By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Greatest Basketball Players in History

CaptainObvious said:
I agree with this list not cause I'm a Boston fan O wait no that's the exact reason why i agree with this list. Larry Bird should be higher at least over Magic.

magic = 5 rings 3 mvps
bird = 3 rings 3 mvps

obviously magic should be higher considering more championships and same number of mvps. lets not be biased :P

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:
vlad321 said:
Saying that Bryant is better than Bird single-handedly discredits your list. Then you say Shaq was better than him and it gets even worse. You have the right people, just a completelu fucked order.

this list is NOT about skill. this list is about the ability to LEAD a team to a championship. bird did it three times. kobe did it five times. who was the better leader? there's no point comparing who has better skill. it's impossible to know that. what we can know is the number of rings that someone has.

The only reason Kobe has more titles then Bird is because of Shaq.  Shaq was the main man in the first three titles Kobe got.  Shaq won three finals MVP's with the Lakers proving he was the main force behind three of the Lakers five titles in the last decade.  So without him Kobe would at best be tied with Bird in the number of titles.  Not to mention that Kobe had a much better coach then Bird to help him win those five championships.  I don't even know who coached Bird to those three titles but I'm sure it was more then one coach.

Chris Hu said:
bugrimmar said:
vlad321 said:
Saying that Bryant is better than Bird single-handedly discredits your list. Then you say Shaq was better than him and it gets even worse. You have the right people, just a completelu fucked order.

this list is NOT about skill. this list is about the ability to LEAD a team to a championship. bird did it three times. kobe did it five times. who was the better leader? there's no point comparing who has better skill. it's impossible to know that. what we can know is the number of rings that someone has.

The only reason Kobe has more titles then Bird is because of Shaq.  Shaq was the main man in the first three titles Kobe got.  Shaq won three finals MVP's with the Lakers proving he was the main force behind three of the Lakers five titles in the last decade.  So without him Kobe would at best be tied with Bird in the number of titles.  Not to mention that Kobe had a much better coach then Bird to help him win those five championships.  I don't even know who coached Bird to those three titles but I'm sure it was more then one coach.

1. Bird was NOT the finals MVP of his 1981 championship. That was Cedric Maxwell. Therefore, Kobe 2 finals MVP, Bird 2 finals MVP.
2. Bird's coach for 1984 and 1986 championships was one of the best coaches in NBA history, K.C. Jones, who actually beat Riley in 84.
3. Kobe's playoff scoring average for the 3 Shaq teams was 21, 29, and 27. Shaq's was 30, 30, and 28. Yes, Shaq was the leader, but Kobe was obviously not just a Scottie Pippen because their point totals are almost the same. They were co-captains.

Cirio said:
And boy, I think Dirk Nowitzki deserves an honorable mention on this list :P

i hope you are kidding...

Good list, but it's hard to please everyone with the order.

Around the Network
TT Makaveli said:
Cirio said:
And boy, I think Dirk Nowitzki deserves an honorable mention on this list :P

i hope you are kidding...

I'm not?

bugrimmar said:
Chris Hu said:
bugrimmar said:
vlad321 said:

1. Bird was NOT the finals MVP of his 1981 championship. That was Cedric Maxwell. Therefore, Kobe 2 finals MVP, Bird 2 finals MVP.
2. Bird's coach for 1984 and 1986 championships was one of the best coaches in NBA history, K.C. Jones, who actually beat Riley in 84.
3. Kobe's playoff scoring average for the 3 Shaq teams was 21, 29, and 27. Shaq's was 30, 30, and 28. Yes, Shaq was the leader, but Kobe was obviously not just a Scottie Pippen because their point totals are almost the same. They were co-captains.

I still say that without Shaq, Kobe would have 3 titles at the most and now that Phil Jackson is retired for good his chances for getting another title is pretty much zero.

RINGS should NOT be your most important factor. I agree it is A factor but not the most important.

You listed them by the amount of rings they have won.

Ability to lead and motivate a team when the team is down should be a priority. Being able to inspire your bench to step it up when your having a bad day. Being able to make the winning play when it counts the most.

other factors:

- shooting stats (percentage, numberof points, how many leading the league in year)

- defense stats

- over all other career stats and records.

etc...

Cobretti2 said:

RINGS should NOT be your most important factor. I agree it is A factor but not the most important.

Ability to lead and motivate a team when the team is down should be a priority. Being able to inspire your bench to step it up when your having a bad day. Being able to make the winning play when it counts the most.

other factors:

- shooting stats (percentage, numberof points, how many leading the league in year)

- defense stats

etc...

that's exactly what this list is about. leading a team to a championship. did you read the top part?

1. shooting stats? points? what is all this for if you can't win a championship? wilt chamberlain went from 50 points per game to instead leading his team in assists in order to fulfill his dream of getting a ring. everything is about championships. points only fill up a piece of paper. if you can't win, your 100 points in 1 game is worth nothing.

2. defense is made by a team, not by an individual. in the end, it boils down to winning. if your defense is good but you can't win, then it's also worth nothing.

3. stats and records? what's the point of your triple double average if you can't win? same argument.

you have to understand that numbers are Shit. they mean nothing without the validation of a championship ring. ask kevin garnett, ray allen, karl malone, gary payton, lebron james, chris bosh, carmelo anthony, allen iverson, and all other "high stats" players who decided to downgrade their pay in order to join a strong team. they decided that all their numbers didn't mean a damn thing without a ring and so they allowed themselves to be no longer the leader of their team just to get a title.

your argument is extremely narrow-minded. you have to see the big picture. yeah a player can average all the numbers in the world, but without a ring, he's not remembered in history. if michael jordan never won those rings, he would never be considered the best player in the world by many. only winners are remembered.

bugrimmar said:
Cobretti2 said:

other factors:

- defense stats

etc...

that's exactly what this list is about. leading a team to a championship. did you read the top part?

1. shooting stats? points? what is all this for if you can't win a championship? wilt chamberlain went from 50 points per game to instead leading his team in assists in order to fulfill his dream of getting a ring. everything is about championships. points only fill up a piece of paper. if you can't win, your 100 points in 1 game is worth nothing.

2. defense is made by a team, not by an individual. in the end, it boils down to winning. if your defense is good but you can't win, then it's also worth nothing.

3. stats and records? what's the point of your triple double average if you can't win? same argument.

you have to understand that numbers are Shit. they mean nothing without the validation of a championship ring. ask kevin garnett, ray allen, karl malone, gary payton, lebron james, chris bosh, carmelo anthony, allen iverson, and all other "high stats" players who decided to downgrade their pay in order to join a strong team. they decided that all their numbers didn't mean a damn thing without a ring and so they allowed themselves to be no longer the leader of their team just to get a title.

your argument is extremely narrow-minded. you have to see the big picture. yeah a player can average all the numbers in the world, but without a ring, he's not remembered in history. if michael jordan never won those rings, he would never be considered the best player in the world by many. only winners are remembered.

If that's true then John Havilicek - 8 Rings 1 final MVP should be on this list no season MVP's but like you said "numbers are Shit. Could make an argument for Bob Cousy too (6 Rings 1 NBA MVP).

Anyone who's breaking the law is obvious a criminal.