By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is your honest opinion on the Forza Franchise? Compeditor to GT?

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jay520 said:
LOL, why did you bring this thread back to life?

Because GT5's graphics blow Forza out of the water.

Graphics? thats about the ONLY thing GT5 excells over Forza. The gap is small actually, especially with forza 4.

but overall, if release frequency and scores are anything to go by.....GT has clearly been knocked out of being the best of what it does

Dissecting the actual words of reviewers, they don't seem to agree.

And despite it's 84 Meta score, most in the industry would tell you that Forza isn't on GT's level (the same way Resistance nor Killzone are on Halo's level).

your right....its clearly below it.

While industry experts say GT has a arguably better sim aspect......almost everybody agrees that Forza is the better overall package. This is after all.........video games, and Turn 10 simply makes a better video game.

Better customization, better online modes, menus, music, track detail, more "premium cars" then GT5s 200. 

If Forza 4 is any indication, this trend is going to stay the same. 

Overall.......when Forza keeps coming out every 2 years with a 90+ metascore while GT5 takes 5 years and ships with 800 ps2 cars and gets a 84 for being sloppy on the video game side of things........well enough said.

GT5 is honestly its own worst enemy. Takes too long per release and isnt even a AAA franchise anymore 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jay520 said:

Graphics? thats about the ONLY thing GT5 excells over Forza. The gap is small actually, especially with forza 4.

but overall, if release frequency and scores are anything to go by.....GT has clearly been knocked out of being the best of what it does

And despite it's 84 Meta score, most in the industry would tell you that Forza isn't on GT's level (the same way Resistance nor Killzone are on Halo's level).

Not exactly a fair comparison when only one game out of those two Sony series' mentioned have been on "Halo's level" (if talking main iterations of Halo) : Killzone 2 with a 91 meta.

That's precisely my point, neither franchise is on Halo's level, regardless of Meta scores. That's the same situation with Forza and GT, but flipped.

I'm just trying to point out your point is seems moot anyway.  Whether either of those series are on or above Halo's level is subjective to the gamer playing those games. 

I don't see how you can have "Meta score" and "most of the industry" in the sentence contradicting each other.  With the two this-gen Forza games receiving a 90, 92 average on metacritic and the none of the GT's released this gen getting above an 84 meta, you'll have to define what you mean by "GT's level".  With numbers like that, you'll really need to pull some quotes in order to prove most of the industry's stance on the recent releases in the GT series.  If anything, I see Dirt and Forza mentioned more, as of late.

Well, that last sentence is a little contradictory (hard to argue against anecdote when you present some yourself)

Regardless, my view is simple (which I don't know if you've been reading, but I said this ages ago); Forza doesn't have the industry image that GT does. Not the same expectations, brand name, selling power (again, complimenting my point regarding Halo vs Killzone - or even better: CoD vs any other FPS on the market). I didn't say that can't ever change, but that's not how things are right now. If we use "the numbers", the reviewers themselves say GT is still better at what it seeks to do; be the industry's leading driving simulator for consoles, despite Forza being the better "modern racing game". We can even use your stance, I guess Uncharted has now surpassed Gears (in the eyes of "the numbers"), correct? Hell, Halo 3 must be better than Halo: Reach, as the numbers prove that, right? In fact, in Halo: Reach's case, many of the reviews that call it better than Halo 3 still graded it lower. I know, the situations are a little different, but are key when judging reviewers (especially as of late).

In the end, I just don't think these Meta scores are enough to guarantee a sure-fire shift in market position. Yes, Forza has scored higher than the most recent GT titles (and I can see why in many areas), but what difference has that made? Listening to actual driving/racing enthusiasts tells you where GT stands in the industry and it doesn't seem like Metacritic has impacted that stance in any substantial way.

So your saying Forza doesnt have the sales of the GT series yet. Granted but every Forza sells more then the last, bundles or not while GT5 seems to be on the decline more or less with the series track record. 

Just saying though....that being the better sim doesnt mean much when its lacking in being a video game......cause thats what it is no matter how you slice it.

Its a driving simulator video game.

Now Forza succeeds in being a great (maybe not the best) sim but also a excellent video game. Add to that it comes out every 2 years vs 5 years for GT5. 

With uncharted and gears, Halo 3 vs Reach..........your comparing games all in their 90's on metacritic. lol it doesnt matter what they are so long as they are above 90. GT5 vs forza however is another story as one is AA where as one is AAA. A much better basis to say one is clearly above the other. 

Its overall the poor time span in between releases thats hurting GT the most. 5 years per game while Turn 10 keeps cranking out new 90+ forzas every 2 years. Eventually the fans are gonna get tired of waiting when theres a perfectly overall better package on the 360 that doesnt keep their fans waiting for great sims with boring video game aspects. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I'm not a fan of racing sims, but GT5 had a nice charm about it. The music, the menus, the graphics, it was definitely a good few months playing that game with my friends.

...But, it felt incomplete, it felt like 1 years work, but it wasn't, it was 6 years work. GT5 was a disappointment on so many levels. When I get round to trying Forza 3 or Forza 4, I honestly think I'm going to prefer it.

both different styles of games thus diffucult to make direct comparison.

i feel gt5 handling is better and theres simply so much to do in gt5 the game is packed, 3 months non stop i played gt5.

when i got hold of forza 3 i think ive only done 2 seasons and given up, i thought it was boring just going through a season which really should stay in arcade games like pgr4, no sence of accomplishment as you just recieve all the cars as you play. compare that to forza 2 it was the old school traditional way of grinding your levels to get better cars etc forza 3 with forza 2 campain would have been excellent.

also to note is lack of game content in forza 3, you have time trial, season mode, paint shop and online modes thats all

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

selnor said:
dsage01 said:

Okay not even close. GT5 is better by a long shot. It 's more real, fun graphics are better and the gameplay is too. The PS3 controller is made for TPS, Fighting games and racing games. It's like comparing a used car to a new car. Which one would you take if they were both the same price?

Even long fans seem to disagree on here.

Gt5 is monotenous, awkward and unfinished. The worst game in the series. And the worst reviewed. In fact every iteration of forza has beaten its opposing gt game in reviews. I'm willing to bet. Gt5 lost polyphony some fans after the disappointment u read on the web and in reviews.

have you not realised gt5 has been massivly updated

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jay520 said:

Not exactly a fair comparison when only one game out of those two Sony series' mentioned have been on "Halo's level" (if talking main iterations of Halo) : Killzone 2 with a 91 meta.

Metascore doesn't really mean shit. 84 was moslty due to continues delay's.

CGI-Quality said:
dsage01 said:

Okay not even close. GT5 is better by a long shot. It 's more real, fun graphics are better and the gameplay is too. The PS3 controller is made for TPS, Fighting games and racing games. It's like comparing a used car to a new car. Which one would you take if they were both the same price?

As far as sim racing, yes, I think GT is by far the better franchise (thus GT5 is the better sim). On the other hand, as a game [overall], that's where things start to become much more even on the playing field (with Forza actually topping GT in certain aspects).

And the same way how Killzone tops Halo in a lot of aspects. (Graphics, melee, better voice acting, more realisitc, weapons e.t.c.) but does that make it a better game than Halo? Halo has a much better story, more remembeale characters and mch better online e.t.c. So Forza 3 may be able to beat GT in one or two aspects but hardly any. I bought Forza 3 only because it got a 92 meta. People said it was something original and different. But it was just a fail copy GT 5 prolgue! Within a few days I threw the game in the trash (first game ever to that). The AI were dumb the online sucked, graphics weren't good at ALL! It felt more like GT made for 6 year old kids. To be honest Forza 3 is the worst game I hve ever bought. I was lucky enough not to buy the steering wheel or I would have got even more pissed.

Skeeuk said:
selnor said:
dsage01 said:

Even long fans seem to disagree on here.

Gt5 is monotenous, awkward and unfinished. The worst game in the series. And the worst reviewed. In fact every iteration of forza has beaten its opposing gt game in reviews. I'm willing to bet. Gt5 lost polyphony some fans after the disappointment u read on the web and in reviews.

have you not realised gt5 has been massivly updated

There are still plenty of people playing GT5 so calm down. And you look like your lost somewhere in Novemeber. When fans were complaing about the ONLINE being laggy and unfinshed. And that was due to not allowing more than 500k people online at once. The issue soon got fixed. Now it runs pretty darn fast.

Jazz2K said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
its all about the racing and if the cars don't fill as realistic as they should then its not the sim for you.

Some people like the whole package not just the racing. It's fun to look at cars and get info on them, it's fun to tune them and paint them. F4 adds so much content to the franchise I feel like some one said that GT5 feels like a lacking video game. Even if the cars are photo realistic, once you got used to the graphics then except for doing endless events there's not much to do. 

agreed

dsage01 said:
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Jay520 said:

Metascore doesn't really mean shit. 84 was moslty due to continues delay's.

CGI

experiance is all that matters. was it a good game, was it fun, was it worth the 59.99 pluse tax you paid for it?

Resistance in my opinion is better then Halo, but thats just prefrence. scores only mean how much more the person/people reveiwing the game enjoyed it. you chose your own experiances, and those experiances are opinions based on that experiance.

im just glad you didn't state a fact saying Halo is better then the other KZ and Resistance cause most facts are objective opinions.