By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else absolutely despise the way the industry is moving?

Nope I like the way its moving. It seems all 3 are trying to cater to the casual whilst at the same time having good hardcore games (yes even Nintendo by the looks of their new Wii U system)

Around the Network

*rawr I'm a hardcore gamer!*
Hardcore gaming hasn't changed one bit because hardcore gaming is, was, and will always be the sole province PC gaming -- not filthy console peasants. Hardcore gamers also don't whack off to graphics because they're too busy making a .cfg file that sets their graphics below what can be set in game to make sure their frames per second stay at 60 frames per second and measuring with a ruler to see how much their $150 mouse moves moves on screen per 1 inch of real movement. (I wish I were making this up but when I played competitively that's what everyone did)
*/rawr I'm a hardcore gamer*

Silliness and retarded dick waving aside, don't think of this stuff as a permanent fixture forcing the hand of gaming because it's not. When you're getting right now is the effects of Nintendo dominating the market with an innovative idea. What's going to happen is you're probably going to get a generation of consoles where this continues, and a lot of the bad ideas will be filtered out. They learned an important lesson, though: there has to be a familiar base or no one is going to bite.

You may hate the Kinect rail shooters and the creepy Disney thing, but being able to give your squad voice commands is an incredible innovation to squad based games. No more pausing the action or taking short cuts on abilities to cut down on buttons. Instead of navigating clumsy menus that either pause the game and kill the tempo you can just say "HEAL ME". Mass Effect was a perfect example taking the giant, hulking Kinect apparatus and stripping it down to an essential part (voice command) that greatly adds not only to the flow of the game but the immersion in a way that doesn't feel cheesy or forced.

All that crazy Nintendo strategy aping, trying to get new gamers to play ended up actually a level of immersion and convenience you wouldn't have gotten otherwise that actually improves a "core" (whatever the hell that means) game in a legitimate, drastic, and immersive way. Let that sink in for a second. If it wasn't for Nintendo having a massive set of balls to do what they did, 360 players would being playing with nothing but the normal controller. How quaint; how last gen.

Anyone that says something like voice commands are no big deal or something they'd never do because it's for babies or whatever is just being an obtuse little bitch about the whole thing. I've used voice commands in games since 2002 on PC and let me tell you, the sheer headcrushing depth it adds, ease of use, and the speed you can pull it off what would normally be long winded button commands is the most awesome experience you'll have this gen. (IF they do it right)

Go check out Operation Flashpoint in game command menu navigation. Imagine being able to give insanely detailed and complex orders to squad mates with a few words instead of navigating a menu that can branch 4-5 times. Now you can suddenly have games where you lead a squad of 20-30 people instead of just 4, or even do combined arms and command soldiers, thanks, planes, you name it. Now tell me you'd rather do that shit with just a controller.

I'm actually sad I don't have a 360 now. :(

Edit: ArmA squad commands

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_AI_Squad_Command

(yes, that's the "simplest" overview I could find and there are a ton of commands--most of which can be replaced with a single voice command and no menu navigation if you have voice)

as a Sony fan im totally pleased with the way the industry is going ^^

badgenome said:
I agree. If every game isn't aimed directly at me and my demographic with laser like focus, I become cranky and often soil myself in rage.

Hahaha! Gold.

d21lewis said:
Yesterday, I gave the Kinect Fun Labs a try. I didn't have much time to get into it, though. Anyway, I created a perfect copy of my daughter's stuffed tiger and controlled it on screen with my body.

Is it wrong to be turned on by this?

Around the Network
endimion said:
Marks said:
Yeah I agree with the OP.

I'm not really a Nintendo guy and I don't like the look of the Wii U controller at all so Nintendo is out next gen for me. If the next Xbox is the Kinect Box then Microsoft is out next gen. I think Sony might be my only bet next gen because I don't see them making the PS4 all about PS Move or anything like that.

what is all the hate about motion control???? why a kinect based consol would be the end of core gaming.... ask any kids 20 years ago if would like to see a day where you can game with out a controller.... wht do you think he would have said..... now it's here and all people have to say is core gaming is with a pad you are a casual if you use motion gadgets.....

now if people use there brain 2 seconds..... first kinect is an option ona 6 years old consol...... and second we don't even have rumors on a new system yet..... when that will come even if motion control is fully integrated first it will be 10 times better and the system itself will be.....

imagine fully 3 dimensional tracking, 3D grphics, multiplayer up to 100s....  stop being so worried because you haven't seen anything that hot a year after launch of a totally new concept..... if takes as much time for devs to fully exploit the potential and get creative with kinect than it did for them to get around the cell tech spec.... there is no reason to be alarmed... especially that far in a generation.....

I was just stating my personal opinion man. I don't like motion controls. I do have fun with Wii Sports every now and then but 99% of the time I prefer sitting back and playing with a regular controller. 

I'm not trying to make a core/casual/hardcore debate or whatever. I never even used any of those "terms" in my post. 

I did despise the direction at the time this thread was written (right after E3) but now, I don't. I'm happy.

no i like the direction, I want more skill based action games and less looking around for where to go or what item to find games.