By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Socom 4 FLOPPED HARD -- Lets talk about it

Why did Socom 4 Flop? Contrary to what some people might say in this thread, there was actually a decent amount of marketing and advertising for Socom 4.

Here are my thoughts......

-PlayStation Network went down a day after it was released. For single player games, this might not hurt as much, but Socom is primarily known as a multiplayer game.

-They released a Beta only a month before the game came out. TERRIBLE decision. 1) This doesnt give devs enough time to correct any mistakes. 2) It essentially gives players a taste of the retail game for free. At that point in development, there are no excuses for errors in the game since its basically the same as how the retail game is. It was more of a demo than a beta.... and it took WAY too long to download.

-They changed too many Socom essentials and tried to make it a 3rd person CoD.... This didnt sit well with Socom vets and alot of people boycotted the game or publicly trashed it.

-Releasing on the same day as Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat. What were they thinking??? There are so many "dry" weeks in gaming releases, why choose to come out the same day as two blockbusters?

-Devs wasted time on gimmicks like the MOVE controller and generic campaign when they should've been perfecting the online experience. Multiplayer lacked common features like Partying up with friends or joining clans.

-Simply put, the game is not that good and didn't deserve to sell. I own it, and regret it. The campaign isn't good IMO and the multiplayer is aggravating to say the least. Reviews were mediocre and word of mouth has not been good either.

Around the Network

Besides being an average game I think Socom: Confrontation didn't do 4 any good... people bought Confrontation on the Socom name, didn't like it, decided to skip on 4..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

i jumped out after terrible reviews and stayed with Portal 2. the game was changed far too much which it didn't since the originals sold so well. They made stupid design choices and try to jump on the cod/halo bandwagon and failed for it.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

It didn't help that an online game release when PSN is down aswell.....

PSN accident + its only a average game...i hope Twisted Metal will do better in every aspect...

Around the Network

I don't think it was entirely due to the whole PSN business, but it sure as hell played a large part.

Can't believe you didn't bring up the fact that it launched during psn outtage

Well the game had a decent opening, but there where no legs. The fanbase is still there, but the game seems mediocre, so I guess it never caught the mainstreams attention. Too bad, SOCOM was always one of the better 3rd person shooters out there :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

cant beleive you called move a gimmick.....

edit: i plan on getting socom 4 i liked it but ill wait until i can afford it, i have too many games to play as it is right now

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Zipper released an incomplete game (no party system)
Zipper sold out (took everything from COD and implanted it in Socom)
Zipper removed features and game modes everyone Socom vet wants (Lobbies and Demo)
I wonder if Zipper will start listening to what their fans have been saying for years now or will they use the PSN outage excuse for this game's failure