By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Smash Bros boost other nintendo games' sales?

Tagged games:

Does Smash Bros boast sales?

Yes 21 55.26%

No 4 10.53%

Netrual 4 10.53%

I know I did it 7 18.42%

I know people who did 2 5.26%

Smash Bros is a marketing trap 0 0%

Total:38

The question isn't whether it boosts sales or not, the question is does it boost sales by a significant amount or not. To that I answer that I must say that Smash Bros' brand name is so powerful on it's own that there are probably many people who buy it not paying attention to who comes from where but rather just to play the game. Therefore, I don't believe the amount of sales the game boosts for the series it contains are very relevant.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Will "The Avengers" make people go back and see Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk's movies? Probably a few but for the most part, the earlier franchises are what will make people want to check out The Avengers movie. Even the philosophy about how The Avengers came about in comics was this: Getting all of the characters in one place seemed like an amazing deal for the customer. Instead of buying Thor, Cap, and Iron Man's comics, they only had to buy one comic to see all of their favorites.

So, I'm voting for "no". Not on any noticeable scale, anyway. Otherwise, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and a host of others would have had huge followings. It adds to the notoriety of the characters but it doesn't really compel me (and I guess, a lot of people) to go out and try the games. I still have no desire to play Pokemon or Earthbound. And even the game used as an example, Starfox, hasn't had incredible sales in a long time.

This. minus the no desire to play Earthbound.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Well my first smash bros game was on the 64 and I can't exactly remember back that far about my game purchases. I have no idea which games I purchased before and after lol.

I think this works both ways.

The other games made SmashBros more appealing. I know lots of people when SmashBros came out wanted to play as Fox and Samus because those characters came from their favorite games. I of course couldn't wait to pair Pikachu up with Mario or fight Mario and Luigi. I'd say the other games benefitted SmashBros and with Melee even more so because you had characters from a ton of other games and then even more so with Brawl. I mean with every game the sales grow bigger and bigger even though GameCube sold less hardware units.

On the other hand I think SmashBros does benefit past games. I know after playing Melee and Brawl I suddenly had the urge to go back and play Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus even though I never played the games back in the day. Also I bet Kid Icarus coming back is partially due to his presence in Brawl. Of course I have always been a huge Nintendo fan so I was already playing all the other franchises long before SmashBros came around. But I have no doubt that SmashBros has caused people to be curious about other Nintendo franchises.

It'll be interesting to see how Kid Icarus does, considering that the franchise has been gone for such a long time. The biggest selling factor will be Pit was in Brawl! Then we'll be able to see just how much SmashBros influences sales!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

@Joelcool7
Another good test could have been NPC Pikmin and Pikmin 2, which would suggest SSB doesn't have much of an influence on the general population.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
@Joelcool7
Another good test could have been NPC Pikmin and Pikmin 2, which would suggest SSB doesn't have much of an influence on the general population.

I decided to have fun and see if it did and I tested super mario galaxy

WW sales on March 8th (Before Brawl Week)

WW sales on March 15th (Brawl release week)

WW on 22nd

Maybe it does?

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
gumby_trucker said:
@Joelcool7

I decided to have fun and see if it did and I tested super mario galaxy

WW sales on March 8th (Before Brawl Week)

WW sales on March 15th (Brawl release week)

WW on 22nd

Maybe it does?

You know, you may be on to something, there!

It does, but I think only to relatively minor degrees.

Case in point: Ice Climber. Game would get virtually zero VC sales, but since it's been made known via Smash Bros, many people are familiar with it and have decided to check out the original game.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Made me interested in Fire Emblem.

Made me wanna try the Earthbound/Mother games since Lucas was my fav character :)

But other than that I already knew most of the characters, it really didn't have that big of an effect for me