By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bad Idea To Buy A PS3 late 2011/early-mid 2012?

Hey,

I'm new here. Hope to have good meaningful discussions here. Before anything else I wanted to know something.
I'm finaly in the position to start saving for a console. And if I estimated properly, I'd have enough for a PS3 and a game by the end of 2011 or somewhere before Q3 of 2012.
But seeing as the Wii U just came out, some sources have revealed that it might not be so long until a next generation PlayStation shows up. In that case, I would quite probably buy a PS3 just when the newest installment of the PS came out.
So my question is, do you think it's wise to get a PS3 in the specified time or should I just continue saving and wait for the next generation console to be released? And why?

Around the Network

Hey, and welcome.  The Next Generation PS is coming, at earliest, mid 2013. The thing is a Console gets normaly announced almost a Year before it launches, at the WiiU itself isnt out, they just announced it. (Its coming mid-end 2012)

I'd say its worth getting a PS3 late 2011, if you buy it later (after Sept. 18th) you might even be lucky and see a Pricecut of the System, they 'may' announce one on Gamescom (August) or TGS (15-18th sept.), and if not, just get it as planned.

thats of course just my opinion. =)

edit; If you wait until Q3/12, which is more than a Year off, youre also able to check out more of the information to be revealed about the WiiU until then. But be aware that this Console surely wont be nearly as Strong as Microsofts/Sonys Consoles, when they arrive '13/'14.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Welcome to VGChartz

The Wii U wasn't released, just announced, and there won't be a PS4 anytime soon, so no, it itsn't a bad idea to get a PS3 in 2011 or 2012.

You should probably hold off your purchases til Gamescom or TGS. Plus you need to wait for the game price for WiiU games(was it announced already?) and add to that games ported from PS360 to WiiU would be more expensive than the games in PS360 being discounted already.

i'd say this, start saving now. once you have enough money to make the purchase you'll have a much better idea of what to buy. by Q3 of next year either the ps4 will be announced or you'll know it isn't coming for at least another year.

also, if saving money for a ps3 takes you that long i'm going to assume you are going to also be money conscience when it comes to playing games. as such, ps3 will have tons of budget games while the ps4 is likely to both be much more expensive than the ps3 as will the games.

Around the Network

yeah. the 2 ppl above me are actually right, if money is an Issue, the PS3 will be a better choice than the WiiU. All of those games will launch for at lowest, 60 Bucks, while PS3 (and 360) have a Huge Library of Awesome Games below 25$. (WiiU games will get cheaper eventually, but not in the first year after launch)

i stay to kitler on that one, if you inform yourself properly about everything, youll know what you want, once you have the money.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

If you ask me, you are doing a great purchase. You get the Blu Ray, you get arguably the best library this generation, lots of cheap games out there.
I can understand why you would rather wait for Wii U. It is really going to be something else. But in the mean time and until it takes off you might be great playing some great games on a brand new PS3.

Wii U will be out late 2012, and I wouldn't expect any other consoles before late 2014.

Get the PS3, it's a great console with a ton of games that you can play right now. Everything else is just speculation.

Given it's extensive library and product offering buying a PS3 is never a bad choice. Do not wait for a PS4 as the first year there will not be many games for it anyways. There are hundreds of good games for the PS3 so I reccomend starting as early as you can haha.
If you get it let me know and we can play online. Cheers.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Go for it. Like Machina says, this Fall a PS3 will cost $249 probably.