By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo develop a phone?

Should Nintendo develop a phone?

Yes a Nintendo phone would be awsome 32 33.68%

No, don't enter the phone market 46 48.42%

No don't develop a phone... 17 17.89%

Total:95

You guys are crazy if you think that Nintendo needs to create a phone business.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Omac said:
They should team up with apple and make games for ipad/iphone/ipod.

Why bother?  Nintendo has their own hardware.   Do you see Sony and MS teaming up with Nintendo to put their games on Nintendo hardware?

Yeah, I see plenty of MS games on the DS ;_;

I own a couple.

sethnintendo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Instead of messing with phones, Ninty could diversify by expanding its love hotels. It could make themed ones inspired to Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon, for example, they'd be always full.

Their love hotels lasted during the 60s along with their many other endeavors.  How about they bring back their taxi service and have cars molded out of Nintendo characters.  However, with the cost of gas the love hotels might be a better business to resurrect.

"During this period of time between 1963 and 1968, Nintendo set up a taxi company, a love hotel chain, a TV network, a food company (selling instant rice, similar to instant noodles) and several other things. All of these ventures eventually failed, and after the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, playing card sales dropped, and Nintendo's stock price plummeted to ¥60." -wiki

But they hadn't Mario & Co., this time it wouldn't fail. And how about licensing its characters to theme parks, and directly running them when and where advantageous, if it doesn't it yet? Anyway, jokes and half jokes apart, a lot of businesses would be better than phones, particularly now that Apple, MS, Sony, RIM and others look so eager to wage patent wars against competitors.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Viper1 said:
Omac said:

Why bother?  Nintendo has their own hardware.   Do you see Sony and MS teaming up with Nintendo to put their games on Nintendo hardware?

The hardware isn't doing so hot, due to phone and tablets.

Omac said:
Viper1 said:
Omac said:

Or was the hardare not doing so hot due to a very high price, limited software library and lack of brand differentiation from the previous generation?

Besides, that hardly addresses my point.  Did you see Sony putting PSP games on the better selling DS?  No.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
snakenobi said:
Viper1 said:
snakenobi said:

It wont be able to compete

todays smartphone market is either android or iOS,and ninty could only utilize android or build their own operating system

Incidently, Nintendo has created an OS before.  Called ES.  Guess who bought the rights to ES from Nintendo in 2008?  Google.  They now co-own the copyright.

but how does that help nintendo?

Outside of obviously working closely with Google on OS projects, I can't say.  It was more an interesting factoid than any insinuation that a phone with Google is plausible.

Man I bet Google has this idea in the back of their heads right now. I mean Google just made the biggest aquisition in phone tech history buying Motorola. They are going to start manufacturing Google Phones. Now think with that OS and their history they would probably love to make a Nintendo Phone availible.

It would be a very smart decision for Google now Nintendo themselves wouldn't have to invest much, maybe just make the EShop availible on the phone. It would definatly get the support of all those investors wanting Nintendo in the phone market and it wouldn't be much risk to Nintendo themselves. if the phone failed Nintendo wouldn't take a hit really and all profit made would be risk free,

Or as others pointed out Nintendo could make a video chat program and maybe txting program for the 3DS. So that when your in a hot spot you could call other users and chat with them. However the Skype idea is insaine and out of the question, Microsoft probably would not liscense Skype to Nintendo and Nintendo would be dammed sure that Microsoft software wasn't on their hardware directly.

Notice even when Microsoft released software on DS/GBA it was always done through a third party. I can't see Nintendo putting a Microsoft technology directly into their hardware.

Either way I think Nintendo entering the phone market is much more logical then developing software for iOS devices or even Android Market But even more logical then building their own phone with say Google would be for Nintendo to put a chat feature on 3DS along with a txting feature. These features would be huge hits!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

No.

What could nintendo offer for phones? A mario theme?

Viper1 said:
Omac said:
Viper1 said:
Omac said:

Or was the hardare not doing so hot due to a very high price, limited software library and lack of brand differentiation from the previous generation?

Besides, that hardly addresses my point.  Did you see Sony putting PSP games on the better selling DS?  No.

Apple doesn't have a dedicated home video game system or handhelds like Sony or Microsoft.  If Nintendo wants to get into the cellphone foray where the industry is heading.  Teaming up with apple would be a good idea.

I think Nintendo should make a phone. I also thought McDonald's should make cars, too.

--Hey, is it just me or does this thread smell like butt?

d21lewis said:
I think Nintendo should make a phone. I also thought McDonald's should make cars, too.

--Hey, is it just me or does this thread smell like butt?

And you love it!