By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation3's Future?

Why do you keep adding personal insults to someone who is just writing their opinion?

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Why do you keep adding personal insults to someone who is just writing their opinion?

cause there is opinion and then there is BS opinion.  Most of it was opinion so whatever... but then there was the typical kiddy bs opinion.

It must be hard for all of you but facts are PS3 has the most killer apps.

hus, why are you wasting your time here ?

go playing with your ps3 :) much fun with your "killer apps"

why iam here ? because iam still at work and made a break :)

browsing this forum is funny and relaxing ... 

staticneuron said:
sieanr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo exec's act the same way with the GC. In fact, didn't Nintendo fanboys put forth the same arguments about first party games?

Price, when the difference is $100, is somewhat important, but not an overiding factor in people purchases - $200 and $300 differences are. I think people seem to forget that every console last gen was $300 or less at launch, and the PS3 is twice that cost. Can you honestly tell me that cost isn't a factor when the difference is so great?

Very important distinction. Nintendo's first party games are firmly planted in the GA crowd while sony has titles ranging from ratchet and clank to God of war. Racers, shooters, action platformers, sandbox RPG's you name it sony has it. Sony's first party developmentstudios are largger than microsoft and nintendo combined and without a doubt have more concurrent games being developed as we speak.

And the quality of sony's games are excellent (to tell you the truth almost all current first party devs have excellent quality) and there is a high chance that sony's is going to use the PS3 as a platform for new IP's and idea's.

It is simple... people think the PS3 is in trouble because it hasn't blown their mind in sales.... but in all seriousness it is sony who decides the end of their system. So if these sales are within sony's expectations then how is it a precursor to the PS3's failure?

I think this is a unrealistic view of the industry that ranks up their with the arrogance(edit: not directed at anyone here) of stating that devs do not need more Space for their games. With the rate and speed of the industry moving as new IP and technology are introduced it really doesn't make sense. Normal mapping.. really sprung up over night. It was shown at a siggraph but how it was implemented in games came around fast and somewhat unexpected. Bigger space is being used for streaming textures (gear of war) and for streaming meshes (lair). I these advancements are changing the way games are played and experienced and only more radical thinking and changes are on the way.

More foward thinking will promote growth on the PS3 and after devs get acclimated we will be hearing different tunes to what people are saying. I think 2008 will be the year that defines the PS3 and makes it shine and also we will see an increase in exclusives for every system.

This might be a thing of personality but as far as I´m concerned Nintendo has got Shooters, Racers, Platformers and RPG´s too..they´re just better than Sonys counterparts... Mario, F-Zero and Metroid are higher rated than Ratchet and Clank, Wipeout and Killzone and Zelda is still an unreached masterpiece in the Action Adventure genre... and wasn´t a famous Sonyfan argument the 3rd parties wouldn´t have problems on the PS3 cuz they don´t have to compete with 1st party software? (I know this wasn´t a statement from you but from other guys)

Hus said:

most 3rd partys will make PS3/360/PC games then PS2/Wii games... PS3 has ALLthe killer apps, saying other wise you shows you know nothing and are a delusinoal kiddy fan.

Hey Hus, remember that "people skills" thing we went over?

While I personally think your reasoning on the PS3's future is way off, someone might see something in there they agree with. Or atleas they might have, had your post not devolved into really stupid insults.

Give it a break man.  

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Hus, I let your pedophilia comment last week slide. But if you continue along this path, I'll have no choice but to take it up with the moderators.

Very interesting topic.

The future of PS3 ?

The more i imagine it, the more i have a bad feeling ...

Why : because of price.

My reasoning exludes early adopters, tech-enthusiasts that will jump in, whatever the price is, because of "the value of the package" (which, indeed and IMO, is definitely there).

The problem for Sony, is, with the "HD gaming device" marketing, that they have succeeded (in the wrong way) to convince the people that the "right display" to use with this device is a least a HD ready one ...

Look around you how most people are dealing with the idea of buying one ...

In this sense, the price of PS3 is not 600 € but something more like 1500.

NB : I don't forget that Xbox360 was also marketed as "HD gaming" capable, but not as HD gaming oriented, that is all the difference.
(and in fact, Xbox360 's success is moderate i think, and US centric).

The problem with these prices is that people are interested by the system, but their buying move is delayed to something between 1 to 3 years.

This is IMO a huge problem because in the main time, the industry is moving and the buyers are going where they can put their money, now.

Add to that that the competitors played fairly and the situation is more and more critic.

What is hurting more is all the recent moves (at least they moved !), are tech-oriented, hardcore users oriented (LBP, Home) and just participate to the "expensive device" momentum.

Nothing is played this gen (we are just 6 monthes after the launch of 2 manufacturers), but, as many others, i thought AAA titles was just what Sony needed. For now, i am less and less sure this will be enough.

Hus said:

I walk in to future shop, one guy tells me 360 is the best it has Halo the other two are a joke, 2nd dude says wii is half price of the other so i shoule get it.. other dude tells me PS3 has best games and Br its the best buy.... its people and their opinion.  

3rd partys are actually only making a little dash, wii very dangerous.  Their best games wont work on wiis weak hardware so they get stuck competeting with Nin and miyamoto... = mediocre sales for 3rd party.

most 3rd partys will make PS3/360/PC games then PS2/Wii games...   PS3 has ALLthe killer apps, saying other wise you shows you know nothing and are a delusinoal kiddy fan.

best racing

best action

best rpg

best stealth

all on PS3, half the killer apps are PS3 ONLY. 

Software dives hardware, and PS3 has the best software coming.

They're coming? I thought March was when the PS3 was going to dominate. What happened with that? I guess VGC is a bunch of know nothing delusional kiddy fans since they are reporting that the PS3 do not have any killer apps. The killer apps seem to be on the PS2, DS and the Wii.

So many best games are in the horizon for the PS3. I think I will just go my Wii, DS or PS2 and play them now.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

The technique is not as old as bump mapping. It was a new frame of thinking applied on a old way of doing things, instead of black and white textures to define depth now it is based off an RGB texture. Dot3 bump mapping used to be very limited in use. For games you would see early examples in far cray and such but now almost every game uses it.

It's sort of like how we've been racing cars for a long time but drift racing has gotten more mainstream nowadays. Drift techniques has been said to be done as far back as the 60's but the shows, games, and proffessional races didn't come around until more recently.

And I understand you louie. It is a matter of taste but let us not forget games like legend of dragoon, arc the lad, god of war, gran turismo, the getaway, sly cooper, jax and daxter and the numerous title's from sony that has gotten very high ratings and garnered their own fans. The 20 best selling games of all time has a whopping 13 titles that were brought forth by nintendo the rest are sony titles. You can attribute most for nintendo's long life in the industry and thier handheld dominance for years. So nintendo is without a doubt great but sony has held their own without an emphasis on first party titles. Now that the tide is starting to turn I wonder what is going to happen to the quality of sony games. I consider them good but there is probably room for them to get better.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Hus said:

I walk in to future shop, one guy tells me 360 is the best it has Halo the other two are a joke, 2nd dude says wii is half price of the other so i shoule get it.. other dude tells me PS3 has best games and Br its the best buy.... its people and their opinion.  

3rd partys are actually only making a little dash, wii very dangerous.  Their best games wont work on wiis weak hardware so they get stuck competeting with Nin and miyamoto... = mediocre sales for 3rd party.

most 3rd partys will make PS3/360/PC games then PS2/Wii games...   PS3 has ALLthe killer apps, saying other wise you shows you know nothing and are a delusinoal kiddy fan.

best racing

best action

best rpg

best stealth

all on PS3, half the killer apps are PS3 ONLY. 

Software dives hardware, and PS3 has the best software coming.

I don't know why I answer you Hus, it can't be because of your good English. Please try to write without all this kiddy and dude, as a non native speaker I have big problem understand what you write some time.

Now over to your statement above, yes PS3 has some really good game coming out this fall, but I do have two problem with you statement:

1. Wait for the game has been the mantra for PS3 fans for March and Februari. First it was wait for VF5 then it was gundam, then it was motorstrom (the last one can have sold some consol, we don't have any number for March yet.
  2. Killer apps is not equal to a good game, a game can be awfull and be a killer app (probarbly not the case but anyway). A killer app is a game that sells consols in a huge amount. So far Sony has none, and that is not a kiddie fanboy statment.

Those two point can obvious be fixed, but for the moment I am very sceptical for this wait and see, mostly because of the price. A better price and this gen would have been in Sonys hand already, to many ps2 fans that would have chosen PS3 before xbox360 or Wii if it wasn't as expensive that it is. (lack of games and bad press isn't that good either)

Then we have the statment that 3rd parties best games wont work on Wii. That depends on the nature of the game. I am pretty sure that Guitar Hero 3 will work fine on both ps2, ps3 xbox360 and Wii. Then I can see positive things to have a given game on PS3 and xbox360 as well as for Wii. PS3 and Xbox360 will give a better graphical experiance meanwhile Wii might (in some case) give better controlls. A game like MySims, that I personally never would buy (but that sells a lot), which hardly needs better graphics should work great on Wii. Sims is actually one of the best selling series and have gotten good press, so it is a good game and can be a system seller.

Overall when you count up genres I really miss some of the genres that was one of many strength for PS2, games like Sims, Guitar Hero, Buzz, Singstar than has sold really well and sold consols. Not only that your genres that you state is very "male" heavy. If Nintendodogs could get 5 million girls in Europe alone to buy a handheld we shouldn't forgett about those to.

Now if somebody did have the energy to read all this, I will state my solution for the bad sales of PS3:

1. Bundles, during the launch in sweden their was plenty of good bundles that increased the value of the PS3. Free BR movie and a game. That clearly help people pay the 6200 SEK (1 USD = 7 SEK) that the consol cost. Their is plenty of ideas here, ad the BR-remote put a game in the pack and so on.
  2. If the thing above fail, lower the price. This point is hard because sony needs to make a profit also. 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!