By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and the FPS Genre

clerk said:
MrMe said:
Could the balance board also be useful in FPS in any way? Need to walk forward, lean forward, walk left, lean left etc etc?

How about this. When you need to walk/run/sneak, you lift your heels one at a time, while keeping your toes on the board, and everytime one of your heels touches the board, the charcter takes a step. When you lift both heels you'll jump. And when you lean, the character of course leans the way you lean. Oh man, please let Retro do an original FPS ip with the board.

And what action is taken by the character on screen when you fall flat on your face when you lose your balance and break your nose on the floor?

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

Why would you fall? have you heard repports about people falling while playing Wiifit? you have to do moves like that all the time in WiiFit.

The technology is very cool and if its refined for the home market it could mean amazing games. The lack is power in the Wii is one factor why developers may move away from it but with examples like this it could see game development take a different direction.

I hope there are more games taking advantage of the technological possibilities that the Wii is basically designed for.

just seems a lot to do while trying to use the Wiimote to aim on the screen then you've got walking backwards, turning, crouching, lying (in some games - to me I dont see the point in complicating an easy task like walking.

What if a wheel chair bound person wants to enjoy the game?

On Topic though - I hope there is an outburst of quality FPS games for the Wii as I love the fact the MP3 had small insects etc flying fast to hit as you can offer than level of challenge with a Wiimote - it was a big suprise to me how much easier RE4 was on the Wii than the PS2 due to control accuracy and I want FPS to compensate for that and really vamp up the difficulty settings for me.

I'd also love a Max payne style bullet mode game with ridiculousl amount of enemies on screen to shoot at any one time - that would also be mint.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

In the degree of immersion and control, the Wii has the potential to completely annihilate the competition and take over the FPS scene, not to mention countless others.

Problem is, that's only a potential. Developers can easily mess that up.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

the wii has the power to run the unreal 2 engine....

a truly spectactular fps game that does 60fps and excellent controls, maps and has a good online mode would help the wii immensely...

unfortunately while mohh2 is an excellent game- it has Zero advertising...

The Wii will eventually carve out a solid FPS market. But it'll be a different one that the 360/ps3's. Because as awesome as the controls are, it will never be able to manage the graphics or the online ease of games like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4.

Which is fine, as it can still make some awesome games.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Troll_Monster said:
Sqrl said:
Troll_Monster said:
While the Idea is cool, it would only really work for light gun shooters and not FPS, the reason I say this is that FPS need more freedom of camera so you can look around and shoot people that could be behind you, but like I said it would be good for light gun shooters since your camera is already limited in it's movements.

Just curious have you played MP3 or MoH:H2? Those games have already proven that this control scheme can work brilliantly in an FPS. The sensitivity settings have been the biggest complaints and can easily be left variable for the player to decide on since it seems like different people want different settings.

if you looked closely at the thread it's not about the wiimote for FPS, it's about that head tracking thing that the asian guy has made which the OP has put up a link too, that's what I'm refering to in my post as only being good for light gun shooters.

You do realize he is the tread starter, right?  And, if you read the whole post and don't focus simply on the two sentences that reference head tracking, you'll notice he's talking about the Wii and FPS's in general.

A large part of the Wii userbase consists of people who aren't interested in FPS. Many of those who are interested probably have a PC on which they can play FPS with mouse and keyboard. Unless the Wiimote allows for better FPS control than mouse and keyboard, I don't see much of a market for Wii FPS.

The Wii has already proven to be the best at FPS game controls on consoles (MP3 and MOH2 to prove it). Playing an FPS with dual analog controls is pathetic in comparison. Now, in terms of "the wii isn't powerful enough" argument, sure, perhaps the Wii doesn't have quite the horsepower for some of the most cutting edge graphics engines. But, take games like Unreal Tournament 2004.. The wii can definately pull off all of the detail and physics of that game, which isn't shabby at all, and combined with the Wii's superior FPS controls could make for a very nice version of that game (or games along those lines). There have been FPS games for many many years that were running just fine on hardware inferior to the Wii's current offerings. So, there certainly should be more than enough opportunity for a game developer to game complex FPS's with the added benefit of Wii controls. (I'd love to see UT2004's onslaught game mode on the Wii. The vehicle controls would be a sweet combination with Wii control schemes)