By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Japan not buying the 3DS? Goo investigates!

M.U.G.E.N said:

3DS isn't off to the greatest of starts. Following early sellouts, the system has dropped under the 20,000 mark and sells half as many units as the PSP.

So why aren't people buying Nintendo's new system? As part of a survey conducted last month, Goo Research asked its monitors the reason they haven't bought the 3DS. It posted the results of the 1,110 person (39.5% male, 60.5% female) survey at Goo Ranking today.

Here's the top 20:

• 1. Price is high/waiting for a price drop
  • 2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
  • 3. Worried about eye strain
  • 4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
  • 5. Few launch titles
  • 6. Will buy once a game I want is released
  • 7. Satisfied by cell phone and smartphone games
  • 8. Satisfied by PSP
  • 9. The battery is weak
  • 10. It's heavy and I don't feel like carrying it with me
  • 11. Can't play Game Boy Advance games
  • 12. The color I want isn't available
  • 13. Can't play Game Boy games
  • 14. I'll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
  • 15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen
  • 16. Because you can't move your DSi Points over
  • 17. The buttons layout looks hard to use
  • 18. No Famicom/NES in the Virtual Console
  • 19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
  • 20. Waiting until my friend buys it

3DS did much better in a previous ranking. In March, a month after the system was released, Goo conducted a general internet poll asking "What game system will you buy next?". 3DS came out on top then, receiving 14,668 votes compared to NGP's 5,200.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/01/goo_3ds_survey/

as all polls, accuracy of these things are doubtful. But thought it was an interesting read, especially on how the eye strain issue ranked so high, didn't expect that

That depends on the kind of poll. You could possibly do with a larger sample for a country of 120 million (but actually 1100 is pretty ok) but if it's representative then there's nothing wrong with it. You just need to know how the poll was carried out.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

Why complain about a feature you can turn off?

Because the hardware was made around that feature to the detriment of other features people actually enjoy.  

Meh when a Mario game comes out sales will be through the roof not to mention all the 3rd party support the system has with future games.

For me I am waiting for Zelda and then I will buy it

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
radha said:

im surprised since the 3ds strategy is the same as the wii, the wii is a gamecube with a gymic the 3ds is a ds with a gymic, it should have worked , they should have sold millions.

The strategy behind the 3DS isn't even remotely similar. Not even on the processing power aspect. The Wii was an overclocked Gamecube while the 3DS actually made a generational leap in line with previous generations. Historically, successful handhelds have been about two generations behind home consoles in terms of processing power and the 3DS is no different. The only outlier so far has been the PSP which has been only one generation behind. The NGP will be the next one, provided it is successful.

well the wii is suppose to be more advance than the gamecube, but they never programed a game to make the differece notizable and is the same with the 3ds up until now, no game in 3ds right now looks like it cant be done in ds, that is why many are "satified with [their] ds".  So the strategy is the same at the end.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

M.U.G.E.N said:
  • 2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
  • 3. Worried about eye strain
  • 4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
  • 5. Few launch titles
  • 6. Will buy once a game I want is released
  • 14. I'll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
  • 15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen

These are my reason. Before anyone says something, my lil sis has a 3DS and I've tried it out. That thing really does hurt my eyes and way to quickly. I'm just gonna keep my 3D off if I do get it at some point.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
radha said:
RolStoppable said:

The strategy behind the 3DS isn't even remotely similar. Not even on the processing power aspect. The Wii was an overclocked Gamecube while the 3DS actually made a generational leap in line with previous generations. Historically, successful handhelds have been about two generations behind home consoles in terms of processing power and the 3DS is no different. The only outlier so far has been the PSP which has been only one generation behind. The NGP will be the next one, provided it is successful.

well the wii is suppose to be more advance than the gamecube, but they never programed a game to make the differece notizable and is the same with the 3ds up until now, no game in 3ds right now looks like it cant be done in ds, that is why many are "satified with [their] ds".  So the strategy is the same at the end.

Your spelling is okay which leads me to believe that you are neither drunk or stoned. That leaves ignorance.

oh , a fanboy answer!!!!

Hey Listen!

RolStoppable said:
radha said:

oh , a fanboy answer!!!!

This is what really annoys me here on VGC. Instead of admitting that they are wrong, people choose the easy way out by trying to get themselves banned. Don't you have any sense of honor?

Me? you are the one that called me ignorant, you answer without any arguments to defend your statement , meaning you had none , so you choose the easy way out and called me ingnorant.

Hey Listen!

radha said:
RolStoppable said:
radha said:

im surprised since the 3ds strategy is the same as the wii, the wii is a gamecube with a gymic the 3ds is a ds with a gymic, it should have worked , they should have sold millions.

3DS

DS

Maybe you should do some research before posting. As already stated, you made yourself look very ignorant.

These are my reasons

• 2. Satisfied by DS Lite
  • 5. Few launch titles [that I actually give a shit about. Tom Clancy Shadow Wars is the only title that seems interesting to me. But Tactical RPGs are very hit-or-miss with me.]
  • 7. Satisfied by smartphone games [Right now there are more Android games that I own that I'm interested in than 3DS exclusive games believe it or not. Smartphone games don't get as much credit as they should. I even have two jrpgs on my phone. Where are the jrpgs on the 3DS? It's a bunch of remakes except for one Tri-Ace dungeon crawler down the road and not much is known about it yet.]
  • 8. Satisfied by PSP
  • 10. It's heavy and I don't feel like carrying it with me [The same can be said for any other dedicated game handheld now. I'm less likely to take my dedicated game handhelds with me on the go and just take my smartphone.]
  • 11. Can't play Game Boy Advance games
  • 14. I'll save my money for NGP, thank you very much [Undecided on the NGP right now though. Not enough is known about it.]
  • 17. The buttons layout looks hard to use [The D-Pad is in the wrong position for 2D games. That's why I use a wired Mad Catz Fight Pad for 2D games on the Xbox 360.]
  • 19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
  • 20. Waiting until my friend buys it [Change that to: I'd buy it if I wanted to get closer to a cute Nintendo fangirl so that I can get into her pants.]
Plus one more: I can't see in stereoscopic 3D very well.
I took out the eyestrain/illness options because since I can't see in 3D very well, I don't get sick from 3D. Avatar didn't make me sick at all when I watched it in theatres but I couldn't really see the 3D effects.

kitler53 said:
SaviorX said:

Why complain about a feature you can turn off?

there would probably be less complaints if you didn't have to pay a premium price to get that feature you are going to turn off.  same idea as a $600 dollar launch ps3 for people who didn't care to use the blu ray.  being forced to pay for something you don't want to get something you do tends to piss people off.

therefore, a 3DS2d @ $200 would outsell a 3DS at $250 imo.

They are also paying for an IR port, better graphics, a gyroscope, a better camera, stronger backlight, more memory,  the apps arlready available at purchase, wireless capability and an accelerometer.......and 3D.

The 3D is the most mainstream addition to promote in ads and commercials. Spotpass won't exactly have people running to the stores.  Almost everyone knows what 3D is about.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."