By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation3's Future?

You never base fact or proper evidence on any of your opinion or arguments. Why do you think it will end up that way?

Around the Network

Isn't it a big difference between N64 and Wii. Did N64 ever sell well in Japan?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Kwaad said:
Copy-past some more. I already know all that. I think the Wii is gonna end up like the N64. I *personally* liked the N64 over the PS1.

Sorry mate, but there is NO chance the Wii will end up like the N64.

Look - it could fail for different reasons. Im not exactly sure what they are - but for instance, if everyone suddenly gets a desire for HD graphics, BluRay playback or ultra-realistic visuals - then the Wii will struggle.

But you can't compare the demise of the N64 with the Wii:

1/ N64 carts: The carts stored a VERY small amount of information, and very expensive to make. Wii uses discs, and are very cheap to make (potentially with 200-1000x the storage for a fraction of the cost).

2/ Dev difficulty: The N64 was difficult to program for. It didn't have enough RAM, the CPU was underpowered, Nintendo never released the *real* specs (i.e. microcode) for the GPU - and the 4k texture cache - was a joke. The Wii is the exact opposite, and because its an extension of the GC architecture - which has been around for 4+ years - its a known, and there are no nasty surprises.

3/ 3rd-party support: The N64 started off with a little 3rd-party support, but it quickly fell away (which ended up killing the console). This was due to development difficulties, poor financial results & Nintendo being snobbish about releasing specs. The Wii has reversed this position - its cheaper/easier to develop for, games are easy to port to it - and Nintendo is welcoming allcomers with open arms (a good lesson it has learnt).

Enough said. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:
Copy-past some more. I already know all that. I think the Wii is gonna end up like the N64. I *personally* liked the N64 over the PS1.

Copy-past some more. I already know all that. I think the PS3 is gonna end up like the N64. I *personally* like PS3 over the Wii.

Louis277 said:
Kwaad said:

Copy-past some more. I already know all that. I think the PS3 is gonna end up like the N64. I *personally* like PS3 over the Wii.

LOL

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Havent I already said? The PS3 is doomed to Wii fanboys Dooming it untill it blows the doors off their Wii. And then I'm gonna come on here and be like. BUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA YOU F*KING IDIOTS! I TOLD YOU SO A YEAR AGO, AND YOU SAID "YOU IDIOT, THE PS3 IS GONNA FAIL!!!!" Just you wait and see. I swear I will do it the month the PS3 passes the Wii in sales.

EDIT: With 600 thousand sales in march in europe, around 150,000 in america, and around 100 thousand in Japan puts the PS3 to around 950thousand... Something like that, around 100,000 more than the Wii.

BUAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WII IS GONNA FAIL!!! BUAHHAHAHA.

(ok, so it was the launch month of the european PS3, but still I couldnt help myself)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

@Kwaad why does it seems that as fast as you arrive to any the thread goes OT? Come on try to behave. Come with some godd argument why something will happen instead of just writing with caps and destroying the discussion. I asked before if it isn't a big difference between N64 and Wii because I belive N64 never sold really well in Japan, is that false? Shams stated some other things that was the reason for the failure for N64 can you state why those faults are in the Wii too?

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

N64 had one good month in one region. So 1 times 1 is 1. PS3 has had 1 good month in 3 regions. So 1 times 3 is 3. Wiis has had 5 good months in 3 regions. So 5 times 3 is 15. Comparing these numbers, PS3 launch looks much like the N64 launc. Wii launch is way ahead it. I don't think N64 had underpowered CPU. And Capcom fitted 2 CD:s RE2 to one 64MB cartrige. But N64 was damn expensive to develope for. Nintendo said about the microcode, that using it, made developing even more expensive. So Nintendo screwed N64 by making it too expensive to develope for. Even that cartriges were a lot more user-friendly than CD:s.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

robjoh said:
@Kwaad why does it seems that as fast as you arrive to any the thread goes OT? Come on try to behave. Come with some godd argument why something will happen instead of just writing with caps and destroying the discussion. I asked before if it isn't a big difference between N64 and Wii because I belive N64 never sold really well in Japan, is that false? Shams stated some other things that was the reason for the failure for N64 can you state why those faults are in the Wii too?

I'm talking about the amazing launch sales. Nintendo seems to do wonders with their launches. However as the 1st party games die down over the next 3 years, the consoles do the same thing. (For some reason handhelds dont die down, the same old games keep selling, and selling, and selling, and selling, and selling. Kinda strange)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I don't think Nintendo's 1st party games are going to die down though, they have so much on offer this year it's pretty spectacular, they really do have something for everyone.