By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would anyone have thought Wii would....

360 sales without replacing broken 360's ............2 million! lol. rofl.

Nintendo Wii sales assuming more availablility and having to buy same console two or three times because the thing is broken.

80 MILLION!

(runs and hids from flame attacks)

Around the Network

wii Sports is The Best pack in system seller..since SMB1.

it is freaking Genius.

last nite at my sister in laws house, 2 of the guests have never seen nor played the wii....(everyone else there Owned one)

i was talking to them and they asked about it (wiiplay was being played) and i went, that is the wii, you never seen it? woman was like no, husband ditto, so the kids handed the controls to them and they played table tennis...and liked it.. i go.. get Bowling out. we break out wiisports, they Bowl and both of them are just smiling having fun.

they have 2 kids.

they will be buying a wii.

Every- EVERY married couple with kids that i personally have seen try the wii, has bought the Wii. Every Single one.

Nintendo could drop the price of the Wii to $149 and still lose less money than the PS3 at $299.

lenardo said:
wii Sports is The Best pack in system seller..since SMB1.

it is freaking Genius.

last nite at my sister in laws house, 2 of the guests have never seen nor played the wii....(everyone else there Owned one)

i was talking to them and they asked about it (wiiplay was being played) and i went, that is the wii, you never seen it? woman was like no, husband ditto, so the kids handed the controls to them and they played table tennis...and liked it.. i go.. get Bowling out. we break out wiisports, they Bowl and both of them are just smiling having fun.

they have 2 kids.

they will be buying a wii.

Every- EVERY married couple with kids that i personally have seen try the wii, has bought the Wii. Every Single one.

The amazing thing? They all found Wii's to buy!

leo-j said:
Trust me when ps3 is $299.99 thats when you will see sony dominating.

Except the PS1 and PS2 didn't do any dominating until they hit $199.

Around the Network
weezy said:

At the 1st day of 2008....

1 year into the "next gen" Nintendo Wii will be on the verge of hitting 20 Mil?

While the Sony PS3 is nearing 9 mil in the same time?

And 2 years into the game, Microsoft has only gotten rid of 16 mil 360's?

Is this the year of price cuts yet again for 360? because I see sony is silently creeping on microsoft's ho hum sales.

I predict Sony and Microsoft duking it out by dropping prices while Nintendo just continues to do its own thing on its own terms :)

A year ago? No. 5, 6 months ago, yeah, this is pretty close to what I was predicting (admittedly Sony and Wii hit the ceiling of my range).

Nintendo will drop prices the minute you can walk into a typical WalMart on Friday, and see the same Wii on the shelf that was there Monday. And I can see them adding a little value too - They've probably gotten all they can get out of Zelda TwiP, and it'd only cost them a few dollars (cents?) more to toss that in the box...

MS is in the black for it's gaming division in 2007, and with the RROD warrantee paid for in full, I think they'll have the green light to cut prices finally. I think the Premium will hit $299. Heck it may even be able to swing a second cut in time for the holidays. I think this will get it back in the game in Europe/Others, and keep it in the lead in the US (Wii won't catch up until the very end of 2008, early 2009).

Sony likely won't be able to cut price as fast, given that they did theirs prematurely last year, so Microsoft will have a few months by itself at the reduced price to extend it's lead a bit. I think Sony's sales will drop more than the others post holiday, but sales in the first half of the year are generally so poor that it won't matter much. I expect a price cut (and maybe more reworked consoles) come summer, and one more price cut, which should boost it into respectable sales in Japan and the US. Because MS can't compete in the East, Sony will close the gap some by the end of the year, but it won't be able to overtake the 360 until late 2009 at the earliest (unless the 360 collapses completely).

With 2010, I expect MS to unveil the XBox 720 (or whatever), with an anticipated launch in 2011 (giving the 360 a 6 year life span, 2 more than the original). I can then see Sony over taking them in a replay of the SNES/Genesis war, in which the SNES was able to outpace the Sega console simply because Sega jumped to the next gen a little sooner. But at that point, the matter will be moot - Wii will have won handily (and Wii2 should be on shelves no later than 2011 as well), and no one will care about the distant 2nd or 3rd place winners any more than they did with GCN and XBox.

What I'm not sure about is when will Sony jump to the PS4? Go to soon, and they admit that the PS3 was a mistake. Wait too long, and they could be left behind by the Wii2 and 720.

FishyJoe said:
Nintendo could drop the price of the Wii to $149 and still lose less money than the PS3 at $299.

Well, yeah. That's only a $100 drop from launch price, while the PS3 at $299 would represent a $200-300 drop.

Hell, on launch day, Nintendo could have given the Wii away for free and lost less money ($200) than Sony was on the 60 Gig PS3 ($250).

phil said:

If you don't think Microsoft noticed the RROD problem in QA, then you think they're even more incompetent than I do. In all likelihood, they knew about the problem, but went forward anyways to be first out the gate. They figured consumers would fall for the trick, allowing them to get a larger game library faster. They were right.

You really think they went out of the gate knowing that 30% of their units would need to be repaired, and that they'd need to spend over $1b to satisfy their customer base?

It was a lot more than 30%, infact I don't know a single person who has not experienced the RRoD issue whilst owning their 360.

68soul said:
leo-j said:
Trust me when ps3 is $299.99 thats when you will see sony dominating.

Second, no, i don't trust you, you're one of the most stupid and arrogant fanboy on this site... you seem to have something to write on EVERY thread created here, and each time, you're totally wrong, ridiculous, and uninteresting...

Amen!