By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will the Wii U Controller Cost?

How Much Will the Wii U Controller Cost?

Over $100 26 20.80%

$99.99 37 29.60%

$89.99 11 8.80%

$79.99 26 20.80%

$69.99 or less 25 20.00%

Total:125

100$.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
gumby_trucker said:
HappySqurriel said:
gumby_trucker said:
If the original Wiimote cost $10 to manufacture in 2006, and was sold at $40, I just really hate Nintendo for not going with motion-plus from day one. Greedy bastards.

Just think about how little the $50 PS3 and XBox 360 controllers cost to manufacture ...

I don't think it's the same... My point was actually based on something that has been discussed in earlier threads about Wii. If it had motion-plus from day one, chances are we would have seen more games that fulfilled its initial promise, and possibly some better support, too. Things would have looked very differently for Wii gamers if that happened...

thank you, i thought i was the only person in the world who thought this, i cant even add anything, this just sums up my feelings on motion+

you're most welcome

In fact I'm pretty sure most Wii owners are in agreement on this, especially considering how Wii would have easily sold for a higher price for the first two years...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

gumby_trucker said:
oniyide said:
gumby_trucker said:
HappySqurriel said:
gumby_trucker said:
If the original Wiimote cost $10 to manufacture in 2006, and was sold at $40, I just really hate Nintendo for not going with motion-plus from day one. Greedy bastards.

Just think about how little the $50 PS3 and XBox 360 controllers cost to manufacture ...

I don't think it's the same... My point was actually based on something that has been discussed in earlier threads about Wii. If it had motion-plus from day one, chances are we would have seen more games that fulfilled its initial promise, and possibly some better support, too. Things would have looked very differently for Wii gamers if that happened...

thank you, i thought i was the only person in the world who thought this, i cant even add anything, this just sums up my feelings on motion+

you're most welcome

In fact I'm pretty sure most Wii owners are in agreement on this, especially considering how Wii would have easily sold for a higher price for the first two years...

yeah but you have the damn weirdos who swear that it would have been to expensive to do back then and that the technology did not exist, like adding an extra gyro would have bumped up the cost that much, damn apologists 

Voted for $99.99 but wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

oniyide said:

yeah but you have the damn weirdos who swear that it would have been to expensive to do back then and that the technology did not exist, like adding an extra gyro would have bumped up the cost that much, damn apologists 

The reality is that we really don't know what the Wiimote cost to manufacture, or what the cost of adding motion plus would have been; and we don't know how that increased cost would translate at retail ...

Consider that accessories are high margin products for retailers to compensate for consoles being sold at cost; I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the retailer received 50% or more of the purchase price of an accessory. On top of this, there are countless costs that are never considered by people when they make claims on what an accessory or system costs, so the manufacturers margin on these products also remain high to cover these costs associated with selling a system; and I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer margin on an accessory was 50% or more of what they sell it to retailers for.

So we have

manufacturer margin = cost of manufacturing
retailer margin = (cost of manufacturing) + (manufacturer margin)
price of controller = (cost of manufacturing) + (manufacturer margin) + (retailer margin)
price of controller = 4 * (cost of manufacturing)

Hypothetically speaking, if adding motion plus increased the cost to manufacture by $5 it would translate into a $20 increase at retail in order to maintain everyone's margin.

My initial point that was completely missed is that the Wiimote (probably) cost as much or more to manufacture than the XBox 360 or PS3 controller did and yet people call Nintendo "greedy" for selling it for less than either other controller.

Around the Network

My guess is about 80$.
Normal controllers cost already 50$ today, so in my opinion an added 30$ for the screen may be about right.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:

The reality is that we really don't know what the Wiimote cost to manufacture, or what the cost of adding motion plus would have been; and we don't know how that increased cost would translate at retail ...

Consider that accessories are high margin products for retailers to compensate for consoles being sold at cost; I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the retailer received 50% or more of the purchase price of an accessory. On top of this, there are countless costs that are never considered by people when they make claims on what an accessory or system costs, so the manufacturers margin on these products also remain high to cover these costs associated with selling a system; and I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer margin on an accessory was 50% or more of what they sell it to retailers for.

So we have

manufacturer margin = cost of manufacturing
retailer margin = (cost of manufacturing) + (manufacturer margin)
price of controller = (cost of manufacturing) + (manufacturer margin) + (retailer margin)
price of controller = 4 * (cost of manufacturing)

Hypothetically speaking, if adding motion plus increased the cost to manufacture by $5 it would translate into a $20 increase at retail in order to maintain everyone's margin.

My initial point that was completely missed is that the Wiimote (probably) cost as much or more to manufacture than the XBox 360 or PS3 controller did and yet people call Nintendo "greedy" for selling it for less than either other controller.

fair enough, im not one of those guys who think Ninty was greedy. As for your scenario 20 dollar increase is not that much, i would have spent the 20 extra to have a motion controller that actually works well from day 1

HappySqurriel said:

They are still the ones making insane profits from day one as far as the console itself is concerned, and the same is true for 3DS, all the while Sony and MS were losing money selling more sophisticated hardware for a low price, which not only forces them to add a markup on accessories, but also to invest heavily in developing amazing games just in order to make up for their losses. If you prefer, we can say Nintendo are Frugal and have a keen business sense, rather than call them Greedy.

Frugal, Business Savvy Bastards.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

If they sell the 3DS for 250$ then they probably will overprice the Wii U controller aswell so I go for more than 99$