By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNN: Only 10% Of Gamers Finish Their Games

Maybe VGC should start compiling this data, too. I mean, we already say which games we have and whether or not we've completed them in our "My Games" sections. This could lead to some very interesting comparisons such as which games are completed the most and such.
Now I don't feel like updating my games list since I've completed an impressive 63% of them, :O...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

Not surprising at all.

The focus of today's market is mp. Soon every single game in the world will include a MP element to it. Could you imagine a MP aspect in Zelda? I cringe just thinking about it.

Another example: a few years ago, Uncharted 2 would be considered a SP kind of experience and no MP would be considered necessary. I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the reason U2 sold so much more than the original was because of the MP. Hell, the U3 demo was MP only. That should tell you something.

To sum up: my taste in gaming is becoming oudated. Soon, I'll only play purposefully retro games like Scott Pilgrim, Mega Man 9/10 and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

23 is too young to feel this old. ;-(

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Supports my opinion that games do not sell because of quality but because of marketing...

It makes me wonder about every other industry. How many Tools, Clothes, Books etc. are bought and never used worn read...

I guess I'm in that 10% of gamers :P

I finish all my games... MULTIPLE TIMES!. I think the game I cleared most times this gen is Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, which I cleared 14 times to get all 40 emblems.

There were other games in previous gens that I cleared more than 20 times though. I always do that kind of stuff to unlock everything there's to unlock... Games like Parasite Eve 2 had a lot of stuff to unlock, and other games like Devil May Cry 3 not only had a lot of stuff to unlock but they also were so fun and hard to master that I just couldn't stop playing and replaying and replaying :P.

I think the only game this gen that I only cleared once was Final Fantasy XIII, but I usually don't replay FF games more than once. The only exceptions are Final Fantasy VI (only twice), Final Fantasy VIII (like 4 times), Final Fantasy XII (1st time playing normally, 2nd time doing a no level up challenge) and Dirge of Cerberus (like 5 or more times, it's a short game and has some stuff to unlock :P)

I believe the people who don't complete their games is because they get new games and leave whatever they were playing to play their new game, they don't really like what they bought and can't get themselves to finish it, they don't feel any sense of accomplishment or pride by clearing their games/unlocking everything/clearing in hardest difficulty/doing challenges/Mastering the game/etc... or maybe they just don't have the time to complete them... or maybe they're one of those people that only buy games to play the multiplayer mode.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

I definitely have trouble finishing games sometimes, and currently have a couple of unfinished ones sitting on my coffee table, including Deadly Premonition and Metro 2033. I think the main reason why I don't finish them is because something else comes along I want to play and I start acting like a kid on Christmas morning or that dog from Up. I get distracted, start playing the shiny new game, and the old one gets neglected.

"But I don't want to go among mad people!" said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here."

Follow me on Twitter! @stefaniefogel

Around the Network
Lyrikalstylez said:

Thats odd......

You'd think buying a $60 game, you'd try to get your moneys worth by finishing the entire game.....people are seriously weird!

The only game I have finished since Goldeneye 64 was released is Halo Reach. Goldeneye got me so addicted to multiplayer that to me most single player campaigns feel like a waste of time. So to me getting my money's worth means playing as much multiplayer as possible. I won't even buy a game unless it has competitive multiplayer.

Final Fantasy games probably have a decent impact in that number.Especially XIII.

I have very few games that i haven't finished, and strangely they're all on the DS. Bomberman DS (the early one in 2005) was too boring, Final Fantasy III DS had a weird setup before the Point of No Return before the final boss that made grinding for the final boss far more trouble than it was worth, so i just dropped it, FF Tactics A2 had a semi-final boss that was cheap as fuck (who the hell gives an enemy with wayyy to much HP the ability to instantly fully heal itself any time it damn well pleases?), and Izuna 2 had a maddeningly difficult final dungeon

Everything else i have i've beaten at least once, except for Okamiden which i just got.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

pezus said:
salaminizer said:

I have a lot of games I begin to play and stop because I buy new ones. I understand that people may not finish games, but I also noticed that there a lot of games on Steam with low % for quite early achievements. only 71% of Darksiders players got to Vulgrim, and I say only because you don't need a lot playtime to meet him!!

Many buy their games very cheap on Steam when there's a sale and don't play it until much later on.

ah, right, I forgot that it counts you in the stats even if you didn't even download the game. I wish there was a way to check only those that actually ran the game once.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Some games are just too big to finish :S

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~