By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What does being athiest mean to you?

Boutros said:
Rath said:
Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Being an atheist means being a non-believer. I don't believe in a god. That's it.

That is not accurate.

Being an atheist is the belief that God doesn't exist. But it's still a belief.

Agnostics are the ones who can call themselves non-believers.

Agnosticism is the belief that it can't be known if god exists or not. You can be an atheist or a theist and still be an agnostic.

Well yeah but the way you say it everything is a belief. Agnostics is what could be considered as the closest to being a non-believer.

I don't think atheism is always a belief, its most broad definition is the lack of a belief in any deity. The lack of a belief is in itself not a belief.

The statements 'I don't believe there is a god' and 'I believe there is no god' are quite different yet are both lumped under atheism.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Athiest: Has full belief that there is no god.
Thiest: Has full belief that there is a god.
Agnostic: Believes that there is not enough evidence to have full belief in either of the above.

In that case, most buddhists are atheists. Because Buddha didn't believe there is God but he believed there is afterlife (nirvana is afterlife for buddhists). Sure, a lot of buddhists believe in God but it wasn't part of original buddhism. I think there are other religions too where people believe in afterlife but not in God. Just having full belief that there is no God is IMO not enough to say you atheist because there is always a possibility you still believe in afterlife. 

an atheist is just as ignorant as a religious person. I am agnostic.

maverick40 said:

benao87 said:

So please tell us in detail what it means to be an atheist and how is life supposed to be functional without reincarnation or how it just continues to be how it is

Eh? Do you need to believe in the after-life in order to have a functional life?

I just can't believe in the existence of a higher being, who controls our destiny. When you die, thats it.

we live life like theres no end

when we start to think about it then we make a WILL for our loved ones,that in this life

what i meant by functional life was hinting about life in general,birth and death

Around the Network
benao87 said:

So please tell us in detail what it means to be an atheist and how is life supposed to be functional without reincarnation or how it just continues to be how it is

Eh? Do you need to believe in the after-life in order to have a functional life?

I just can't believe in the existence of a higher being, who controls our destiny. When you die, thats it.

believing in god doesn't mean he controls you

it just makes us understand before creation and after creation realms

Rath said:
maverick40 said:

haha that was funny. I don't feel superior to both at all. As a scientist i need proof about all these things and there is no proof that god does or doesn't exist. 

Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Being an atheist means being a non-believer. I don't believe in a god. That's it.

That is not accurate.

When you fill a form that asks for your religion (it happens in the UK for statistical purposes when, for example, you apply for university), there is no 'atheist' option, it says non-believer. It's the same.

I don't believe in god. Therefore I believe there is no god. What's the difference? I can't not believe in something and at the same time not have the belief that that something doesn't exist.

How can you not believe in god but at the same time not have the belief that there isn't a god? That's like saying not believing in bigfoot is not the same as the belief that there is no bigfoot.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

brendude13 said:
Jay520 said:
Athiest: Has full belief that there is no god.
Thiest: Has full belief that there is a god.
Agnostic: Believes that there is not enough evidence to have full belief in either of the above.

I think there should be another definition for "Somebody who doesn't give a shit because we don't know and will never know."

Really? I never understood people like you. How can you not care if there is God and afterlife? Theism, if its true, its of an extremly big importantce, if its not true, its of no importantce. The only thing theism cant be is of a middle importantce. If you dont care there is God, than you dont beleive in one, and your thus atheist. There is no middle fence in stuff like that

Troll_Whisperer said:
Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That is not accurate.

When you fill a form that asks for your religion (it happens in the UK for statistical purposes when, for example, you apply for university), there is no 'atheist' option, it says non-believer. It's the same.

I don't believe in god. Therefore I believe there is no god. What's the difference? I can't not believe in something and at the same time not have the belief that that something doesn't exist.

How can you not believe in god but at the same time not have the belief that there isn't a god? That's like saying not believing in bigfoot is not the same as the belief that there is no bigfoot

Eh We're hesitant. We just don't have that much attachment to either of the opposing beliefs as the debate over who is right and who is wrong had become like a cycle but we would welcome whatever is proven(if that's even proven.)