Forums - PC Discussion - Suggest Some Stuff to Push my Top-End GPU

yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:

If you want something that is not shooter you could try Shogun 2

That's not a very hard game to run on the highest graphics though.

You must be joking, Shogun 2 is a definite stress test, especially with the DX11 update.

I don't think so. My computer could run it on everything at the highest settings without a hitch yet it could only run the witcher 2 on medium low settings.

Have you done any sort of benchmarking for Shogun 2? Are you using the DX11 setup?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-270762.html

Check out the benchmark performance of 1 and 2 6950 with max setting. This game is not playable for multiplayer purposes on max setting with only 1 6950! Crossfire yeilds you 41 frames.

My personal setup with 2 GTX 580 in sli yielded 51 frames per second.

The same setup is currently running Witcher 2 with everything max (minus uber sampling) at 100 fps and runs with uber on at 45 fps. (Although it is noted that witcher 2 is not yet fully opitmize for SLI yet)

I don't know what to tell you man other then my laptop that I used to have had a Geforce GTX 460m in it and it could run the game on the max settings and have a good frame rate whilst it would only run the Witcher 2 on medium low at less then 30 FPS.

And yes I was running it in DX11

What CPU did you have? Isn't Witcher 2 quite CPU intensive compared to other titles? Could be that Witcher 2 was CPU limited compared to Shogun 2.

Around the Network

naz Maybe you should post some screens of some maxed out games in the screenshot thread ; )

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Crysis
Crysis 2
ArmA II

Naturally I'm not sure as I don't have a monster PC to play them on so I don't really have that much experience with how they handle on high settings...

Scoobes said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:

You must be joking, Shogun 2 is a definite stress test, especially with the DX11 update.

I don't think so. My computer could run it on everything at the highest settings without a hitch yet it could only run the witcher 2 on medium low settings.

Have you done any sort of benchmarking for Shogun 2? Are you using the DX11 setup?

Check out the benchmark performance of 1 and 2 6950 with max setting. This game is not playable for multiplayer purposes on max setting with only 1 6950! Crossfire yeilds you 41 frames.

The same setup is currently running Witcher 2 with everything max (minus uber sampling) at 100 fps and runs with uber on at 45 fps. (Although it is noted that witcher 2 is not yet fully opitmize for SLI yet)

I don't know what to tell you man other then my laptop that I used to have had a Geforce GTX 460m in it and it could run the game on the max settings and have a good frame rate whilst it would only run the Witcher 2 on medium low at less then 30 FPS.

What CPU did you have? Isn't Witcher 2 quite CPU intensive compared to other titles? Could be that Witcher 2 was CPU limited compared to Shogun 2.

No thats not the mystery, a GTX 460m should only be getting around 20-25 FPS max for the in-game-battles (the real time one) if everything has been set to max with 16x AN and 8x AA. Test have shown that even a 6950 is only capable of getting that type of performance. I don't get how he can get a stable 30+ frame on max setting with just a 460m...

@yo_john117 and zarx : are you using the same screen resolution? That could explain part of the mystery.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:

Very odd lol, Shogun 2 is generally consider a very gpu / cpu intensive game, I'm really suprise you can run this game with Max setting without any hiccup.... did you use 8x AA and 16x AN?

I believe so....I'm still not sure how I could run that game on max whilst the Witcher 2 ran like ass...didn't make any sense to me.

Oh and now that I think about it I have to clarify something quick...there may have been a few hiccups and such that I didn't notice because I'm used to playing Console games and framerate drops are common amongst them so I have a tendency not to notice them as much.

Scoobes said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:

I had a Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 2.0GHz processor speed.

Also my screen resolution was 1600 x 900 I believe.

yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
zarx said:

Very odd lol, Shogun 2 is generally consider a very gpu / cpu intensive game, I'm really suprise you can run this game with Max setting without any hiccup.... did you use 8x AA and 16x AN?

I believe so....I'm still not sure how I could run that game on max whilst the Witcher 2 ran like ass...didn't make any sense to me.

Oh and now that I think about it I have to clarify something quick...there may have been a few hiccups and such that I didn't notice because I'm used to playing Console games and framerate drops are common amongst them so I have a tendency not to notice them as much.

You should try to do a bechmark on shogun 2 :)

From what you are stating, I'm fairly certain you're getting around 20 fps which is playable from my perspective. (PC purist would crucify me, I have a friend that chucks a fit whenever he can't get 60 fps on a game) You are likely getting spikes when major action happens but are shrugging it off as they are small performance dip. Shogun takes a lot of GPU and CPU power to run properly, and a consistent smooth framerate is almost impossible even on a high end PC when doing 4v4 battles, especially if there is canons involved.

mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:
yo_john117 said:
mibuokami said:

You should try to do a bechmark on shogun 2 :)

From what you are stating, I'm fairly certain you're getting around 20 fps which is playable from my perspective. (PC purist would crucify me, I have a friend that chucks a fit whenever he can't get 60 fps on a game) You are likely getting spikes when major action happens but are shrugging it off as they are small performance dip. Shogun takes a lot of GPU and CPU power to run properly, and a consistent smooth framerate is almost impossible even on a high end PC when doing 4v4 battles, especially if there is canons involved.

Alas I don't have that laptop anymore :/ I sold it to get myself a nicer car that I needed pretty badly.

And yeah I never did any online with it I just played some of the campaign (nothing involving cannons)

Crysis 2 DX11
Metro 2033
Crysis - Realistic Mod
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Witcher 2
Just Cause 2
Battlefield BC2
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
GTA4 - Realism Mod