By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Editorial: 3DS vs. PS Vita - Will History Repeat Itself?

M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
N64 and GC did not have 2D Marios and real Pokemon RPG. These are the reasons why 3DS will sell 10m just in Japan.

On other note, Sony has not traditionally gone for tremendous powerful hardware. They did it half the time.

I agree about this not already won battle, but 3DS has right now 200 games releasing between now and next year, it can't do that bad, and also Nintendo is able to cut the price even to 150$ according to reports, while obviously Sony can't. It's all about balance for Nintendo, while Sony is already playing all its cards (all Vita still needs is a system seller, like MH).

lolwut?

ok let me put it this way to you

it's not about 'balance' or any of that crap for ninty...they handled the 3ds launch HORRIBLY!

and add thigns like bad battery life, region lock, friend code (seriously, it's 2011 already for crying out loud) and non stop stream of ports...not sure why you would use the term 'balance' here but but looks like piss poor stuff from ninty on hw and sw front so far.

it's NOT about playing all your cards, it's about playing your card rights, neither you or me know what sony has in store additionally, but so far they have done so so much better than ninty in the handling of their new handheld. Solid HW, GREAT value for the price unlike the overpriced 3ds hw, good variety of games with LOTS of new IP's even before GC and TGS!

and I honestly don't care about this 3ds vs psv stuff sales wise...cuz as a consumer that is just an online hobby and won't affect me otherwise. I seriously doubt psv will outsell 3ds LT either. But heck give Sony cred where cred is due and call out ninty when they mess up. So far Sony have given everything fans wanted and asked for. So no it's not about balance, it's not about playing 'all; you cards (really? I mean really? time machine you have, i need it) it's about playing your cards right :) simple as that

What you call "right cards" I call them "all cards", simple as that. What more could do Sony now? They've just done everything they could, delivering a great machine even for the mass market. BUT this means, right now, all they need is a good support to suceed: if it doesn't come, Sony won't suceed.

What you call "bad launch" I call it "lack of balance": as you say 3DS is not perfect, actually I would like to know why you are attacking the FC system which has greatly improven (one code, imput one time, simple as that, and liked to out Club Nintendo account in case of broken console) or the battery, since it's something PSV won't shine either, and it deserved to start slowly. But all these problems can be solved and what Nintendo needs is exactly balance: in their line up, about the price (not depending on demand as of now) and in their multiple offerings (eshop, or online system).

As many said, now it's not Sony's turn to make right choices, but Nintendo's one to correct their bad choices.

I don't have a time machine, I would like one to skip my exams...but I know all you people acting like Vita is going to dominate don't understand how the market goes: who would have tought about 3DS failure at launch, after preordering records? Who would have tought about Nintendo's come back after GC era, with an overpriced console and doomed by the godly Sony? We can't predict the future either way, but, as I said, Nintendo has all the ability to come back when they want...while PSV has some big sellers but not a system seller as big as Mario Kart is. Story will tell who'll be the winner, right now I'm sure that Nintendo is lacking a balance for their console, and over 200 games are a good answer to start solving the problems.

u mad bro? lol

first off "What you call "right cards" I call them "all cards""...lolwut? I mean really? that's the BEST you can come up with? if you think this all the 'cards' that will be played in a gen you are being naive. it takes way more than this to do well in a console generation, I would've expected you to know that, too bad really.

again with this 'balance' >_> this is getting embrassing...what is this balance nonsense really? they need to balance they shortcomings with positives or something? it has nothing to do with the term balance...its just shortcomings. it won't 'balance' things out. really, I wonder how you guys even come up with these terms :S balance...

and hold your senstive horse there buddy..attacking? :P internet is not that serious ya know. actually it can be but FC? LOLNO! not a topic I will bother attacking. and if you fail to see how FC in this day and age is trailing behind ps/xbl...i have nothing more to say to you. as long as you're happy I guess.

battery? psv will be around the same as psp. not a downgrade compared to last gen and considering the monster is packing what it does, that's outright awesome. and it will get better too..cuz you see sony can improve on these things to just like ninty can 0_0 OMG! what an idea right?

acting liek vita dominate? >_> do you actually read what I type or just see somethign negative about ninty and go bonkers? you do realize I have literally mention that I don't think psv will outsell 3ds around 4-5 times in this thread alone already? and you go on a rant about how things change etc etc but you do realize this applies to 'everyone'...and this is something I have been saying for a looooooooooooong time here in the forums. things change, I doubt sony will surpass ninty in the handheld arena this gen but boy are they trying or what. Give cred where cred is due...and don't worry knowing sony they will manage to ef something up sooner or later lol :P

Ok, think what you think. I'm speaking of sales in the only sales site I know, you're speaking of games like in every other existing forum, maybe I should just say I like 3DS over Vita, maybe you would accept that over my trying to express my opinion about why IMHO Nintendo can overcome this situation. Mybe is all a misunderstanding, I'm using the words I know to speak, I'm not english native and for me balance is the right choice for what I think...if you don't accept my opinion it's fine, but to me it seems like you just want me and everyone to accept Vita is superior and 3DS is shitty, which is something subjective as long as on a console we play games. You don't think Nintendo can correct their mistakes? Or that Sony could not make some? I will repeat myself: I'm not trying to give credit to either of the two, I'm trying to be objective about the future. I actually would give more credit to Sony for their PSP than for Vita, they expanded the market and create some competition. No, I'm not mad, I'm just trying to explain something to you and you continue make a joke out of me XD

yes yes that answer did show you are not mad all right >_>

few things here

I'm not a native english speaker either! :P

I'm not saying 3ds is shitty, stop being paranoid geez

the fact you are not giving cred due is one of the problems here, sony deserves it this time around

i have already said imho sales wise LT 3ds >PSV... don't think we are disagreeing on that point.

this IS a gaming forum which also deals with sales, not one or the other

i already told Khan, I think ninty will improve too, hw revisions, some original games etc will come and will help 3ds, not disagreeing with you there either

things change and I already told you sony WILL eff up somehow at least on something in the future :P do you honestly not read what I type?

We're in agreement about sales, our only point of disagreement is about credit. And I'm not giving credit to anyone, why should I? I read what you typed, it's just that we speak about different things: you like way more PSV and think it should selle better because it deserves, I like  way more 3DS (because of the Nintendo games mostly) and I'm saying we'll see. As I said PSP was a superior hardware to DS, but millions ended up preferring the latter...I'm one of those, and I see the same situation with 3DS and Vita: Sony made a great handheld (it's the third time I say it, or do you want the direct words "I give credit to Sony"?) BUT I don't see everything terrible on 3DS either, actually FOR ME Street pass is a beautiful feature, I like the (of course limited) eshop and I'm enjoing two beautiful third party games (Ghost Recon and DoA).

do I think psv should sell more? of course! but am I saying it will? nope.

if you think psv only has stronger hw and it's the same as the psp ds situation you are dead wrong..might wanna look up what psv offers.

good to hear you can't see any shortcomings when it comes to ninty >_> really helps your arguments

good to hear you are enjoying the 3ds...I'm enjoying ps3 psp these days btw..doesn't have anything to do with our discussion but why not, I will add some random thoughts on it too

i don't want you to say give cred to sony (would be nice I guess lol) I want you to understand what a load of rubbish you typed on your initial post with balancing and such....the mere fact we went from ninty fan made threads of psp3 doa, psp2 no dev support to this point shows how well sony has handled things so far. you not seeing anything wrong about ninty won't change that :)

Uhm ok, I still don't understand much of what you're saying (I should not say I like 3DS, I should not say I'm enjoying it, I should not make predictions on sales). And I don't understand either why you choose my words, where did I say Nintendo has not made mistakes? They did, but they're (IMHO as always) not killing my experience, and the experience of those who are playing it. You should not think that I'm the other people, I don't care for what people said before Vita's revealing...so nothing, if sales don't care and if everyone has different tastes, why even speaking? I'm not defensive, actually I'm the one saying "just enjoy your console". You want me to say i written rubish? If this post is rubish too I'll say it, because I'm thinking the same thing from the beginning, just using different words...

you are jumping all over the place...we are not discussing if you are enjoying the 3ds or not..I mean really..who cares? :S that adds nothing to back anything you have said

what you said was rubbish..simple as that

sony have played all their cards now..no cards left bla bla bla...BUT WAIT! good news ladies and gents ninty has done no wrong but it's all about the holy BALANCE! yes 'balance'! if they can do some good stuff it will balance out......!?!11!

let's face it...you won't admit to the fact that sony did things right and ninty did some things wrong. you refuse to give cred where cred is due and resort to downplaying, it's quite sad really.

sorry darth this one is a lost cause. don't think continuing arguing with him will make a difference

I said Vita is a great piece of hardware, I said Nintendo has done things wrong and I said I could give credit to Sony even for PSP. Who's not understanding who? Please just accept these threee things and I'm fine, you're just discussing everything I said even if, from my second post, I always sid this...

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Roma said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Roma said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

i think few of you need to start reading better..it's getting silly

1. psp gives me around 5hours of gameplay..maybe 6.

2. doesn't change the fact that successor to ds which has way better battery life is a step back..huge step back.

3. you guys are waaaay to defensive :P

simple..it really is.

Well the 3DS does have a bigger top screen plus the lower touch, WiFi, motion, gyros plus the huge battery consuming 3D and better graphic lol

Adding stuff will automatically increase battery consumption. Your talking as if the 3DS is a DS with just 3D tacked on it and this is not the case here

paranoia much? never said that :) never implied that, never will

and you do realize all the things you listed other than the 3d, PSV does more right? and it has 3g too in the 3g model...yet the word is it's around the same as it's predecessor. 3ds has failed to match or even come close to it. for the fans of psp, they will be content (I wouldn't mind more battery life for psv myself but I'm content. but battery life was one of the advantages ds had over psp...doesn't look like it's the case this time around. it's a step back on battery life front for 3ds

Sorry but I have no idea how long the 3g model will last as they never stated that both models will last as long as the PSP so unless you know you can’t say for sure how long it will last with 3g on :P

I'm sorry but unless you can show me where I compared the battery life of 3ds vs psv you are ranting on about something I didn't even mention. :P grasping at straws much. I was referring to 3ds battery life which is pretty bad and is a big step back. you may point out the same if psv is way behind psp in the future ;) or better yet make a thread on it cuz that's a whole other topic

lol just because I just deleted what you said before does not mean it never happened. You stated that the PSV had better battery life than the 3DS and that’s the main reason I started commenting on what you were saying.

My point is that you should not state something you do not know. If you had it backed up with info then sure I would not argue with you at all

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Throughout these debates I'm always amused by people saying that this isn't playing out in the same way as the DS/PSP debates did in 2004 when they were clearly 10 years old at the time (or perhaps younger). They're in no position to say anything of the sort.

2004: It's more powerful, it's got an analog nub which is better than a touch screen, it's got better media capabilities so it's like an all in one device, UMD > cartridge (no, really...), no Playstation has lost a console war and thus it's games are more popular, it's more expensive so it seems like more of a luxury item whereas the DS looks cheap, etc, etc, etc, etc...

2011: It's more powerful, it's got two analog nubs and two touch screens (suck it!), it's got 3G so it's always online, it's got cartridges as well and they're awesome, our augmented reality is better than your augmented reality, it's got price parity but the 3DS still looks cheap, Sony stumbled so Nintendo will as well etc, etc, etc, etc...

Yeah, it's completely different.... *sigh*

Carry on, I'll see you in x years for the next round of 'new' debate.

VGChartz

Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

you are jumping all over the place...we are not discussing if you are enjoying the 3ds or not..I mean really..who cares? :S that adds nothing to back anything you have said

sony have played all their cards now..no cards left bla bla bla...BUT WAIT! good news ladies and gents ninty has done no wrong but it's all about the holy BALANCE! yes 'balance'! if they can do some good stuff it will balance out......!?!11!

let's face it...you won't admit to the fact that sony did things right and ninty did some things wrong. you refuse to give cred where cred is due and resort to downplaying, it's quite sad really.

sorry darth this one is a lost cause. don't think continuing arguing with him will make a difference

I said Vita is a great piece of hardware, I said Nintendo has done things wrong and I said I could give credit to Sony even for PSP. Who's not understanding who? Please just accept these threee things and I'm fine, you're just discussing everything I said even if, from my second post, I always sid this...

I feel like I'm repeating myself here and you are either not getting the point or you pretend not to. :S

it's not a matter of if you could or not..you should give cred..if you can't at least don't downplay it...you didn't point out what ninty did wrong but went on a rant about but with ninty it's about balance or some nonsense like that.

meh why bother :) you clearly see no evil when it comes to ninty

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Mr Khan said:
o_O.Q said:
Mr Khan said:

This is irrelevant to the current debate, given that the console versions would undercut sales of Call of Duty on Vita, whereas Mario Kart would be a unique game with no immediate competitor, and would thus serve as a reason to buy the console.

so why is it that CoD given only 6 months can sell half as much as mario kart ds which took at least 3 or 4 years to sell what its sold on both the 360 and ps3 when each version of the game has to compete with at least 3 or so other platforms ( for example the ps3 version competes with 360 and wii )

I'm not entirely sure what we're talking about here. I'm saying that Call of Duty's ability to be a system-seller for Vita will be impaired for various reasons, and the game's overall sales numbers and speed at which it sells are not relevant to the argument that it could be. This isn't a Mario Kart v. CoD debate.

here let me show you another exmeple of impairment : why buy a 3ds and mario kart 3ds for around $300 when you can buy mario kart bundle with wii for $150?

but thats off topic "This isn't a Mario Kart v. CoD debate. "

actually it was if you had tried a little harder to look back and see what i was discusing with dany you would have seen that i was saying that CoD can be considered a system seller just like how he considers  mario kart to be a system seller

Around the Network
Roma said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I'm sorry but unless you can show me where I compared the battery life of 3ds vs psv you are ranting on about something I didn't even mention. :P grasping at straws much. I was referring to 3ds battery life which is pretty bad and is a big step back. you may point out the same if psv is way behind psp in the future ;) or better yet make a thread on it cuz that's a whole other topic

lol just because I just deleted what you said before does not mean it never happened. You stated that the PSV had better battery life than the 3DS and that’s the main reason I started commenting on what you were saying.

My point is that you should not state something you do not know. If you had it backed up with info then sure I would not argue with you at all

oh by all means, the thread is still here. look up and post where I said that. I have no problem apologizing if that was the case :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

milkyjoe said:
Throughout these debates I'm always amused by people saying that this isn't playing out in the same way as the DS/PSP debates did in 2004 when they were clearly 10 years old at the time (or perhaps younger). They're in no position to say anything of the sort.

2004: It's more powerful, it's got an analog nub which is better than a touch screen, it's got better media capabilities so it's like an all in one device, UMD > cartridge (no, really...), no Playstation has lost a console war and thus it's games are more popular, it's more expensive so it seems like more of a luxury item whereas the DS looks cheap, etc, etc, etc, etc...

2011: It's more powerful, it's got two analog nubs and two touch screens (suck it!), it's got 3G so it's always online, it's got cartridges as well and they're awesome, our augmented reality is better than your augmented reality, it's got price parity but the 3DS still looks cheap, Sony stumbled so Nintendo will as well etc, etc, etc, etc...

Yeah, it's completely different.... *sigh*

Carry on, I'll see you in x years for the next round of 'new' debate.

if I may ask, who are you referring to? we are all adults here so I'm sure no one would mind :) better than a hit and run post right? better than sighing too I'm sure

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

Mr Khan said:
o_O.Q said:
Mr Khan said:

This is irrelevant to the current debate, given that the console versions would undercut sales of Call of Duty on Vita, whereas Mario Kart would be a unique game with no immediate competitor, and would thus serve as a reason to buy the console.

so why is it that CoD given only 6 months can sell half as much as mario kart ds which took at least 3 or 4 years to sell what its sold on both the 360 and ps3 when each version of the game has to compete with at least 3 or so other platforms ( for example the ps3 version competes with 360 and wii )

I'm not entirely sure what we're talking about here. I'm saying that Call of Duty's ability to be a system-seller for Vita will be impaired for various reasons, and the game's overall sales numbers and speed at which it sells are not relevant to the argument that it could be. This isn't a Mario Kart v. CoD debate.

Mario games are not known for its short sale gains, they come over time in a steady manner. They show the greatest legs.  o_O Q it's hard debating with you when I have no idea what point you are trying to get across with.

Also you mentioned why buy a 3DS, the same thing can be applied as to why someone will buy a 'PS3 instead of a 360 or a DS over PSP. Mario kart 3DS has value to justify that instead of buying a Kart Wii bundle. It has a different experience, it's not simply just a port.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I feel like I'm repeating myself here and you are either not getting the point or you pretend not to. :S

it's not a matter of if you could or not..you should give cred..if you can't at least don't downplay it...you didn't point out what ninty did wrong but went on a rant about but with ninty it's about balance or some nonsense like that.

Bah you're just playing with me. I said from the beginning Nintendo did wrong in releasing few games, I never said 3DS has a great battery life (it's acceptable, just like it'll be for Vita, 3D screens are too power consuming) or that it has a better online than 360, PS3 or even PSP. You're assuming this and make me look like a stupid fanboy. I think you are the one who can't see good things when it comes to Nintendo. But anyway, ok, let's stop here, if you can't understand what I said for hours I don't know what to do...

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Bah you're just playing with me. I said from the beginning Nintendo did wrong in releasing few games, I never said 3DS has a great battery life (it's acceptable, just like it'll be for Vita, 3D screens are too power consuming) or that it has a better online than 360, PS3 or even PSP. You're assuming this and make me look like a stupid fanboy. I think you are the one who can't see good things when it comes to Nintendo. But anyway, ok, let's stop here, if you can't understand what I said for hours I don't know what to do...

facepalm..nvm I agree let's just stop here

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!