By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [POLL] Has Final Fantasy XIII disappointed you?

Tagged games:

Has Final Fantasy XIII disappointed you?

Not at all. I enjoyed it ... 121 27.75%

A bit. Liked it but not a... 130 29.82%

I was so disappointed tha... 185 42.43%

Total:436
Xen said:
Boutros said:
themanwithnoname said:
Boutros said:
You'd be a fool to be disappointed I think. The Final Fantasy franchise has always been about a new approach with every new iteration so if you have any kinds of expectations you are very wrong. The only thing you can expect is a quality game on every level and FFXIII was just that. You may not like the game but that's another story.

So if we think FFXIII was a bad game, we're wrong, right?

I do think it's a bad game. The level design is completely uninspired linearity. There's not even a hint of a meandering path off the main trail. It's nothing but move forward, get in a battle, move forward, get in a battle, move forward, cutscene. There's a reason JRPGs have towns for you to rest, buy, and save, and while the "let's not have any towns in the game" is sort of an original idea, it doesn't work at all.

Look at my last sentence.

And besides, people talk of linearity as if it's a bad thing but it really isn't. FFX was just as linear and it was never an issue, was it? Towns are so very boring and they don't add anything to the fun. Towns wouldn't work with FFXIII's storyline anyway. Also there is one town in the game actually.

I'm thinking you haven't completed the game because eventually you reach Pulse and that's when you get to explore more.

When you reach Pulse and realize that there's jack shit to do there (beside the genious XIII formula of run forward and press X), you reach whole new levels of the "WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING" thought. God damn what a useless and bland expanse that was, and if that's what you find to be interesting, then your standards on exploration must be extremely low. The one that did free roaming right was FF XII (best of all of them). I spent a lot of time simply exploring it, as it was fun.

Towns wouldn't work with its storyline? Didn't stop our sweet party in FFX (you know, the famous and rebellious anti yevon pariah group). More like 1 town = 1 less polished CG scene, and in the interactive movie that is FF XIII, you can't have that, no. You have to shove your story down the players' throat. And a story told in one freaking sentence, to boot.

Ah, another diff with FFX is that.. you know... there was stuff to do there beside run forward, press X, and watch cutscenes. That is why the community and the reviewers are far less divided on that one (ah, and the characters weren't one-dimensional drones).

Wonder how they're gonna fuck up FF XV. The pre-order is out the window on that one.

Well you obviously didn't like the battle system so of course it will be hard for you to like the game but to me the battle system was far more than just pressing X. You can make a very smart use of the paradigm system in order to kill your enemies as fast as possible (because that's the goal of the system). Getting 5 stars is easy in early combats but it gets a lot more complex later on.

Around the Network

Worst jRPG I've played so far and propably the biggest dissapointment I've ever had in gaming. I've loved every single FF-game I've played until XIII.

I found the content of the game lacking because, there's really nothing in the game expect a long long pipe filled with monsters and battles fought for you only by pressing X and your teammates are automated with no way to choose what they should and should not do, so the battles got really monotonous quick. They can't even use some of the better and more visual abilities they unlock or summons since only the character you play with can do those.
The area opened up slightly in the end but then the game was over shortly after that and it still had nothing noteworthy but monsters. No towns that felt like towns just hallways, no sidequests, NPCs/side characters are uninteresting and they exist just to say that one sentence unless they get some cutscene-moments. It didn't even contain any puzzle sections or mini-games like in earlier FFs.
The game has absolutely no roleplay elements whatsoever and nothing to do expect continue to the next scene which usually contained some manic-depressive moments or something very random, one scene someone is really hyper and in the next one he/she starts crying or bitching. Majority of the cutscene didn't even have any point, they were just random cutscene-fillers in-between the few storyline advancing cutscenes. Whole storyline was about bad guys just being evil cause they want to bring back a god, why? and your party running around places until they decide to finally be heroes.

The crafting system wasn't too interesting, just throw stuff on the items until you get boosts in stats, though boosting them will negatively affect getting more crafting material since better weapons shorten the time you have to kill enemies for that 5/5 ranking which improves item drop rates. Though I finished the game with only first stage lvl 10 weapons easily so the leveling wasnt really even necessary. :/

Leveling was also linear-ish as all other aspects of the gameplay, only occasionally you got a branching orb and that's it, you either get it now or later and all the characters will play allmost exactly the same each playthrough because of the linearity.

The monsters were recycled a lot, there were maybe 20 different monsters and atlleast 2-5 variations of each one, usually only difference was color.

I did not like that the summons were transformers I found it so damn cheezy, though that was a minor annoyance compared to everything else and on the plus-side Sahz's, Snow's and Hope's transformation made me lol. :P

The only thing Squeenix didn't fail in this game were the visuals, it's easily one of the better looking games this gen. But a big company game in development for so long (+4 Years), I'm extremely disappointed. Sadly I'm trying to platinum it but I'm struggling to find the interest to play it again. I will most certainly sell it once I'm done.

I think the game would have worked much better as a movie like FF:Spirits Within

@Boutros, Getting 5 star wasn't too hard if you're just sluggish on upgrading your equipment since they decrease the time you have, I propably got 5/5 atleast in 95% of all my battles and usually only when the enemies were radically weaker I got 5/5 less often but that didnt even matter then since the items I would have gotten would be near useless.

Only effect in getting 5/5 is the increased the chances of getting items to increase your weapon levels.

It was an amazing game I'd rate it an 8.5/10

Not as great as it's predecessors, but no denying that it was indeed a great RPG.

This game was fail, All you do is go from hall way to hall way and fight creatures with a battle system that was ok at best. It looked good, but you couldnt go anywhere, so that didnt matter, and when you did get to an "open" environment, all you could do is fight more monsters, how exciting. Then when you were done with that you go down more hallways and fight more creatures, that wouldnt be too bad if the story didnt suck. No proper villian, characters were horrendous. Hell i was just playing FF 1 on my smart phone and that is a better game than 13, it least it had a sensible plot

Xen said:

It's an epic piece of shit. I finished it two days ago.

Anything and everything that could've been done wrong aside from graphics/music - was. I'm going to write a full review on it soon, and I don't expect it to get more than 4/5 from me.

Frankly, from dancing around like a teeny little girl after the E3 '09 trailer, which I watched like 100 times, to crashing with what is easily THE biggest gaming disappointment of my life, The devs @ SE have truly outchurned themselves. That "game" is more of a masturbatory experience of the director and producer than it is anything else. It doesn't even strive to be a game. Here's the quick summary of its "gaming process":

1 - run forward. NEVER FORGET TO RUN FORWARD! Never ANYWHERE else!
2 - OMG a battle! Shift paradigm, press X to death. Shift paradigm, press X to death. Shift paradigm, X to death.
3 - ROTFLOL they let us roam free! Aw, absolutely nothing to do there =/, only lame weak monsters w/palette changes and size changes.

end. The steps just change positions from there.

Or, even shorter:

Battle - press x - scene - boss. Rinse, repeat. Nothing else in there.

Don't even get me started on the characters... w/o any specifics... but spoiler haters should avoid this anyways:

Lightning - (1) aw nothing to live for =/ (2) :D we must survive
Snow: (1) I'm teh hero bitchez!
Hope: (1) aw I'm angsty =/ / (2) I turn 180 degrees!
Fang: (1) I'm against you! (2) I'm with you! (3) I'm against you! (4) I'm with you!
Vanille: (1) aw must run away (2) must face on!!!!!!!!!!11

*Sazh unreferenced because he seems like the only one that has something close to a personality. The same is true for Cid Raines.

In the whole freaking game, the ONLY scene that seems anywhere close to emotional or real, is that certain one with Snow and Hope. Everything else is either bravado bullshit, too convenient for character, *cough* development, or just not believable. The whole premise and dialogues are retarded, not to mention that character interaction is so small and in-between that the only things you pretty much know about the characters are the outlines shown in the scenes. Not to mention that throughout the whole game, you see only 10 characters. No time for more, REALLY? Or is it no need for more?

Also, the obsession with the whole freaking (stupid) story is so big, that you get NOTHING else but that and some excerpts from legends (also related to said stupid story, but written really well!). Nothing on the side, nowhere to divert your attentions, no real encompassing Fabula (THE IRONY!) because surprise surprise, there's NO ONE to interact with. The WHOLE formula is Battle-scene-falcie teh slaver bastards!!!-boss. It NEVER diverts anywhere, which leads me back and around to how freaking repetitive that waste of money is. It's depressing - I braved through the whole game up to Orphan's Cradle thinking that SOMETHING'S GONNA CHANGE, but after getting hit in the balls what that "press-x1000 times-fest", I really fucking snapped. Is there nothing else you could do? Does gran pulse not have enough possibilities?

"but everybody's dead, dude"

No. You're too fucking obsessed with whatever you were trying to let out of your system that you forgot to add simple interaction that is present in any and all RPG's that I've played so far. I am playing an RPG game to experience the world, the characters, get into another dimension basically. In the repetitive battle-fest that is FF XIII, there is nothing like that. Not a person in sight, no place to visit, no thing to do but BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE with a shallow watered down system.

FF XIII-2 should kick off with "we're sincerely sorry" and be given away free to apologize for the time the fans wasted on XIII, as I believe nothing was given in return. Just a surprise ending, shitty gameplay, and shitty everything else.

I could get by with the soundtrack and some screenshots. But I had to throw money at the limited edition. That'll teach me.

@smbu: My condolences. Honestly. A plain black PS3 does better than that.

+1

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:
themanwithnoname said:
Boutros said:
You'd be a fool to be disappointed I think. The Final Fantasy franchise has always been about a new approach with every new iteration so if you have any kinds of expectations you are very wrong. The only thing you can expect is a quality game on every level and FFXIII was just that. You may not like the game but that's another story.

I do think it's a bad game. The level design is completely uninspired linearity. There's not even a hint of a meandering path off the main trail. It's nothing but move forward, get in a battle, move forward, get in a battle, move forward, cutscene. There's a reason JRPGs have towns for you to rest, buy, and save, and while the "let's not have any towns in the game" is sort of an original idea, it doesn't work at all.

And besides, people talk of linearity as if it's a bad thing but it really isn't. FFX was just as linear and it was never an issue, was it? Towns are so very boring and they don't add anything to the fun. Towns wouldn't work with FFXIII's storyline anyway. Also there is one town in the game actually.

I'm thinking you haven't completed the game because eventually you reach Pulse and that's when you get to explore more.

When you reach Pulse and realize that there's jack shit to do there (beside the genious XIII formula of run forward and press X), you reach whole new levels of the "WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING" thought. God damn what a useless and bland expanse that was, and if that's what you find to be interesting, then your standards on exploration must be extremely low. The one that did free roaming right was FF XII (best of all of them). I spent a lot of time simply exploring it, as it was fun.

Towns wouldn't work with its storyline? Didn't stop our sweet party in FFX (you know, the famous and rebellious anti yevon pariah group). More like 1 town = 1 less polished CG scene, and in the interactive movie that is FF XIII, you can't have that, no. You have to shove your story down the players' throat. And a story told in one freaking sentence, to boot.

Ah, another diff with FFX is that.. you know... there was stuff to do there beside run forward, press X, and watch cutscenes. That is why the community and the reviewers are far less divided on that one (ah, and the characters weren't one-dimensional drones).

Wonder how they're gonna fuck up FF XV. The pre-order is out the window on that one.

Well you obviously didn't like the battle system so of course it will be hard for you to like the game but to me the battle system was far more than just pressing X. You can make a very smart use of the paradigm system in order to kill your enemies as fast as possible (because that's the goal of the system). Getting 5 stars is easy in early combats but it gets a lot more complex later on.

There was no battle system. You ould finish the game with 2 Paridigms. Once you worked it out in the first 5 hours, the battle system was one of the easiest most crappest battle systems ever concieved in an JRPG. And one you had to press A in over and over and over and over an over and over............. I wouldnt have minded pressing A if it did something different than 1 of the 3 gameplayoptins the game had to offer. hell Id have loved pressing A to talk talk to a shop owner. Or  to press A to explore 1mm of the narrow unf**king usless pathetic single foreward walkway.

God SE make me mad how they screwed us FF fans of old over. 

Also to continue rant.

How the hell are the graphics amazin?

CGI was great yes. But gameplay was ok. Not even in the top 30 this gen. Character models were clunky, Environments stale and lifeless and to be frank, Extremely disappointing. Not much better ingame than say Two Worlds or Resonance Of Fate.

SE I wil burn you down. What a shame Hironobu Sakaguchis series has been destroyed like this. It must be hard for him to witness this.

May of had its faults, but still a great game.

selnor said:
Boutros said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:
themanwithnoname said:
Boutros said:

There was no battle system. You ould finish the game with 2 Paridigms. Once you worked it out in the first 5 hours, the battle system was one of the easiest most crappest battle systems ever concieved in an JRPG. And one you had to press A in over and over and over and over an over and over............. I wouldnt have minded pressing A if it did something different than 1 of the 3 gameplayoptins the game had to offer. hell Id have loved pressing A to talk talk to a shop owner. Or  to press A to explore 1mm of the narrow unf**king usless pathetic single foreward walkway.

God SE make me mad how they screwed us FF fans of old over. 

It's official, we haven't played the same game.

Tell me how easy this looks:

selnor said:
Also to continue rant.

How the hell are the graphics amazin?

CGI was great yes. But gameplay was ok. Not even in the top 30 this gen. Character models were clunky, Environments stale and lifeless and to be frank, Extremely disappointing. Not much better ingame than say Two Worlds or Resonance Of Fate.

SE I wil burn you down. What a shame Hironobu Sakaguchis series has been destroyed like this. It must be hard for him to witness this.

The graphics really are amazing that is without a doubt.

It's actually the CGI that I found a bit disappointing.