By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Parents complain about new console being to expensive ..... in 1991

There was a friend of mine back at the time that lied and said he turned an Nes into a Super Nintendo. Of course, it was impossible. Still, I kept hearing about him for years, after that. "Oh, Derf (his real name! Who names their kid Derf!?) may act crazy but that boy is smart. He turned a Nintendo into a Super Nintendo!!" I always tried to explain how that was impossible but nobody would listen to me.

In 1998, he got arrested and did ten years for robbing a gas station that was probably the distance of a football field from his house. Apparently, he wasn't as smart as people thought.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
There was a friend of mine back at the time that lied and said he turned an Nes into a Super Nintendo. Of course, it was impossible. Still, I kept hearing about him for years, after that. "Oh, Derf (his real name! Who names their kid Derf!?) may act crazy but that boy is smart. He turned a Nintendo into a Super Nintendo!!" I always tried to explain how that was impossible but nobody would listen to me.

In 1998, he got arrested and did ten years for robbing a gas station that was probably the distance of a football field from his house. Apparently, he wasn't as smart as people thought.

Yes, I too went to school with/was friends with someone that would lie about stuff just like this to 'impress' us.  He saw the SNES at some event he went to and was telling us about all of these amazing games that he saw and played.  ¡Mentiroso!

OT: Consoles weren't the big problem back then.  It was the price of GAMES!  Remember the first 8 meg cartridge (Strider for the Genesis) and how it started this expensive subcategory of games that still sold millions?  Heck, Street Fighter II was one of those $75 catridges that we bought up like crazy.  And we complain about $60 games now ...

Darth Tigris said:
d21lewis said:

Yes, I too went to school with/was friends with someone that would lie about stuff just like this to 'impress' us.  He saw the SNES at some event he went to and was telling us about all of these amazing games that he saw and played.  ¡Mentiroso!

OT: Consoles weren't the big problem back then.  It was the price of GAMES!  Remember the first 8 meg cartridge (Strider for the Genesis) and how it started this expensive subcategory of games that still sold millions?  Heck, Street Fighter II was one of those $75 catridges that we bought up like crazy.  And we complain about $60 games now ...

And Virtua Racing for the Genesis.  One track.  $100.  Wow.

The first time I saw a game selling for $19, I almost lost my shit.  Now, you can buy used game of the year candidates for $10.  Buying a game used to be a mjor investment back in those days.  Now, even though they cost more on average, gaming is a relatively cheap hobby--at least compared to smoking cigarettes and buying handguns.

I was 11 back then,man am I old. lol

thanks for making me feel old. i really needed that.

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
TWRoO said:
The NES was $100?

I thought all pre-Wii Nintendo consoles launched at $200. (unless the reporter was comparing a later reduced NES price to the launch SNES price).

I'm Nintenpendant.

I'm pretty sure that they were talking about the "then current price" of the NES. The NES Deluxe set (with R.O.B the robot/light gun/gyromite/duck hunt) probably retailed for $200 when it debuted.

The video is pretty interesting, especially the "f-zero" part. Classic!

NES launched at $130. SNES jumped the price up to $200 where it remained until Wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

Even the N64 Games and the PSX ones were quite a deal to handle, if you don't have the money, at best you can have 10 games on each console.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Back when video games were still seen as toys... This is pretty hilarious to watch haha.

All I can think of is "599 US dollars" :P