By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation3's Future?

The poor performance of the N64 and Gamecube after launch was primarily caused by Nintendo's inability to sell consoles in Japan and attract exclusive support from Japaneese developers. The main reason the N64 didn't take off in Japan was that companies like Namco, Bandai, Square, Enix, Capcom, and Konami all decided to focus support on the Playstation based on the hubris of Yamauchi; people who blame cartridges for the N64's failings have a very poor understanding on why developers abandoned Nintendo.

Iwata (since taking control of Nintendo in 2002) has spent the past several years mending fences with publishers around the world and has focused on ensuring that subsidiaries of Nintendo are run by people who know what they're doing (Reggie). As a result of Iwata's efforts every major publisher released games for the Gamecube.

Iwata is very unique across the entire gaming industry as he is the only former game developer who is in charge of a large videogame publisher; if you look at other publishers they tend to be run by laywers or marketing drones who often are from the Movie and Music industries. His unique perspective is the reason why Nintendo is moving in a different direction than everyone else, and is probably the reason they have been so successful.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

I'm talking about the amazing launch sales. Nintendo seems to do wonders with their launches. However as the 1st party games die down over the next 3 years, the consoles do the same thing. (For some reason handhelds dont die down, the same old games keep selling, and selling, and selling, and selling, and selling. Kinda strange)

I'm talking about the amazing launch sales. Sony seems to do wonders with their launches (poorest record compare with PS2). However as the 1st party game die down over the next 5 years, the consoles do the same thing. (For some reason handhelds don't die down but have to survive in hard by price cut, and compete with the king of multimedia player - ipod).

Too bad to Sony.....

Kwaad said:
robjoh said:
@Kwaad why does it seems that as fast as you arrive to any the thread goes OT? Come on try to behave. Come with some godd argument why something will happen instead of just writing with caps and destroying the discussion. I asked before if it isn't a big difference between N64 and Wii because I belive N64 never sold really well in Japan, is that false? Shams stated some other things that was the reason for the failure for N64 can you state why those faults are in the Wii too?

I'm talking about the amazing launch sales. Nintendo seems to do wonders with their launches. However as the 1st party games die down over the next 3 years, the consoles do the same thing. (For some reason handhelds dont die down, the same old games keep selling, and selling, and selling, and selling, and selling. Kinda strange)

When can we finally put this argument to it´s grave where it belongs to? No, there was no Nintendo home console with a big launch. The NES launched slow. The SNES launched slow (not even 200k consoles sold in the first week in Japan and US was not high too.) The N64 sold about 340k consoles the first week in Japan - and struggled in the second week. The GC sold 125k consoles in the first week I think and the US launch was poorer than XBox launch.

So where did a Nintendo System sell well in the first months? Not even the DS sold good when it launched, just the GBA. So there goes your argument...

N64 went on to sell 20M in NA after a successful few months, if the Wii then goes on to sell 20M in each region that's 60M total, is that then a failure?

Kwaad said:

Havent I already said? The PS3 is doomed to Wii fanboys Dooming it untill it blows the doors off their Wii. And then I'm gonna come on here and be like. BUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA YOU F*KING IDIOTS! I TOLD YOU SO A YEAR AGO, AND YOU SAID "YOU IDIOT, THE PS3 IS GONNA FAIL!!!!" Just you wait and see. I swear I will do it the month the PS3 passes the Wii in sales.

EDIT: With 600 thousand sales in march in europe, around 150,000 in america, and around 100 thousand in Japan puts the PS3 to around 950thousand... Something like that, around 100,000 more than the Wii.

BUAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WII IS GONNA FAIL!!! BUAHHAHAHA.

(ok, so it was the launch month of the european PS3, but still I couldnt help myself)

You will see that day when PS3 outsell Wii in probably 4-5 years later and then PS3 is being outsold by Wii 2 ! (PS3 claim to have 10 years lifetime, right ?). Good try ! 

Around the Network
Gamecraze said:
Eh, all my hardcore friends have a wii, and basically stopped playing our 360's for it (or it breaking) 6/7 friends with one broke including myself, still like it tho. wii can do everything ps2-xbox can do, + semi virtual reality. Quality is not about graphics. God of war/ FF12 for example. You could do a god of war/ heavlny sword, with wii controls no problem. I personally hate madden games but i love it for the wii, because of the controls. I finally dont screw up the dang button combos timing, cuz its now just movement. Hardcore, whatever, is not about graphics, if you think it is, your not hardcore. Its about the expierence, If you cannot enjoy a game of goldeneye n64, because it is too old, or not HD, well sucks to be you. Personally if starcraft 2 looks like diablo 2 and was released today, i'd be happy. I could care less on graphics on that. I just want war3 matchmaking. Anyway, almost any game type can be imroved using the wii control system to a much closer representation of the mouse/keyboard combo. If it is easier, cheaper, quicker to make and with a greater userbase = profit. "Hardcore" will follow. Alot easier to adapt to a cheap system later than a expensive system early. I mean, developers will have a huge sales base in the wii, and then that'll boost the sales of the wii further by adding hardcore games to it because it'll draw the hardcore in droves, and it's cheap enough to not cause them to wait for 5+ must have games, even 2 must have's could do it. The lineup is quite similar to the ps1, - jack squat because nothing on it, but when stuff got made for it, all the hardcore people jumped off the n64 and onto the ps1. Difference here is, ps2 sales, ps1 lineup. Thus if it starts getting ps2 level of lineup, the sales will come rushing like a tidal wave.

I have the 360 and the wii and I never play the Wi, no good games (for me), I  only play with the 360 now, never had a problem with it, but if it breaks I'm sure i'll buy a new one.

For me the wii is fun if you are playing with someone, but I usually play by myself, and the control is not very accurate and if a game is available for the wii and the 30 I know I'll buy it for the 360.

Yes I'm a fanboy of microsoft, but I recognize that nintendo is helping the game market a lot by incrising the number of players, and Sony they have a very good system but very expensive, I'm looking foward for some wii games but I'm really exited about the 360 games.

Kwaad said:

(ok, so it was the launch month of the european PS3, but still I couldnt help myself)

Of course you couldn't help yourself, even doctors are incapable of helping you...

This thread is too funny, it's almost like a Shane said thread. Shane has a strong future as a troll

Anyone who honestly believes PS3 will sell 20-30 million units, raise your hand. Hopefully we'll get fewer hands than those who believe Wii will sell 100 million units.

I didn't know that Nintendo published games for SE. If that is correct I am sorry.

Nintendo published I-VI. Sony published VII. EA published VIII-X. Square published X-2 on. I personally think Square should make Sony publish them all in the west. Make them work for the exclusivity, and they'll probably do a better job anyway.

The likely hood that the PS3 will sell over 20 million units is MUCH higher than the Wii selling over 100 million.