weapons, new attacks and of course the visuals are unbeatable. I didn't like the plot much it was okay while God of War 3 the plot was in one word epic. God of War 3 is an intense game you can play for hours and hours. Castlevania may be longer but seriously it almost has no action when comparing it to GOW 3! The voice acting was amazing in God of War 3 and just average in Castlevania. Overall Castlevania was a decent hack and slash game while God of War 3 has proven to be the best this gen.

Yea , you get different weapons, and yet all of them except cestus are extremly similar and are almost the same. Visuals, like i said, are miles ahead of castlevania. As for plot, its unfair to compare the ending of a trilogy to a single game with a a single story and the ending in GOW was just plain disapointig. God of War is only intense at the beginning, the fight with Cronos and the end, Castlevania also has many epic boss battles especially when you fight against the titans. And GOW3 you can play for 9 hours max and tha  leave it, maybe come back for trophies Castlevania, has a ''trial'' for every level you complete. A trial is a special condidtion or a task under which you have to complete a level. Castlevania also requires you to go back to previous levels one you are stronger to unlock new weapon upgrades you couldnt unlock before. The voice acting, you r right there, but I bet GOW3 had uch larger budget and nu,ber of people working on it than Castlevania. And the big reason GOW 3 recieved the reception it did, was thaks to its brand name and hype. Not saying the game is bad, but it was extremly hype and brand driven

disolitude said:
Both games put me to sleep thanks to static camer, boring button mashing gameplay and focus QTE/cutscenes. But since God of War 3 did what God of War does, I can't fault it. LoS on the other hand...freekin hate its existance in the castlevania universe.

Castlevanai is most certanly is not button mashing. Try to get trough first 3 bosses with it and see where you'll end up. And I hated the  the camera in the game too.

I tought you liked Castlevania games

Hmm initially I thought that you would be out to lunch but you raise some great points.
Additional Points for C:LOS: Narrator is incredible
Additional Points for GOW3: Kratos is just too badass and is much better lead character

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo