By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official Playstation Vita Thread! The Last Stand - Ys VIII, Mary Skelter, Yomawari Midnight Shadows, Persona 3&5 Dancing, Atelier Lidy & Soeur, DanganRonpa V3, Demon Gaze II & MORE!

How many vita games do you have in your library?

0-10 184 31.51%

11-20 109 18.66%

21-30 69 11.82%

30+ 215 36.82%

Total:577
Aura7541 said:
Teflon02 said:

Lack of resources? smh, no. No ones asking for a multimillion dollar budget. Dubbing isn't that expensive. A person with no budget could release that game in better quality smh. They can even outsource the game, that's no excuse. People need to stop giving these companies excuses for pathetic acts. The fact is, IF it was dubbed, it would NEVER turn out a disgustingly bad translation like it did. Give as much excuses as you like, I know what I need to know. I'm not ignorant on the topic.

There's also the fact that Japanese and American/English-speaking voice actors are paid differently. Voice acting is a huge thing in Japan and seiyuus get paid through huge contracts and sponsors. In contrast, American voice actors usually get paid in a per hour process. This is the main reason why a lot of localized games don't have both subs and dubs. And yeah, I agree, a dubbed game will never have bad translations since the voice actors will catch those mistakes.

I'm struggling to believe any of you actually play Japanese video games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Well I did literally just platinum Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 a few hours ago sooo... I have over 200 hours in Persona 4 Golden soo... I have conception 2 sitting right beside me waiting to get a full playthrough soo... I've put over 40 hours into SAO Hollow Fragment as of now soo... My favourite game of all time is Dark Cloud 2 sooo... I have both the original versions of FFX on PS2 and the HD for Vita sooo... I platinum's Ys Celceta sooo... Platinum's Both Ragnarok Odyssey and ACE soo... I have Senran, Freedom Wars and Tales of Hearts R preordered lol soo... I can keep going, I'd probably be forced to cut down the msg if I kept going. My PSN is my username here go check it out. Because some people use logic before personal preference doesn't mean they don't know stuff. You're the only use using no real base argument. You just sound like a typical weeaboo right now, I'll probably be in trouble for saying that, but I'm not going to lie and it's not like I'm calling you one but yeah. Build a valid argument to debate, because what is being said isn't hard to understand unless you choose to block out the logic in it, being in denial defeats the purpose.

Teflon02 said:
Aura7541 said:
Teflon02 said:

Lack of resources? smh, no. No ones asking for a multimillion dollar budget. Dubbing isn't that expensive. A person with no budget could release that game in better quality smh. They can even outsource the game, that's no excuse. People need to stop giving these companies excuses for pathetic acts. The fact is, IF it was dubbed, it would NEVER turn out a disgustingly bad translation like it did. Give as much excuses as you like, I know what I need to know. I'm not ignorant on the topic.

There's also the fact that Japanese and American/English-speaking voice actors are paid differently. Voice acting is a huge thing in Japan and seiyuus get paid through huge contracts and sponsors. In contrast, American voice actors usually get paid in a per hour process. This is the main reason why a lot of localized games don't have both subs and dubs. And yeah, I agree, a dubbed game will never have bad translations since the voice actors will catch those mistakes.

Yup indeed, no argument with that. I was just trying to get the point across that you can say what you want about a dub but you'll never get a half assed product like SAO from a dub.

Dont say a dub is an absolute for all we know we it could have be terrible too. Im going to base my clam as there is no 100% margin of all dubs being decent to good. The best case is that Bamco learned from this experience and have a better locializtion release of SAO 3. That is if they're going to do it. So buy 2 copies of Hearts R!!!!

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
Teflon02 said:
Aura7541 said:
Teflon02 said:

Yup indeed, no argument with that. I was just trying to get the point across that you can say what you want about a dub but you'll never get a half assed product like SAO from a dub.

Dont say a dub is an absolute for all we know we it could have be terrible too. Im going to base my clam as there is no 100% margin of all dubs being decent to good. The best case is that Bamco learned from this experience and have a better locializtion release of SAO 3. That is if they're going to do it. So buy 2 copies of Hearts R!!!!

So do you think they're going to speak in completely broken sentences and mess up everything speaking from the wrong perspective etc if they're dubbing it? Even the worse dubs I've ever heard were far better quality than that horrible translation in SAO. Also, I won't buy 2 copies, they're lucky they have me buying 1 with no dub especially after that disgraceful act with SAO. I'm only buying because I like tales and will support physical releases whenever I can.
Note: I do play the game and like it, but fact is it's almost google translate bad.

nitekrawler1285 said:

Thank you ever so kindly. I adore the premise and think it might be fun despite reviews but it's always best to hear first hand accounts. 

So, I've played about 2-3 hours over the past couple of days and honestly... my opinion is pretty much formed by now.  I think I'm gonna trade it in tomorrow.

The game is just too gimmicky for my tastes, and not in a good way.  I was always aware I'd be buying a game filled with AR stuff, but I never thought it would be as frustrating as it actually is.

Basically, there's various different parts to the game.  I'll start with the bad - the non-card based AR stuff.  Holy shit, it's annoying.  To catch an Invizimal, you have to follow certain instructions based on stuff in the real world.  So for example, it might be making sounds that come out of your Vita's speakers which you have to "follow" in the real world to get closer to it.  Or it might teleport around and you get a vague arrow pointing to where it is and you have to go and find it.

So for starters, as you can tell, there's lots of real world interaction.  And the biggest problem with it is - it's all time based.  I've spent plenty of time wandering round my house following these sounds only to be told time ran out and the invizimal got away.  And to be honest, I don't even want to leave my room when hunting for Invizimals, but the game will take me all over the place.  

To be completely honest, I'm stuck in the game at the moment.  I'm following this arrow towards and invizimal I'm supposed to catch and it's NEVER where the arrow is pointing me.  And since that's the next objective in the game, I can't actually proceed until I catch it.  It might be pointing me through the wall into another room, but fuck that - I don't want to play a game that way.

The card-based AR stuff is slightly better.  Once you've "caught" the Invizimal, you have to do various minigames with it i.e. guide it through an obstacle course; dodge projectiles it fires at you; play pinball with it.  These actually work for me, but they're not much fun to be honest - they're just gimmicky mini-games, the kind you'd find in Little Deviants.

You also have to do a little AR mini-game every time you build a building in the game.  It'll be in pieces and you have to pick each piece up, rotate it round and then put it in place.  This also wasn't much fun at all.

The good stuff is everything else.  The story is told through live action cutscenes that are Command & Conquer levels of stupid, and I absolutely love that.  The battles in the game are like a 3D 1v1 brawler - you move around in a 3D space and fire projectiles or close range attacks that need to recharge and use up a bar.  They're honestly quite fun.  There's also various stat building on your Invizimals which is a lot of fun, much like any RPG you can allocate stats as they level up to make them stronger.

There's also a minor city building aspect to it in that you build up a little stronghold with various structures in, which I quite like.

Honestly, without the AR rubbish I'd quite enjoy the game.  But the AR is the game.  If you're interested in that kind of stuff, i'd say absolutely go for it, but for me I really don't like it and the rest of the game isn't worth keeping tbh.

Luckily, I paid £4 for it when I bought it and CEX are accepting trade-ins for £8 cash or £10 store credit, so I've actually made money on the game, so I can't really complain :P

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Aura7541 said:

Um... Why would you conclude that I don't play Japanese video games because my viewpoints on bad translations vs. dubs do not coincide with yours? You know better than that...

Aura7541 said:
outlawauron said:
Aura7541 said:

Um... Why would you conclude that I don't play Japanese video games because my viewpoints on bad translations vs. dubs do not coincide with yours? You know better than that...

It's that believing dub = good translation, because that isn't the case as we get subpar works all the time. The best quality the West sees still isn't very good, and that's several tiers above series like Tales or Ys. Even if the language "make sense" does not mean it's a good translation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Also, Sword Art Online tops both US & EU downloads for the second month in a row.  Hope for Lost Song?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/09/ps-stores-top-downloads-for-september-2014/#sf5133396

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/09/playstation-store-charts-september/

PS Vita Games
1 Sword Art Online -Hollow Fragment-
2 Don’t Starve: Giant Edition
3 Need for Speed Most Wanted
4 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
5 WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Ultimate
6 Murasaki Baby
7 Terraria
8 Rogue Legacy
9 Cel Damage HD
10 ModNation Racers: Road Trip

PS Vita

1. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (1)
  2. Don’t Starve: Giant Edition (New)
  3. Murasaki Baby (New)
  4. Machinarium (RE)
  5. FIFA 15 (New)
  6. Virtue’s Last Reward (RE)
  7. WRC 4 FIA World Rally Championship (RE)
  8. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (RE)
  9. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (New)
  10. Killzone Mercenary (RE)
  11. FIFA 14 (9)
  12. Borderlands 2 (12)
  13. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (RE)
  14. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (RE)
  15. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation (2)
  16. Real Boxing (RE)
  17. MotoGP13 Compact (RE)
  18. Persona 4 Golden (18)
  19. Dead Nation (RE)
  20. Terraria (13)

And, if anyone missed it, here's Hatsune Miku performing on... Letterman...

While I'm happy SAO is #1 again, I feel that DanganRonpa totally deserves the top spot.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
While I'm happy SAO is #1 again, I feel that DanganRonpa totally deserves the top spot.

Dangan entered the UK physical chart pretty highly (for that kind of game) I suspect the digital only nature of SAO is the reason its done better digitally. I wouldn't be surprised if Danganronpa 2 had paid it over all. Actually depressing that the FIFA Launch title sans online play debuted so high. Also hit 18th in the UK chart physically which is higher than anything else this year I think including Final Fantasy and Football Manager Classic.

Don't starve placing below SAO is interesting. Does that confirm that PS+ downloads aren't counted in these charts?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.