By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - blah blah blah, fps are bad, blah blah blah no originality blah blah blah

He's right though... games are beginning to look more and more the same, they continue to go down this trend of being like other games but with one marketable gimmick different as the standout feature. The imagine above does a good job at expressing the problem, but it could easily be extended to at least 15 different games from the past 2 years, which is just sad.

I've no problem with these games in general, and will obviously buy the blockbuster sequels like Uncharted, Battlefielde etc... they have their place and they're great products. But it's a shame that any game that tries a new art style or gameplay idea or anything outside the rigid 'male guy shoots lots of enemies' is relegated to the downloadable space or handheld consoles, as no one will fund it properly.

Around the Network

Just waiting for Mario FPS. I mean Mario Paintball. That way I can cuss at little kids that buy the game and get them back for being in the 18+ FPS.

He's right, of course. If you go on GameTrailers or somewhere like that and see a list of "Hot games this holiday season!" what will they choose? Shooty shooty gun gun zombie nuclear death.

I will grant that these games can be greatly varied as platformers or racers can be (especially since shooting games span multiple genres, FPS, Action, Adventure, even in RPGs like Mass Effect), but you've got a ton of games with a similar look and similar feel, devoid of style, though style takes a backseat to gameplay in all of these instances, so they don't represent the diversity of gameplay that exists in games of this style, though it does get aesthetically dull

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Degausser said:
He's right though... games are beginning to look more and more the same, they continue to go down this trend of being like other games but with one marketable gimmick different as the standout feature. The imagine above does a good job at expressing the problem, but it could easily be extended to at least 15 different games from the past 2 years, which is just sad.

I've no problem with these games in general, and will obviously buy the blockbuster sequels like Uncharted, Battlefielde etc... they have their place and they're great products. But it's a shame that any game that tries a new art style or gameplay idea or anything outside the rigid 'male guy shoots lots of enemies' is relegated to the downloadable space or handheld consoles, as no one will fund it properly.

Damn, didn't see this before, but double post inbound and all

I agree with this sentiment, it's that you see these kind of games completely monopolize top-tier development, with games (aside from Nintendo) that aren't like this are rare, or are downgraded to the DLC systems or worse

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Maybe he'd feel better if you made your opponents faint in FPSes.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Maybe he'd feel better if you made your opponents faint in FPSes.

This is why you're awesome.

4 ≈ One

"I bet after writing that he went back to work on pokemon colour no. 3256632 and in the same time frame i think its safe to say fps have added way more gameplay features and innovations than pokemon has.

i liked the original pokemon but even call of duty adds more gameplay features with their annual release than pokemon does with every new colour.
PS, i was going to tag a game to this article but i didnt know which colour from the long list to chose from."

Yeah, says the guy called FPSdominator, he is so wise.

Really, you are being too impartial there, sum that with your thread tile, and you're just trolling.

FPS_Dominator

There are tons of games that aren't modern military FPS, I don't really get the whining about it.  Now it is a bit different if you're counting every game with shooting, but Modern Warfare is different from GTA which is different from Uncharted...Mass Effect...Red Orchestra...Space Marine...Twisted Metal...Vanquish...Just Cause etc etc.  Hell, even Battlefield plays very differently from Call of Duty despite the near identical theme.

This is getting really annoying now. Just because COD doesn't add that many new features into it's games doesn't mean that every FPS does the same. This is just sad. That's why I like TPS and Action adventure games better