By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 80% DS owners are 8-16?

According to this nytimes article, 80% DS owners are of the ages 8 to 16.

Whose ass are they pulling that stat from? Wedbush Morgan, of course.

Around the Network

Where are those demographic charts that show Japan's DS audience makeup? They were about 50% under-20.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Right, and they all buy Brain Training.

Reggie has stated that the average age for Wii players is almost 30. I would assume these DS numbers are quite a bit off.

Wow, Wiistation I wouldn't think so but could be. Alot of older people love Wii Sports and when I showed then a Wii Fit trailer they all wanted one :)

Love the Lego Star Wars picture!

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Around the Network

how the hell do they try to justify these stupid statistics - it's kinda like we went round a primary school and asked the age of a DS user then used these stats to work out their age demographic.

Here's another useless made up stat - 90% of internet statistical articles make me feel dirty for reading them.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

I only know two people who have a DS, one is a 16 year old boy who got it for the Zelda and FF spin-off's and the other is a girl soon 7 years of age who bought it for Nintendogs. I don't know what demographic the DS has, but here in Norway it's mostly considered a toy for the younger kids/youth.

I have to call BS on these numbers ... Years ago it was reported that (something like) 1/3 of all GBA owners were over the age of 30 and prefered the GBA because it had the 2D games they grew up on. I couldn't imagine that a device which has sold dramtically faster than the GBA because it appeals to older gamers has a dramatically smaller userbase of people over 30 (let alone 16).

Once again the fact checking from conventional news outlets is amazing ...

Maybe its just in the US

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I googled it. It must be true that 80% DS owners are kids.

The second hit proves it,
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Wb6&q=average+age+of+DS+owners&btnG=Search&meta=