By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How difficult is the SAT?????

ssj12 said:
Melissa said:
Oh! Test tips:

If you don't know an answer, skip it and come back. it's better to answer as many questions as possible. Just make *sure* you've skipped the appropriate number on the bubble sheet.

Use a slightly dull pencil. Takes less time to fill in bubbles.

Make sure to bring good snacks, and eat during breaks. Hiking food is good: fruit, trail mix, stuff like that. Nothing particularly loud or messy.

Don't just pack it: wear your jacket.

Wait, I think that last one is boat safety, not taking the SATs...

and if your in the last 5 minutes and still dont have a clue, answer it anyways. You get a point jsut for filing the darn thing in.

Eh? You've taken them sooner then i have, but back when i took them you lost more points for being wrong them leaving them blank. I know that is how it is for the GRE's as well. Though if you have a 50-50 guess it's worth guessing.

Around the Network

I thought they were really easy by the way, didn't even study, but then again i know people who bombed hard. I really think it depends more how you think then what you know.

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
Melissa said:
Oh! Test tips:

If you don't know an answer, skip it and come back. it's better to answer as many questions as possible. Just make *sure* you've skipped the appropriate number on the bubble sheet.

Make sure to bring good snacks, and eat during breaks. Hiking food is good: fruit, trail mix, stuff like that. Nothing particularly loud or messy.

and if your in the last 5 minutes and still dont have a clue, answer it anyways. You get a point jsut for filing the darn thing in.

Eh? You've taken them sooner then i have, but back when i took them you lost more points for being wrong them leaving them blank. I know that is how it is for the GRE's as well. Though if you have a 50-50 guess it's worth guessing.

You're correct, and SSJ12 is wrong again.  You lose points for each question you get wrong, 1/4 of what you get for answering a question correctly, to be exact.  Probability says that if you can narrow it down to 4 or less possible answers, you can at least break even, and usually do better than that, by guessing.  If you have absolutely no clue and can't eliminate a single one, don't guess.  I got a 1220/1600 in 7th grade.  Math will get you unless you're 3 years ahead.  You have to know some Geometry and Algebra 2 for it, and a 7th grader generally won't know any of either.  It gets better with each time you take it, though.  Last time I took the PSAT (recycled SATs) I got a 2300 as a Junior.

tarheel91 said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
Melissa said:
Oh! Test tips:

You're correct, and SSJ12 is wrong again.  You lose points for each question you get wrong, 1/4 of what you get for answering a question correctly, to be exact.  Probability says that if you can narrow it down to 4 or less possible answers, you can at least break even, and usually do better than that, by guessing.  If you have absolutely no clue and can't eliminate a single one, don't guess.  I got a 1220/1600 in 7th grade.  Math will get you unless you're 3 years ahead.  You have to know some Geometry and Algebra 2 for it, and a 7th grader generally won't know any of either.  It gets better with each time you take it, though.  Last time I took the PSAT (recycled SATs) I got a 2300 as a Junior.

hmm... I never took my PSAT.. but I got a 2178, 768 in math, 715 in reading, and 695 on the writing part. I ran out of room for my essay =/

I think im right about the point thing as I didnt have a clue what the answer was for half the math questions. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

it's not hard for me I took it in preschool and gots me 1610 they gave me more then a perfect score because I'm so rad to the max, but you like nintendo so it may be hard for you!!!!!

Around the Network

I got an 1800/2400. I was very surpirsed as I studied very little. It is kinda hard, if you don't know what's going to be on there.

ssj12 said:

I think im right about the point thing

You're very wrong about the point thing. It's exactly as tarheel said, you lose 1/4 point for each wrong answer. So if you randomly guess on 5 questions, you will probably get one of them right (since each has a 1/5 chance) and four of them wrong. Your score for these 5 questions will be zero, which is what it would be if you left them all blank. Guessing does not help you unless you can eliminate some possible answers first.

There was no writing when I took the SAT. In 7th grade I got 340/710 verbal/math, in 11th grade I got 680/800.

Anyway, don't worry about it, because it doesn't count for anything. What it will do is give you experience in taking the test, so when you take it again in 11th grade, you'll have seen it before, and you'll know what to expect.

I teach SAT prep. Random guessing gives you no statistical benefit, but no statistical penalty. You lose a quarter point for a wrong answer, and gain one point for a right answer. Since there are 5 options for each question, you would expect to get 4 wrong and 1 right for every 5 guesses.

1 right * 1 point = 1 point
4 wrong * -0.25 point = -1 point

Total = 0 points

If you can eliminate one answer as definitely wrong then RANDOMLY guess, you gain a statistical advantage.

MAKE SURE you answer all math problems that force you to grid a numerical answer. There is no penalty for a wrong answer. Grid in a common answer if you don't know. 0 or 1 are good choices.

Also... there is no trig. There is right triangle geometry, but it is limited to Pythagorean theorem and special triangles (30-60-90 degrees, 45-45-90 degrees).

Hope that helps ^_^

I took the thing years ago, but I breezed by with a 1560.

My biggest recommendation is this. Give yourself a timer.

DO NOT FILL IN ANY ANSWER COMPLETELY. Dot, slash, short mark of some kind that fits into the bubble. Then when you have about 5 - 15 minutes left, go back and quickly fill everything in. I find that trying to fill in the dot completely breaks my pace and gets me out of "the zone" I dunno if you have "a zone" at all, but every little bit helps.
Along with this, if you have a question you're not certain about, take a quick scan to see if you can tell which answers it definitely isn't, and mark down what ones are left. if you only make a dot, you can erase it pretty easily. make sure you know the various angles for sin and cos, other than that, there's not much beyond algebra and trig, maybe a teensy bit of basic precalc.

then again, this was years ago, I've heard that they changed it from being just math and english to being math, english and then a short essay or something.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
I took the thing years ago, but I breezed by with a 1560.

My biggest recommendation is this. Give yourself a timer.

DO NOT FILL IN ANY ANSWER COMPLETELY. Dot, slash, short mark of some kind that fits into the bubble. Then when you have about 5 - 15 minutes left, go back and quickly fill everything in. I find that trying to fill in the dot completely breaks my pace and gets me out of "the zone" I dunno if you have "a zone" at all, but every little bit helps.
Along with this, if you have a question you're not certain about, take a quick scan to see if you can tell which answers it definitely isn't, and mark down what ones are left. if you only make a dot, you can erase it pretty easily. make sure you know the various angles for sin and cos, other than that, there's not much beyond algebra and trig, maybe a teensy bit of basic precalc.

then again, this was years ago, I've heard that they changed it from being just math and english to being math, english and then a short essay or something.

that is a good idea. go with this. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453