By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and the FPS Genre

No doubt everyone knows that as of right now the 360 is the undisputed king of the console FPS.  But given the reaction to the control style from games like Metroid Prime 3 and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 etc...is there the potential for the Wii to become a powerhouse FPS console?  It is certainly a long way off from taking the FPS crown and I think the online capabilities of the 360 will likely keep it safe from the Wii as a contender for that title but I do think the Wii has enormous potential on for the FPS genre and I would love to see a great studio step up to the challenge. 

Economically Speaking:

It is clear that the largest established console FPS userbase is on the 360.   But this also means that developers are releasing a ton of FPS games onto the console and this can easily be seen by a genre breakdown of the 360's released and upcoming games.  So with the reduced developement costs, lower competition in the genre, and the potential of the Wii remote control scheme I think the Wii is ripe for a good developer to come along and produce the next major FPS franchise.

For whoever does decide to travel down this path I really hope they take a look at Johnny Lee's head-tracking video and really take this thing to the next level.  And on that note I have a question for people.  

How many people would have a problem with an FPS that required two Wii remotes for single player if you were getting the results shown here for it?

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Could the balance board also be useful in FPS in any way? Need to walk forward, lean forward, walk left, lean left etc etc?

The possibilities are tantalizing. Personally I get the feeling that development won't happen until the Wii userbase is something like Wii >= 1.5(PS3+XBox360). There's just going to have to be a ton of Wii consoles out there before someone takes the financial risk, i.e., a big budget and a server infrastructure to support online. Maybe I'm underestimating the risk a publisher is willing to take.

The head tracking technology is probably a better way of handling leaning, but I'm sure there is something the balance board could be used for...I'm just not sure what or if it would be worthwhile.

While the Idea is cool, it would only really work for light gun shooters and not FPS, the reason I say this is that FPS need more freedom of camera so you can look around and shoot people that could be behind you, but like I said it would be good for light gun shooters since your camera is already limited in it's movements.

Around the Network
Troll_Monster said:
While the Idea is cool, it would only really work for light gun shooters and not FPS, the reason I say this is that FPS need more freedom of camera so you can look around and shoot people that could be behind you, but like I said it would be good for light gun shooters since your camera is already limited in it's movements.

Just curious have you played MP3 or MoH:H2?  Those games have already proven that this control scheme can work brilliantly in an FPS.  The sensitivity settings have been the biggest complaints and can easily be left variable for the player to decide on since it seems like different people want different settings.  

MrMe said:
Could the balance board also be useful in FPS in any way? Need to walk forward, lean forward, walk left, lean left etc etc?

How about this. When you need to walk/run/sneak, you lift your heels one at a time, while keeping your toes on the board, and everytime one of your heels touches the board, the charcter takes a step. When you lift both heels you'll jump. And when you lean, the character of course leans the way you lean. Oh man, please let Retro do an original FPS ip with the board.

In the sleek and physics riddled world of FPS, I can see some real issues concerning Wii's power. I'm not sure the major developers would like the prospect of watering down everything by a whole lot just to get motion controls.

Sqrl said:
Troll_Monster said:

Just curious have you played MP3 or MoH:H2? Those games have already proven that this control scheme can work brilliantly in an FPS. The sensitivity settings have been the biggest complaints and can easily be left variable for the player to decide on since it seems like different people want different settings.

if you looked closely at the thread it's not about the wiimote for FPS, it's about that head tracking thing that the asian guy has made which the OP has put up a link too, that's what I'm refering to in my post as only being good for light gun shooters.

It should be interesting ...

Between games like Metroid Prime, Battalion Wars II, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition it is clear that the point and click interface of the Wii is far better suited to 'shooter' games than any console controler that has ever been produced.

The problems Nintendo will have attracting 'shooter' developers is many of the good FPS developers are graphics whores and the Wii doesn't have the processing power to appeal to them, and many 'shooter' games have a focus on online gameplay which (currently) the Wii is not that well suited to. I don't really think the processing power difference will keep developers away for very long being that developers will head towards large userbases, but Nintendo should possibly think of changing friend codes to making them unnecessary in 'Mature' games and including voice communication some how.