By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Storytelling in Ninty games

Nintendo doesn't like to focus too much on the storyline, because the storyline doesn't sell the game, the gameplay does.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network
mysticwolf said:
Nintendo doesn't like to focus too much on the storyline, because the storyline doesn't sell the game, the gameplay does.

Nuff said.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TomaTito said:

One of my biggest problem with story is it's static/linear nature, after you've played it I have less incentive to play it again. Sure you can find a few examples where this isn't true, due to an excellent development, interactive story or nostalgia. Truth is there are times when I'm reading dialogs from the game or watching an introduction I feel like I'm wasting time, I see the story as an obstacle to the gameplay (which is what gaming is about).

And what's even worse isn't story but the damn tutorials stages or control dialogs... argh. Put that damn data in the manual, we aren't reading those anymore because you put it in the game.

I agree with this. Some games, such as Twilight Princess, just feel like they are thrown completely out of whack due to the addition of tutorial stages or introductions to the controls. In the case of that game, we know this was something that was added late in development in order to help familiarize players with the new wiimote controls, and that's also probably why it feels so out of place in the game.

Many Nintendo games (Mario platformers especially) do a fantastic job of introducing you to the gameplay in a way that perfectly integrated into the experience. You learn as you go along, and the whole thing flows naturally. But this is something you really have to take into consideration at an early point during development or else you don't end up with a homogeneous experience. If you are going to add an interactive tutorial late in development, you are better off having it as a separate section of the game, like they did for the VC release of Sin & Punishment. It gets the player up to speed but not at the expense of the main event.

I think the same goes for story, mostly. If it's not an integral part of the experience you are better off sticking a screen at the beginning which says:
"In the year 2112 the earth has been invaded by evil forces.
Journey to neighboring sectors destroying invaders.
You are Mach Rider!" LOL
There's nothing wrong with admitting a certain aspect of the experience adds nothing to it and relegating it to the side in order to focus on what's important.
And if it is an integral part of the experience then it probably deserves more than a few lengthy cut-scenes that break the flow and immersion of the game. This is akin to pausing the game to tell you about the controls, as TomaTito already said. It's ok when done in small doses to add clarity but other than that should be avoided whenever possible.

The thing about Other M in particular is it feels like Nintendo thought it was really important for the continuation of the franchise to fill in these "gaps" in Samus' character. Unless they had very specific ideas in mind for the next games in the series, I am yet to understand why this move was so important at this stage... then again I haven't played Fusion so maybe it holds the answers that I seek...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

For me it usually HAS to be in the game otherwise i won't finish it. It doesnt have to be an amazing story, just one where i care enough about the characters. If it does not have a story, it has to have a multiplayer competitive aspect to it. Ill play any game, but i just lose interest to those that dont have anything.

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

The thing about Other M in particular is it feels like Nintendo thought it was really important for the continuation of the franchise to fill in these "gaps" in Samus' character. Unless they had very specific ideas in mind for the next games in the series, I am yet to understand why this move was so important at this stage... then again I haven't played Fusion so maybe it holds the answers that I seek...

The problem is more that the continuation of Metroid is pretty much at a dead point thanks to Fusion. I wouldn't be surprised if we never got Metroid 5, because Samus is forced to continue looking unfamiliar. It isn't much of a spoiler (this is what happens in the intro of Fusion), if I tell you that Samus suffers from an infection and in order to save her life, scientists have to remove large parts of her suit while the rest is melted to her body or something like that. The result is that her appearance changes greatly and I am not sure if Nintendo would continue the series with a character who doesn't look much like her popular self. I suppose that's why they rather went into the direction to flesh out Samus Aran's character, because that can be done by inserting games into the already existing timeline.

But they could have just as easily inserted games into the time-line without exploring Samus' character, like in the Prime games. Maybe their "plan" (not that I'm sure they actually have one for this franchise) with Other M was to introduce Samus as a character instead of a suit, precisely in order to facilitate this transition to a new look in games following fusion. Had the personality they created in Other M been well-received, they could have gone on to make a game in which Samus has the same personality but only a different look, thus preserving continuity in the eyes of the audience.

Then again it's just as likely (if not more so ) they are just doing whatever they want with the franchise. I mean it's not like they have a clue what to do with StarFox or F-Zero for that matter.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

Tagged for later. Gonna read all the responses later.

Read books, not just manga weeaboos, Books.

as far as metroid even goes, they could always just write off what happened or say samus got clones or anything to just do away with anything that would lock up the story. they can also just put a little blurb in the manual and have the next game be a classic style metroid where samus gets a distress call and explores a new planet. they are hardly constrained by the events of fusion because they are nintendo, write if off as if it never happened and follow up with an awesome new game.

the one thing that really pisses me off is this gen nintendo has just shown glimmers of how awesome they can make their franchises. nsmb wii is the best realization of all the new things they can do with, imo, good motion control involvement, great gameplay with fun powers, enough processing power for lots of enemies on screen, which i love, and enough power to artistically represent the levels without being restricted. i just got to the part in other m where you go through the bridge and see the two dinosaur looking things, and those parts where youre not being told what to do explicitly and you can just play are really fun. its just wrapped up in a terrible plot that breaks the flow of the game too many times.

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

TripleMMM said:
mysticwolf said:

Nuff said.

Not really a good reason to completely ignore an important aspect of a game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
TripleMMM said:
mysticwolf said:

Nuff said.

Not really a good reason to completely ignore an important aspect of a game.

but the thing is, story really isnt an important aspect of the game. its game, not a book, gameplay is king while story is really unnecessary, especially for nintendo titles

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.