By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo develop a phone?

Should Nintendo develop a phone?

Yes a Nintendo phone would be awsome 32 33.68%

No, don't enter the phone market 46 48.42%

No don't develop a phone... 17 17.89%

Total:95
Roma said:
kitler53 said:
knowing nintendo, the phone would only work from a wifi hotspot in order to save money...

But then that wouldn’t be a phone -_- nice try though :P

it would make calls ... just only restricted to wifi spots.  this would embrace the typically half-hearted, "good-enough" attitude nintendo brings to all their other projects recently ...

Around the Network

BRILLIANT! They'll call it the KongPhone, it will be banana shaped and, in the good, old Ninty tradition of making products safe for children, it will hang up whenever it detects foul language or the banana is used in an improper way!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

kitler53 said:
Roma said:
kitler53 said:
knowing nintendo, the phone would only work from a wifi hotspot in order to save money...

But then that wouldn’t be a phone -_- nice try though :P

it would make calls ... just only restricted to wifi spots.  this would embrace the typically half-hearted, "good-enough" attitude nintendo brings to all their other projects recently ...

I can make calls with my laptop/computers does that make it a phone? -_-

They should just add skype or a call channel for the 3DS if they are going to use Wifi only

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Um no... Getting into the phone business is tricky, and smartphones are expensive, which is not what Nintendo do. They use tried and tested technology so it is cheap and easy and if they did that with smartphones, their phone would be awful and out of date already given the constantly evolving nature of the smartphone market.

No. Not everything needs to be a phone. Now, video calls on a home console, that would be awesome.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
No. Not everything needs to be a phone. Now, video calls on a home console, that would be awesome.

You can do that on PS3 and 360...

Nope - they'd get slaughtered. They should consider software support for phones and tablets though. I think going forward we're going to see less focus on dedicated tech for portable gaming and a lot more focus on multi-function and a world where Nintendo should focus on getting their games on other peoples hardware.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Munkeh111 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

You can do that on PS3 and 360...

Really? How?

Edit: nvm, checked online. Don't have a PS Eye, I usually connect my laptop to the TV with an HDMI so I didn't know this was possible.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Reasonable said:
Nope - they'd get slaughtered. They should consider software support for phones and tablets though. I think going forward we're going to see less focus on dedicated tech for portable gaming and a lot more focus on multi-function and a world where Nintendo should focus on getting their games on other peoples hardware.

Well this is what Sony said they would do with PS Suite, it's just nothing has happened yet and I certainly think it is a route that Nintendo could go

I think it is interesting, but I certainly hope that the focus stays with console gaming for a while to come, I need proper controls!!!

snakenobi said:

It wont be able to compete

todays smartphone market is either android or iOS,and ninty could only utilize android or build their own operating system

Incidently, Nintendo has created an OS before.  Called ES.  Guess who bought the rights to ES from Nintendo in 2008?  Google.  They now co-own the copyright.

The rEVOLution is not being televised