By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Japan not buying the 3DS? Goo investigates!

3DS isn't off to the greatest of starts. Following early sellouts, the system has dropped under the 20,000 mark and sells half as many units as the PSP.

So why aren't people buying Nintendo's new system? As part of a survey conducted last month, Goo Research asked its monitors the reason they haven't bought the 3DS. It posted the results of the 1,110 person (39.5% male, 60.5% female) survey at Goo Ranking today.

Here's the top 20:

• 1. Price is high/waiting for a price drop
  • 2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
  • 3. Worried about eye strain
  • 4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
  • 5. Few launch titles
  • 6. Will buy once a game I want is released
  • 7. Satisfied by cell phone and smartphone games
  • 8. Satisfied by PSP
  • 9. The battery is weak
  • 10. It's heavy and I don't feel like carrying it with me
  • 11. Can't play Game Boy Advance games
  • 12. The color I want isn't available
  • 13. Can't play Game Boy games
  • 14. I'll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
  • 15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen
  • 16. Because you can't move your DSi Points over
  • 17. The buttons layout looks hard to use
  • 18. No Famicom/NES in the Virtual Console
  • 19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
  • 20. Waiting until my friend buys it

3DS did much better in a previous ranking. In March, a month after the system was released, Goo conducted a general internet poll asking "What game system will you buy next?". 3DS came out on top then, receiving 14,668 votes compared to NGP's 5,200.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/01/goo_3ds_survey/

as all polls, accuracy of these things are doubtful. But thought it was an interesting read, especially on how the eye strain issue ranked so high, didn't expect that

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

especially on how the eye strain issue ranked so high, didn't expect that

Truth through repitition. Especially made more viral through fear.

Galaki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I know that in UK some papers made some headlines on it but hadn't heard it getting any such coverage in Japan tho :S could it be the label warning of such a strain on the package (there is one right? I remember reading so a while back)?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Galaki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I know that in UK some papers made some headlines on it but hadn't heard it getting any such coverage in Japan tho :S could it be the label warning of such a strain on the package (there is one right? I remember reading so a while back)?

Fear is borderless :)

anyone who got the 3DS knows about the bloody eye strains , i myself just put the 3D off, but honestly i don't know why Nintendo would release what they know is very painful to look at, its not only strains, you feel very dizzy looking at it, its the same feeling when you have one finger infront of your eyes and get cross eyed with it, now imagine that plus focusing on the game, its impossible without tiring your eyes out.

i hate to say it, and i know people will think i'm just flaming ,  but buying a 3DS made me not want glassless free tvs, 3D with glasses is the way to go, its better for the eyes, much better.

Around the Network

goddamned consumers!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

M.U.G.E.N said:

(39.5% male, 60.5% female) 

Women...

In all seriousness, most of this list can easily be sorted by Nintendo themselves over time. Cut the price, get the machine in more peoples hands = more people trying it out and giving it to their friends to try = more people discovering the 3D doesn't effect them negatively = more sales...

VGChartz

Good news for me! Means I don't have to look so hard to find one! (It was such a pain buying a Wii)

miz1q2w3e said:

Good news for me! Means I don't have to look so hard to find one! (It was such a pain buying a Wii)

Very true (it was embarrassing how many times I had to look for both a Wii and DSl at retail before finally finding one), but considering that you only have to find one once... it's not really an issue unless they're being scalped by resellers as though they were limited run items. 

That was actually the reason why I pre-ordered a 3DS despite the lack of any games on launch I wanted to buy. The 3DS became the "portable SFIV" handheld until I sent it back to Nintendo to fix a factory defect speaker. 

In retrospect, the 3DS was not worth the $250 I paid for it, but once the games I was planning on buying are released, I'll have the hardware on hand to play them and it will seem like a better purchase. Of course if Nintendo is forced to drop the price to $199 or resort to aggressive bundling (free stuff always good) before or right around the same time those games come out... well, guess which guy with two thumbs won't be pre-ordering a Nintendo Cafe? :: this guy ::

• 1. Price is high/waiting for a price drop
  • 2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
  • 3. Worried about eye strain
  • 4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
  • 5. Few launch titles
  • 6. Will buy once a game I want is released
  • 7. Satisfied by cell phone and smartphone games
  • 8. Satisfied by PSP
  • 9. The battery is weak
  • 10. It's heavy and I don't feel like carrying it with me
  • 11. Can't play Game Boy Advance games
  • 13. Can't play Game Boy games
  • 14. I'll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
  • 15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen
  • 16. Because you can't move your DSi Points over
  • 17. The buttons layout looks hard to use
  • 18. No Famicom/NES in the Virtual Console
  • 19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
  • 20. Waiting until my friend buys it
I generally have to agree with all the bold points/complaints. Some of the other ones seem a bit ridiculous to me personally, but hey; it's their $250 to spend. I already spent mine.