By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Smash Bros boost other nintendo games' sales?

Tagged games:

Does Smash Bros boast sales?

Yes 21 55.26%

No 4 10.53%

Netrual 4 10.53%

I know I did it 7 18.42%

I know people who did 2 5.26%

Smash Bros is a marketing trap 0 0%

Total:38

Smash Bros is quite a clever marketing tool (even though I dont believe Nintendo have engineered it that way). People can pick it up recognising Mario, Link or Pokemon and then become familar with other lesser known Nintendo franchises like Kirby, Metroid and Pikmin. Playing Smash Bros influenced me to pick up Metroid Prime and I doubt I'd be as excited about Kid Icarus if it hadnt been for Brawl.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
killeryoshis said:
gumby_trucker said:
@Joelcool7
Another good test could have been NPC Pikmin and Pikmin 2, which would suggest SSB doesn't have much of an influence on the general population.

I decided to have fun and see if it did and I tested super mario galaxy

WW sales on March 8th (Before Brawl Week)

WW sales on March 15th (Brawl release week)

WW on 22nd

Maybe it does?

You know, you may be on to something, there!

even if this is due to SSBB, I'm not sure having a 100,000 unit sales increase (which comes out to about 1%) for a main series Mario game qualifies as a significant boost in sales, nor does it suggest any kind of boost for other franchises. I think it would be a better idea to look at lesser known series before and after making an appearance in SSB, which is why I suggested Pikmin. Another one to check could be Electroplankton since the game probably sold so little that any increase would be noticeable.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:
d21lewis said:

You know, you may be on to something, there!

even if this is due to SSBB, I'm not sure having a 100,000 unit sales increase (which comes out to about 1%) for a main series Mario game qualifies as a significant boost in sales, nor does it suggest any kind of boost for other franchises. I think it would be a better idea to look at lesser known series before and after making an appearance in SSB, which is why I suggested Pikmin. Another one to check could be Electroplankton since the game probably sold so little that any increase would be noticeable.

If anybody actually cared to read my posts...

I was here before SSBB came out and I was here after it was released. Back then we had a topic about this and it's not just Super Mario Galaxy that had an increase in sales. How much of a boost each game got over its whole lifetime is pretty much impossible to say, because SSB is a series that sells for years and thus can affect other software also for years. Some exposure for lesser known series is always better than no exposure at all. You have plenty of replies in this thread here saying that they probably wouldn't have checked out certain games if it weren't for SSB.

NPC Pikmin is not a good example, because it was released after SSBB, so an effect is hard to prove. What we can go by are games that were released before SSBB and then experienced a sales increase in an unusual time period, i.e. spring. Electroplankton is even worse of an example, because at best it is relegated to some obscure trophy in SSBB which many people might never even see or pay any attention too. Characters and stages are the only things that are really important.

You should go back and play Brawl.. specifically the Electroplankton stage

Regarding your other points, I do read your posts and still see no proof the effect is significant. I don't think forum members are a good indication of what the general public thinks and does. If they were we'd have Xenoblade in the US

edit: forgot to mention that NPC Pikmin is essentially exactly the same as regular Pikmin ,which released long before Brawl, therefor making it a good candidate IMO as it was practically a re-introduction to the series.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

For me Melee did as well as convincing me to get a GC, postponing my PS2 purchase to 2004. Before Melee, almost entire game collection was either Mario or Pokemon, plus Link's Awakening. After getting Melee with a GC in 2002, I asked for and got Starfox Adventures for Christmas, something I wouldn't have probably considered if I haven't seen Fox and Falco in Melee. I can't quite remember, but I'm certain that Melee also convinced me to buy Metroid Prime as well.

Basically, before Melee I was a 9 year old, so called 'casual gamer'. After Melee however, I was still probably what one would call 'casual', but a hardcore Nintendo fan.

EDIT: Also, I would say that if Captain Olimar (or Pikmin in general) made a larger appearance in Melee, rather than just a hard to get trophy, I would've waited until 2006 to play Pikmin.

Did not work for me but maybe becaused i owned all this game before putting my hand on SSB

Switch!!!