By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platformers are the best genre of games out there!

imo, i think platformers are the best! shooters are second. fighting is 3rd. racing is 4. everything else is later. think of all the famous platformers: the marios the ratchet and clanks the jak and daxters the crash bandicoots the banjo kazooies and more! platformers imo are better than rpgs! (except for final fantasy!) brain training is a little down the line for me. what's your thoughts?

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

It used to be a flooded genre. Now only one game is playable: Mario.

there needs to be more platformers! (bring back jak and daxter for the ps3)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

True Genius

bring banjo kazooie for 360 now rare!

True Genius
mr-money said:
It used to be a flooded genre. Now only one game is playable: Mario.

Played the new ratchet and clank? its pretty damn good :)

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

Sonic the hedgehog, please sega make it good again.
Also has anybody ever played "Pop 'n' twinbee: rainbow adventure", that is one f my favorate platformers ever

i think i don't like platformers as much as i used to. cuz while mario galaxy was amazing and a lot of fun and is easily the best platformer ever and even while playing i was thinking about how brilliantly it was designed, i still felt like it wasn't as fun as top games in other genres i've been playing the past few years.

my favorite genres are rpgs, action games both shooters and other types, and action/adventure (like zelda and shadow of the colossus).

least favorite would be 3D fighters, racing, and mini-games. the only exceptions to these categories are smash bros cuz it plays 2D, nintendo racing games and burnout 3. probably the only minigame i like is fuzion frenzy but that was pretty much only because of twisted system.

all that said, platformers should make a return though. especially sonic in smash bros-style 3d graphics/2d gameplay.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Platforming has been going through the doldrums lately. The push towards increasingly "mature" content (read: games where people shoot each other) has led to many developers moving resources away from platformer development. Just look at the staggering decline in the quality of the Sonic franchise, for instance. It doesn't help either that Mario has systematically buried anyone who has had the gumption to try and wrestle the platforming crown away from him. It's not that I don't love Mario, and it's not that I don't think Mario has consistently redefined what platforming is, but his dominance has made it so difficult for other platformers to survive without looking like rip-offs. That said, Mario's quality and intimidating sales power should not be used by other developers as an execuse to pull back on platformer development - rather it should be seen as an example to aspire to. Hopefully Mario Galaxy encourages a few other platformers to pop up. I love the genre and I miss the old days back on the SNES when were absolutely spoiled for choice.

daactualfact said:
imo, i think platformers are the best! shooters are second. fighting is 3rd. racing is 4. everything else is later.

think of all the famous platformers:
the marios
the ratchet and clanks
the jak and daxters
the crash bandicoots
the banjo kazooies
and more!

platformers imo are better than rpgs! (except for final fantasy!)
brain training is a little down the line for me.

what's your thoughts?

Shame shame, you forgot Metroid.

LG[Infinite] said:
Platforming has been going through the doldrums lately. The push towards increasingly "mature" content (read: games where people shoot each other) has led to many developers moving resources away from platformer development. Just look at the staggering decline in the quality of the Sonic franchise, for instance. It doesn't help either that Mario has systematically buried anyone who has had the gumption to try and wrestle the platforming crown away from him. It's not that I don't love Mario, and it's not that I don't think Mario has consistently redefined what platforming is, but his dominance has made it so difficult for other platformers to survive without looking like rip-offs. That said, Mario's quality and intimidating sales power should not be used by other developers as an execuse to pull back on platformer development - rather it should be seen as an example to aspire to. Hopefully Mario Galaxy encourages a few other platformers to pop up. I love the genre and I miss the old days back on the SNES when were absolutely spoiled for choice.

Remember the original J & D, that was very well received and really run to play, despite having very little violence. As much as I love Uncharted, the whole of the second half of the game was very dark, and I want something that is really fun to play. I hope proper platformers return, although I am concerned that apart from mario, it is basically becoming a forgotten genre. Crash is no longer ND, Sucker Punch have left Sly for inFamous, which should still have some platforming in it. But for me (being a life long PS owner) there is onlt one champion. Comon Naughty Dog, bring back J & D!