By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Gold Cup: Who will win?

Who will win?

Mexico 20 90.91%

United States 2 9.09%

Honduras 0 0%

other 0 0%

Total:22
okr said:
Maynard_Tool said:
dany612 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
They lost 5 players, but I believe is just a strategy so those 5 players can play in the Copa America, which has stronger teams (Brazil, Argentina, Chile...)

The only game that matters in this cup is the final, and everyone expects to be USA vs Mexico at then end; I hope Mexico can Win it this time....

Didn't Mexico win last time?

Yeah but here's the thing... there's a gold cup every 2 years, but only one of them is important; the one after the world cup (this one) because if you win it, it gives you a ticket for the Confederation cup, where all the champions of every zone plays.

2007 gold cup was won by the US and they attended the Confederation cup in 2009, where they eliminated Spain (Europe's Champions) but were defeated in the final by Brazil (south america's champion).

Then we have the other Gold cup, that only gives you a trophy for winning.... that's the case for Mexico's 2009 gold cup. So I rather them win this one and lose the one in 2 years....

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

Isn't the Gold Cup the equivalent to Uefa EURO, Copa América, African Cup, AFC Asian Cup and OFC Nations Cup? If so, all Gold Cup titles are of course equivalent important.

The Confederations Cup, on the other hand, is the unimportant tournament which is only a dress rehearsal for the upcoming world cups. No one cares about it.

Well, I do think it's more important this Gold Cup, because it gives a ticket to the Confederations Cup...

Plus the USA and mexican national teams only play this one wit their best team... they send an alternative team to the other cup

Around the Network
okr said:
Maynard_Tool said:
dany612 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
They lost 5 players, but I believe is just a strategy so those 5 players can play in the Copa America, which has stronger teams (Brazil, Argentina, Chile...)

The only game that matters in this cup is the final, and everyone expects to be USA vs Mexico at then end; I hope Mexico can Win it this time....

Yeah but here's the thing... there's a gold cup every 2 years, but only one of them is important; the one after the world cup (this one) because if you win it, it gives you a ticket for the Confederation cup, where all the champions of every zone plays.

2007 gold cup was won by the US and they attended the Confederation cup in 2009, where they eliminated Spain (Europe's Champions) but were defeated in the final by Brazil (south america's champion).

Then we have the other Gold cup, that only gives you a trophy for winning.... that's the case for Mexico's 2009 gold cup. So I rather them win this one and lose the one in 2 years....

Isn't the Gold Cup the equivalent to Uefa EURO, Copa América, African Cup, AFC Asian Cup and OFC Nations Cup? If so, all Gold Cup titles are of course equivalent important.

The Confederations Cup, on the other hand, is the unimportant tournament which is only a dress rehearsal for the upcoming world cups. No one cares about it.

Well... when you see the teams that play in the gold cup, you realize how unimportant really is in terms of quality. At the end, everyone expects the final to be Mexico vs USA.... all gold cups are equivalent to the point of being the zone cup, but only half of them gives you a ticket to a real [quality] competition. You might not care about the confederation cup, but when you see the type of rivals you have there, it's a more interesting cup than the gold cup.

And just to give you an idea, the extra gold cup that is played, (it's the only "zone" cup that gets played 2 times in 4 years) like the one in 2009, Mexico and the US sent their B/C teams to the cup... and still, the final was US vs Mexico......

skeezer said:
okr said:
Maynard_Tool said:
dany612 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

The difference between the Gold Cup and the others is that while the others are played every 4 years the Gold cup is played every 2 years. Because of that, only one of the Gold Cups [out of 2] gives you a ticket to the Confederations Cup [since its also played every 4 years]. The whole thing is a scheme to make more money because there is really no competition here, it's either Mexico or US. And I dont understand why all of the Gold Cups are played in the US and not in the other countries. [Probably to make even more money]

-The one that gives you the ticket to the Confederations is always the one played immediately after the last World Cup, 2 years later there is another one that gives you basically nothing.

-This is only the current situation given that the Gold Cup guidelines have been changed so often.

Bazinga! Is not the same to make dollars than pesos (type any currency of Central America here)

okr said:
Maynard_Tool said:
dany612 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

and I thought it only serves to test some stadiums before the world cup starts. But hey your theory also makes sense :D

Overall yeah it's a nice little friendly tournament where you get a cup at the end, but it doesn't really have a strong influence on anything or anyone.
I mean there are also a few pre season club tournaments with a better line-up than the Europa League.
Audi Cup for example: Barca, Bayern, AC Milan and Internacional
But that doesn't mean that it's more important than the Europa League.

whoever wins.. nobody will care because its soccer and hockey is over

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
Laurel Aitken said:
okr said:
Maynard_Tool said:
dany612 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Well, I do think it's more important this Gold Cup, because it gives a ticket to the Confederations Cup...

Plus the USA and mexican national teams only play this one wit their best team... they send an alternative team to the other cup

What do you mean by that?

leatherhat said:

whoever wins.. nobody will care because its soccer and hockey is over

You mean futbol? and What's hockey?

Mexico will win. 

Try Gamefly for a month and get another one free!

http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/406vc

dany612 said:
Laurel Aitken said:

What do you mean by that?

He means that, Mexico is being forced to send an alternative team to the Copa America due to Cocacaf's greedy needs. They will make a fool of themselves with the Sub-21 team they are sending to the Copa America.

^_^