By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you, Sony and Microsoft see a future in Motion Control?

Seeing as though in the technology industry every one always follows the leader as they adapt to the new revolutionising technology it could almost be safe to assume that we can expect fully functional motion sensing controls in every console in the next generation. If motion-sensing technology was Nintendo’s trump card in regaining a position in the console industry this generation what more could they do to stay ahead once every one catches up? (Even if the virtual reality concept is fully implemented throughout the generation)

It is obvious motion controls are now and HD will gain more importance towards the end of this gen and the beginning of the next. Nintendo will make the change at the time but could Microsoft and Sony be too proud to implement this game changing technology? I get the impression from them that if its not developed by them its inferior on all levels, but this could just be part of their marketing.

If Nintendo changes the world into thinking games should be played with a free hand TV like remote with a pointer and motion sensing wouldn’t this cause so much damage to any console still trying to make it with just a traditional controller? Nintendo has done to Sony and MS what they tried to do to Nintendo with HD

If this thread has already been covered my apologies, but I think I’m looking at it from a different perspective to stuff I’ve seen written here before. What are your insights into the future of the changing industry and the disruption Nintendo has caused? Will every one be forced to follow suit and if they did could Nintendo defend themselves on even ground? Or do you think motion controls aren’t the make or break for the future generation of consoles?

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

Around the Network

Its hard to imagine right now but i think future consoles will have to find a way to incorporate both in their standard set-up. Personally i feel that only by perfecting the medium between standard and motion sensors can the next generation proceed.

Games i'm currently playing:

It could go either way. I think Microsoft will continue to carve out their niche... at least for the next 20 years, there will be gamers who simply prefer a "traditional" control scheme, and these are the people Microsoft will get. Sony isn't as well defined as the other two companies... they're the wild card. I have no idea what they might do.

HAHAHA MEL I LOVE YOUR LITTLE BANNER/SIGNATURE! HAHAHAHAHAH SO LOVE IT!!!! SO MUCH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH man laugh if that takes off and 10 years later some dude at nintendo says it in regards to the reason behind the motivation of the development of their new console *wishes very hard*

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

sony yes/ microsoft no

Around the Network

I said in another thread - http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=13067&start=0#end - that I felt that the Wii offered 8th generation controls/interactivity, so yes I do feel motion sensing is the future.

It's not however the be all and end off of the next - 8th - Gen.

The next Gen will be a merging of everything we see this gen - motion sensing controls from the Wii, Online gaming from the 360, Blue Ray disks* from the PS3 and HD from the 360/PS3.

* or HD DVD disks, depending on the politics of adopting Blue Ray (Microsoft) or if Blue Ray is the successful format of the HD "war".

Systems Owned - High end PC, Nintendo DS, X-Box 360 and PS3 

PSN and 360 ID's - Tommo1975

Slightly off topic I know, but  a continuation of the above - what we may see in the next gen war is that all the manufacturers adopting the Nintendo strategy of aiming for the casual market first and then going for the hardcore gamer, as opposed to the traditional strategy of hardcore gamer first and then casual market later. Afterall, this is why the Wii is ahead of the 360/PS3, so my prediction will be - low price, but profitable to sell hardware from MS/Sony from the get go, especially after the no/little profits Sony and MS have so far gained from the 360/PS3.

Systems Owned - High end PC, Nintendo DS, X-Box 360 and PS3 

PSN and 360 ID's - Tommo1975

Well, Sony has the Eyetoy/PS Eye which is capable of motion sensing and will continue to improve next generation, so that is a possible avenue for them. MS has apparently already approached Gyration Inc. about similar tech to that found in the wii.
But I guess the core of your argument is whether the motion-sensing technologies used in the wii will become standard. The answer to that is almost certainly no.
Whatever nintendo fans say, the wii's motion-controls have been a success because of the novelty factor. Due to the paucity of buttons and the limitations of the accelerometer/pointer combo, the wiimote/nunchuk doesn't offer as many input options as a standard controller. Nintendo's unique design obviously has a lot of potential for new control schemes, but they will be pretty much be exhausted by the end of this gen.
MS and Sony may incorporate some kind of motion-control (Sony already has) but it will not replace the classic controller. It is just too impractical.
The best bet would be for them to release an add-on peripheral. Actually I'm surprised they haven't already. Nintendo haven't developed any of the tech themselves so the patents on the wiimote are probably pretty shaky (check out Namco's Guncon for evidence of that.)

Have to. There is no other reason to account for the Wii's success right now, and it'd be foolish to think that gamers won't be looking for it next generation. It'd be like leaving out analogue sticks on the PS2 or XBox. But just as those consoles kept D-pads, expect them to incorporate something like a traditional controller as well.

Yes/Yes.

But Nintendo will increase their technological advantage in that area having had the experience. I can see next generation at least belonging to Nintendo if current trends continue.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.