By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do People Still Care About Exclusives?

d21lewis said:
CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

That's a hell of a list, Aldro.  Very diverse, too. For a certain audience, it's very impressive.  Some people may even be jealous.  But for a majority of people, it doesn't matter if these games were exclusive, multi-plat, first party, or third party.  They're just games that they can buy.  And in all honesty, even though these games are good (sometimes, GREAT!), they aren't the ones people end up buying or caring about.

As far as the PS3 is concerned, things like free online, Blu Ray, pricing, and media options probably do more as far as selling the system than any of the games on that list.  Exclusives are a small piece of a much bigger pie.

I have to agree in spots and disagree [heavily] in others. Exclusives always been the bread and butter of any console. In fact, every market leader won based mainly on that. Now things are a little different this gen - extra media capabilities are becoming nearly as important, but this gen's market leader proves the old idea that exclusives will play the largest role in major success. It would not be where it is today without suff like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Play, and New Super Mario Bros Wii.

The pie is big, yes, but exclusives are still the biggest [and most important] part of it. It's very simple; without exclusives, we have no need for multiple consoles. It's not just a matter of e-peen waiving, but a condition of individuality. Microsoft knew this coming into the gen, which is why the PS3 shares 75-80% of it's library with the 360, and thus why it couldn't truly take off - people for a long time didn't see much of a difference between the two, so LIVE & price became determining factors [and are "exclusives" to the 360 in their own meaningful way].

End of the day, all BS aside, exclusives have, do, and will continue to matter in the most vital ways in console gaming. If they don't, we have no need for a multiconsole industry and should just put all of our games into a universal one * shutters at that idea *

Kid just kicked me off the computer! Now I' on my phone.....

Times, they are a'changin.  The thread didn't ask if exclusives used to matter.  It asked if they still mattered.  To a degree, they do--just not as much as they used to.  I'm sure the PS3's inability to gain footing early on was caused by other problems and not just exclusives.  Even now, the list of PS3 exclusives is HUGE.  It's still selling well below the 360 in the USA and beating it by just a few thousand when the worldwide totals come in.  And make a list of the top 50 games based on sales anda seperate list based on reviews (this gen, only).  I don't know the results but I'm willing to bet that (with the exception of Nintendo titles), exclusives don't have the impact we like to think they do.

As for this gen's leader, they were last gens loser.  Did Nintendo's exclusives quality jump that much?  Or maybe it was something extra (hint: rhymes with "lotion fun-trolls) had something to do with it.  I'll elaborate when I 

Yes they do, Gears of war/Halo 3/MGS4 made quite an impact.  Gears of war gave birth to the X360 sales and MGS4 sales made people go => 'Okay PS3 will sell more than DC but will it sell more than GC?'

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Kid just kicked me off the computer! Now I' on my phone.....

Times, they are a'changin.  The thread didn't ask if exclusives used to matter.  It asked if they still mattered.  To a degree, they do--just not as much as they used to.  I'm sure the PS3's inability to gain footing early on was caused by other problems and not just exclusives.  Even now, the list of PS3 exclusives is HUGE.  It's still selling well below the 360 in the USA and beating it by just a few thousand when the worldwide totals come in.  And make a list of the top 50 games based on sales anda seperate list based on reviews (this gen, only).  I don't know the results but I'm willing to bet that (with the exception of Nintendo titles), exclusives don't have the impact we like to think they do.

As for this gen's leader, they were last gens loser.  Did Nintendo's exclusives quality jump that much?  Or maybe it was something extra (hint: rhymes with "lotion fun-trolls) had something to do with it.  I'll elaborate when I 

I told you why exclusives still do matter. Not sure why your second sentence even exists. I talked about how they have mattered, why they still matter, and why they'll continue to matter.

Also, the PS3 is losing in America for the very reasons I mentioned (LIVE/price). Those two things play the biggest roles here and without them, the two would be much closer in numbers. People didn't see a need for PS3 once stuff like FFXIII & GTA IV released day and date with the 360 (also a point I made). I imagine had those titles remained exclusive, the race would look different right now. Since they didn't, people look to other determining factors, which the 360 has pretty much had (and still has in terms of LIVE features and cheaper price) to itself all gen.

Now to the Wii; them being last gen's loser is irrelevant. Nintendo created something EXCLUSIVE to it, thus propelling the system to unprecedented sell rates. The exclusive titles obviously complimented that. However, with the recent inclusion of Move and [particularly] Kinect, along with the slowdown of software, look at how things have changed. A system is only as good as it's exclusive software and if not, then what do we need multiple systems for?

Dude!! You quoted me, first!!  I'm not saying anything I didn't say the first time you quoted me!!  Yeah, exclusives matter but things like price and features do, too (which we both agreed with even though I said it first!!).  They're just not the end-all, be-all that they used to be!  Shit, even things like the controller matter to some people.  I'm sure you could find a guy that thinks the power button is the most important thing about a game console if you look hard enough.  Quit being so anal!

As for Nintendo being last gen's loser being irrelevant, how is it irrelevant and your comment about how "exclusives always mattered in the past" more relevant!?  And Nintendo created something EXCLUSIVE to their platform?  Yeah, I know about the motion controls!!  I thought I gave a pretty good hint......But we are talking about exclusive GAMES!  I'm the one who said EXCLUSIVE FEATURES matter more.  Gosh!!  My blood pressure!!

*takes a deep breath*

Okay.  The OP said that MGS series going mult-plat doesn't bother him anymore.  He doesn't care like he used to.  Not many of us do.  Most gamers (not just the "Hardcore") don't care anymore. 

And we don't need multiple systems.  The only reason we have multiple systems is because the games industry hasn't become united like the movies industry (one format playable on multiple devices), music (one format playable on multiple devices), and television industry have.  It's because the major players don't want to collaborate on a universal standard (and I'm not quite sure how they could just yet.).

VetteDude said:
Aldro said:
radiantshadow92 said:

I still care, i like going "haha i get to play infamous!" =p

And..

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
The Last Guardian
Twisted Metal
Killzone 3
Killzone 2
LBP2
LBP1
Gran Turismo 5
InFAMOUS 2
InFAMOUS 1
Resistance 3
Uncharted 1
Demons Souls
Heavy Rain
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Motorstorm 3
Motorstorm 2
Motorstorm 1
Starhawk
Warhawk
M.A.G - Massive Action Game
SOCOM 4
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 3
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of destruction
Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time
Modnation Racers

:)

Yesssssssss.

I like exclusives because nobody does them better than Sony.

You're not alone ;D

d21lewis said:
Aldro said:
radiantshadow92 said:

I still care, i like going "haha i get to play infamous!" =p

And..

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
The Last Guardian
Twisted Metal
Killzone 3
Killzone 2
LBP2
LBP1
Gran Turismo 5
InFAMOUS 2
InFAMOUS 1
Resistance 3
Uncharted 1
Demons Souls
Heavy Rain
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Motorstorm 3
Motorstorm 2
Motorstorm 1
Starhawk
Warhawk
M.A.G - Massive Action Game
SOCOM 4
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 3
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of destruction
Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time
Modnation Racers

:)

That's a hell of a list, Aldro.  Very diverse, too. For a certain audience, it's very impressive.  Some people may even be jealous.  But for a majority of people, it doesn't matter if these games were exclusive, multi-plat, first party, or third party.  They're just games that they can buy.  And in all honesty, even though these games are good (sometimes, GREAT!), they aren't the ones people end up buying or caring about.

As far as the PS3 is concerned, things like free online, Blu Ray, pricing, and media options probably do more as far as selling the system than any of the games on that list.  Exclusives are a small piece of a much bigger pie.

Yeah but it's enough for what Radiantshadow said. I've like.. managed to get plenty of my buds to change to PS3 by speaking very very very highly about the games and showing them stuff ^^. Not saying M$ doesnt, they just dont seem to catch the same interest like Sony's games do (Judging this purely on my mates and not the general audience or anyone who simply is going to buy a console. Those who have a 360, and are mostly playing games that are found on the PC or PS3, seem to enjoy their PS3 far more than their 360 when it comes to the exclusive list. My friends and I all have a really good PC, so if the game is there, we are more than likely to take it there. And for the 360 counterpart, its something like this =

Xbox 360(15):
Gears of War 3
Gears of War 2
Halo Reach
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Fable 2
Alan Wake
Crackdown 1
Crackdown 2
Forza 4
Forza 3
Forza 2
PGR4
PGR3
Banjo - Kazooi: Nuts & Bolts

Where as Sony on the PS3 has both more games, more franchises, more critically acclaimed titles than Microsoft on the Xbox 360.

Just wanted to share my experience and what it has led me to believe xD.

ALSO:
Multiplats do score very well and are not to be disregarded. I am just saying, for whores who want that little "extra" and don't seem to fancy Microsofts exclusives like Sony's, the PS3 is the obvious choice, thanks to the solid exclusive list. But yes, theres far more than just the exclusives.

Aldro said:

I've like.. managed to get plenty of my buds to change to PS3 by speaking very very very highly about the games and showing them stuff ^^.

That's cool.  I can respect that.  I'll just say this:  You managed to get your friends to switch to PS3 because YOU stressed the importance/quality of the exclusive games.  Before that, did they care?

Most of the people I know (people who I hide my love of gaming for) don't care if the game they bought is made by Sony, Capcom, Microsoft, or whatever.  They just care if the game they're playing is worth owning.  I even have a friend at work who I tried to convince to get a 360.  He was pretty much like, "I can't fuck with Microsoft.  I'm a Sony fan.  I always was."  But the only games he owns are third party sports games and third party FPS's!!  WTF!?

*edit*  I know this will either unravel my entire argument or cement it but: Maybe if there were some 360 exclusives that he cared about.....

Around the Network

I think the better question is whether or not exclusives are worth caring about.

Pixel Art can be fun.

MrT-Tar said:

No matter what people say exclusives still rule the roost.

Games like the two Mario Galaxies, MGS4, Valkyrie Chronicles, Dragon Quest IX, Pokemon Black/White, SSBBrawl, Monster Hunter 3, etc are all exclusive and they are my favourite games this generation.

Ditto

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Dude!! You quoted me, first!!  I'm not saying anything I didn't say the first time you quoted me!!  Yeah, exclusives matter but things like price and features do, too (which we both agreed with even though I said it first!!).  They're just not the end-all, be-all that they used to be!  Shit, even things like the controller matter to some people.  I'm sure you could find a guy that thinks the power button is the most important thing about a game console if you look hard enough.  Quit being so anal!

As for Nintendo being last gen's loser being irrelevant, how is it irrelevant and your comment about how "exclusives always mattered in the past" more relevant!?  And Nintendo created something EXCLUSIVE to their platform?  Yeah, I know about the motion controls!!  I thought I gave a pretty good hint......But we are talking about exclusive GAMES!  I'm the one who said EXCLUSIVE FEATURES matter more.  Gosh!!  My blood pressure!!

*takes a deep breath*

Okay.  The OP said that MGS series going mult-plat doesn't bother him anymore.  He doesn't care like he used to.  Not many of us do.  Most gamers (not just the "Hardcore") don't care anymore. 

And we don't need multiple systems.  The only reason we have multiple systems is because the games industry hasn't become united like the movies industry (one format playable on multiple devices), music (one format playable on multiple devices), and television industry have.  It's because the major players don't want to collaborate on a universal standard (and I'm not quite sure how they could just yet.).

Alright, since you seem to be getting a tad defensive, I'll just end my bit with a simple agree to disagree. For me, exclusives will always matter when purchasing and keeping up with any console [and thankfully, much of the gaming industry currently agrees with that sentiment].

I disagree with your suggestion to agree to disagree.....

j/k

selnor said:
786_ali said:

Most of the best games each generation are exclusives. You don't see many multiplat games getting higher metacritic scores than exclusives. Generally multiplats are games meant to make money, whereas exclusive focus more on the quality and are much more memorable.

Mass Effect?

Elder Scrolls?

Portal?

COD?

Bioshock?

MGS?

Theres quite a few franchises top flight this gen.

Mass Effect was exclusive and was ported later on. Same with Bioshock. MGS is still exclusive right now. Elder Scrolls and Portal I'll accept, but COD comes under the category of money-maker in my opinion.

And you'll find that exclusive games still top those in the list

Initiating social expirement #928719281

d21lewis said:
Aldro said:

I've like.. managed to get plenty of my buds to change to PS3 by speaking very very very highly about the games and showing them stuff ^^.

That's cool.  I can respect that.  I'll just say this:  You managed to get your friends to switch to PS3 because YOU stressed the importance/quality of the exclusive games.  Before that, did they care?

Most of the people I know (people who I hide my love of gaming for) don't care if the game they bought is made by Sony, Capcom, Microsoft, or whatever.  They just care if the game they're playing is worth owning.  I even have a friend at work who I tried to convince to get a 360.  He was pretty much like, "I can't fuck with Microsoft.  I'm a Sony fan.  I always was."  But the only games he owns are third party sports games and third party FPS's!!  WTF!?

*edit*  I know this will either unravel my entire argument or cement it but: Maybe if there were some 360 exclusives that he cared about.....

Yeah I get your point, I am just speaking about how easily I can show ..to ..some.. people... why.. they... should.. not.. have .. a ... 360.. when they have a good PC and they want ... games.. that.. are.. ..acclaimed by the ..media/internet/"BEST GRAPHICS"/awesome experience etc. I get where you're coming from and im glad you seem to get what I mean too :). They have games that they buy and barely any of them are on the 15 list of 360. But when I start showing off the 35 list, theyre bound to like something xD and usually theres plenty of more where that came from!!11!1