By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Could we actually fight a war against an alien race?

Could the human race take on an alien invasion?

Yes, we'd have those ali... 13 13.27%

No, they'd either enslave us or kill us all! 75 76.53%

It would be too close to call! 9 9.18%

Total:97

Whoa dodece, this really seems to be an area of expertise for you.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
About the ability to fight a long war, with even very powerful weapons, but limited resources and troops, and light years from home, just one word: logistics.

And what tells that the war will be long??? They most probably need the "click" of a trigger to make us all dissappear.

Total annihilation is a thing (but for what purpose should they travel for light years in space just to do it?), conquering a planet while leaving its ecosystem, or most of it, alive (except humans if considered really undesirable) is completely different.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think we need an alien invasion right now. Maybe then people around Earth will stop killing each other and actually work together if this happen.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

The Aliens don't have to do anything. Humanity would probably destroy itself.

drkohler said:
superchunk said:
drkohler said:
sapphi_snake said:
superchunk said:

2) Big Bang started at a single point and spread out over an endless vacuum of space. This means that solar systems/planets closest to the point of origin would be vastly older than systems further out.

Great post! Especially point 2, which I wanted to address myself.

Please do so. But correctly, most of 2) is wr

I like learning new things... please point out what is wrong. I wrote it in a general sense as I know in everything there are extremes, however, if I'm wrong about these generalities of Big Bang, let me know.

This is not the place for astrophysics but just two things (crudely simplified for shortness):

a) there is no "endless vacuum of space" - outside of our universe, there is nothing. It is space itself that is expanding. Yes we use the "inflatable balloon with dots on it" to demonstrate how galaxies' distancies all get bigger. Good model but incorrect.

b) there can't be areas where everything is older. Otherwise astronomers would be able to locate the center of the universe. Big bang created all the matter there is (after a sequence of stuff happened etc etc) so every point in space could be the site of the very first star (again confirming there is no way of finding the center of the universe).

On B.  Shouldn't that which moves out farther be moving faster and therefore aging slower?

We probably could find the center of the universe... if we had better technology.

Around the Network
sapphi_snake said:
scottie said:
sapphi_snake said:
scottie said:
We wouldn't stand a chance in a conventional war.

Their technology in general would be so far ahead of ours to allow inter solar system travel.

We are assuming that they are militaristic enough to simply attack us as opposed to diplomacising. I think it very likely that such an aggressive species will have put a similar amount of their scientific research into warfare as we did. Therefore, their technology will be vastly superior.

If they came to wipe us out, we would die, with the possible exception of disease killing off the invaders a la war of the worlds. If they came to enslave us, we would probably eventually win/force them to give up.

Diplomacising? Do humans diplomacise with forest animals before cutting down a forest? If they're that advanced, what makes you think they won't view us as simply an inferior species, and do what we do to the animals we consider to be 'inferior' to us (zoos, funting for sport, circuses, eating us etc.)?

And it's unlikely that a resolution like in War of the Worlds would happen in real life. It is a deus ex machina after all. If the aliens are that advanced, I'm sure they'd study the atmosphere and the environment before exposing themselves to it. Heck, we humans would do the same too. 

There is plenty of possibility of a diplomatic outcome of aliens turning up. They could be a more kinda civilisation than colonial humans.

Furthermore, you may compare us with animals in our inability to do damage to invading aliens, but we have one thing the animals don't have, the sheer bloody mindedness to give it a shot. If aliens were to attack, we would probably detonate nukes as a last resort rather than letting the aliens get our planet :P

You only use diplomacy with those whom you consider your equals.

Humans only use diplomacy with those they consider their equals.

Well that's not even true anymore really as people are moving away from that slowley.

Who knows what alien culture would be like.

It depends on how advanced they are exactly. If they come from a planet 20 lightyears away and haven't got faster than light travel, it would take decades for reinforcements to arrive if necessary. Furthermore, their intel might be out of date, due to how rapidly humanity has advanced these past few decades.

Love and tolerate.

Kasz216 said:
drkohler said:
superchunk said:
drkohler said:
sapphi_snake said:
superchunk said:

2) Big Bang started at a single point and spread out over an endless vacuum of space. This means that solar systems/planets closest to the point of origin would be vastly older than systems further out.

Great post! Especially point 2, which I wanted to address myself.

Please do so. But correctly, most of 2) is wr

I like learning new things... please point out what is wrong. I wrote it in a general sense as I know in everything there are extremes, however, if I'm wrong about these generalities of Big Bang, let me know.

This is not the place for astrophysics but just two things (crudely simplified for shortness):

a) there is no "endless vacuum of space" - outside of our universe, there is nothing. It is space itself that is expanding. Yes we use the "inflatable balloon with dots on it" to demonstrate how galaxies' distancies all get bigger. Good model but incorrect.

b) there can't be areas where everything is older. Otherwise astronomers would be able to locate the center of the universe. Big bang created all the matter there is (after a sequence of stuff happened etc etc) so every point in space could be the site of the very first star (again confirming there is no way of finding the center of the universe).

On B.  Shouldn't that which moves out farther be moving faster and therefore aging slower?

We probably could find the center of the universe... if we had better technology.

1. You have to explain better what you mean but I think you compare the big bang to an explosion only the big bang isnt like that.

2. There is no center of the universe. There is no starting point. Cosmological things are hard to grasp with every day experience.