By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ideas for improving Wii U's controller

Let's be realistic and say what could Nintendo do to improve Wii U's controller:

Me first:

- Clickable thumbsticks: we've had them since more than ten years, there's no excuse not to have them.

- Multitouch screen: I don't know why the screen is not multitouch, but it's obvious it would improve Wii U's gaming by a lot!

- 3D screen: just like 3DS, the technology is already there, but since the controller has a touchscreen, the player's hand would get in the way wich brings us to...

- Touchpad on the back: just like the PSVita, this would be parfect for 3D games and would open a lot more gaming possibilities.

- Camera on the back: I have a few ideas on how or why it would be great, also it doesn't cost too much to implement.

Any other ideas?

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:

Let's be realistic and say what could Nintendo do to improve Wii U's controller:

Me first:

- Clickable thumbsticks: we've had them since more than ten years, there's no excuse not to have them.

Yes, we need this

- Multitouch screen: I don't know why the screen is not multitouch, but it's obvious it would improve Wii U's gaming by a lot!

We also need this.

- 3D screen: just like 3DS, the technology is already there, but since the controller has a touchscreen, the player's hand would get in the way wich brings us to...

Don't need that, the battery for the controller is probably already not so great with the screen. 3D would make the battery even worse.

- Touchpad on the back: just like the PSVita, this would be parfect for 3D games and would open a lot more gaming possibilities.

What? Please explain.

- Camera on the back: I have a few ideas on how or why it would be great, also it doesn't cost too much to implement.

This is true.

Any other ideas?

No, not from me

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I could see the multi-touch screen but the rest is mostly unimportant and adding extra cost where it would not return high value.

However, with multi-touch you could ditch the stylus and have an experience users are already very comfortable with.

Other than that I'd like to see confirmation of up to 4 being used at once... but I think we'll get lucky to have 2 if at all.

I did like the 3D idea at once, but it would kill the batter as said above and it may be bad on a touch screen.... idk.

Not having used it yet, I really couldn't state any other refinements. Everything else seems to be there.

mysticwolf said:
lightbleeder said:

Me first:

Yes, we need this

We also need this.

Don't need that, the battery for the controller is probably already not so great with the screen. 3D would make the battery even worse.

What? Please explain.

This is true.

Any other ideas?

No, not from me

i agree with your views on the OP. 

... for other ideas. i'm not really sure what the vitality sensor can do for gaming but hell, why not throw that on there as well.  make it nice and comfortably on so it can measure whatever it measures while holding the controller in a normal way instead of that stupid finger clip previously shown.

Capacitive touch screens are far less accurate and not very ideal for most gaming situations. You can't use styluses with them either.

While resistive touch screens can't multitouch, they are far more accurate and useful in most gaming situations. You already have plenty of button inputs, why in the world do you need multitouch?

The only downside I see is no pinch-to-zoom, but I'm willing to give that up for a more accurate touch screen.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I could see the multi-touch screen but the rest is mostly unimportant and adding extra cost where it would not return high value.

How is not having clickable thumbsticks important.  I can't even think of a PS3/360 game that don't use them and all the buttons.  Lets take CoD for a moment, the analog sticks are used to run on the left stcik and knife or crouch on the right.   Would they now need to start adding standard buttons/actions to the touch screen.  You can say this won't be a big problem, but it will just slowdown games and response times.  Not only that but needing to use a massive screen just to get the buttons you need seems like a waste of bateries. 

And with the WiiU, are they getting rid of rumble now?

3D screen would really not work. With the 3DS it works because as a handheld you naturally hold it in the right zone. As a controller for a console I doubt you will be holding it as steadily in the zone when you're not looking at the screen, meaning you'd have to re-align yourself everytime you looked down. Would just be a pain.

@Tarheel. You can use a stylus on a capacative screen, it just needs to be conductive.

Rath said:

3D screen would really not work. With the 3DS it works because as a handheld you naturally hold it in the right zone. As a controller for a console I doubt you will be holding it as steadily in the zone when you're not looking at the screen, meaning you'd have to re-align yourself everytime you looked down. Would just be a pain.

@Tarheel. You can use a stylus on a capacative screen, it just needs to be conductive.

Not really the point.  The loss of accuracy is the main killer in regards to capacitive touch screens.  On a smartphone with no buttons and large icons, capacitive makes sense.  On a video game system with plenty of traditional inputs, an accurate resistive touch screen that can sense pressure differences is better.

To put it differently, you could not do MP: Hunters on a capacitive touch screen. 

tarheel91 said:
Rath said:

Not really the point.  The loss of accuracy is the main killer in regards to capacitive touch screens.  On a smartphone with no buttons and large icons, capacitive makes sense.  On a video game system with plenty of traditional inputs, an accurate resistive touch screen that can sense pressure differences is better.

To put it differently, you could not do MP: Hunters on a capacitive touch screen. 

OK so we still don't have the technology for accurate multitouch capable screens. But as far as I know the PSVita has one, we'll see how well it will work with multitouch games.

I kinda agree on the 3D being a pain, maybe when the technology improves and widens the angle where you could see the 3D effec then it would be great.

It's very important for the controller to have clickable thumbsticks, IT'S FREAKING NECESSARY!!!! So please Nintendo include them.

Also the touchpad on the back would be cool but I just don't see many developers taking advantage of it.

But the rear camera opens still more possibilities for gaming although some of you might find it unnecessary.

What I would like for Wii U's controller is it to be a regular controller (with the regular number of buttons, clickable thumbsticks and rumble) mixed with a PSVita (rear and front cameras, multitouch screen and a rear touchpad) and with the ability to display 3D.

Also I would like for the plus and minus buttons to be moved to each side of the screen so I could pause the game and access menus without having to unhold one side of the controller.

Griffin said:
superchunk said:

How is not having clickable thumbsticks important.  I can't even think of a PS3/360 game that don't use them and all the buttons.  Lets take CoD for a moment, the analog sticks are used to run on the left stcik and knife or crouch on the right.   Would they now need to start adding standard buttons/actions to the touch screen.  You can say this won't be a big problem, but it will just slowdown games and response times.  Not only that but needing to use a massive screen just to get the buttons you need seems like a waste of bateries. 

And with the WiiU, are they getting rid of rumble now?

CoD plays really well on Wii and it uses a completely different control screen without clickable sticks. Its just not important and will work just find without it. However, I do see that it would be a added value as it does give two extra button options.