By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Industry Icon Tournament: Major Nelson Vs. John Romero

Romero. I don't get why anyone would vote for xbox professional troll instead of guy that was part of development team that mades several titles which shaped gaming to what it is today.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

John Romero by a mile.

VGChartz

Any employee of iD automatically wins.

John Romero.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Oh please... Is this even a vote? iD's coffee machine would win against Major Nelson.

John Romero.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

John... he banged Stevie Case

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

John Romero.

Next round looks interesting.

BenVTrigger said:

Major Nelson is my vote for sure, because he's actually a likeable guy.

And Romero even though he came up with some great games is annoying and was the tagline for possibly the single worst advertising campaign in video game history.

You can vote as you want, but the thread says it's a vote for the greatest icon :P

Major Nelson is a footnote in gaming history, at best.

John Romero

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

NJ5 said:
BenVTrigger said:

Major Nelson is my vote for sure, because he's actually a likeable guy.

And Romero even though he came up with some great games is annoying and was the tagline for possibly the single worst advertising campaign in video game history.

You can vote as you want, but the thread says it's a vote for the greatest icon :P

Major Nelson is a footnote in gaming history, at best.

And I care why?

I like Major Nelson, thus I vote for him.  I could care less what anyone else's opinion is on this kind of thing.  I vote for people I like.  I'm not arguing Romero had done more, but he doesn't get my vote.

Not to mention if you want to talk about "icon's" in the strictest sense I can 100% guarantee you Nelson is FAR more recognized by the gaming community as a whole.  Only core's have any idea who Romero is while virtually every person who has ever played an Xbox or checks the internet knows who Nelson is.

So actually define what you mean by icon cause if this was a much broader poll for all gamers to vote I can guarantee you Nelson wins by a landslide.

BenVTrigger said:

And I care why?

I like Major Nelson, thus I vote for him.  I could care less what anyone else's opinion is on this kind of thing.  I vote for people I like.  I'm not arguing Romero had done more, but he doesn't get my vote.

Not to mention if you want to talk about "icon's" in the strictest sense I can 100% guarantee you Nelson is FAR more recognized by the gaming community as a whole.  Only core's have any idea who Romero is while virtually every person who has ever played an Xbox or checks the internet knows who Nelson is.

So actually define what you mean by icon cause if this was a much broader poll for all gamers to vote I can guarantee you Nelson wins by a landslide.

As I said, you can vote as you want (that's why it's called voting).

I play the Xbox 360 and (obviously) read internet gaming forums and I had little idea who "Major Nelson" was or what he did until I read this thread. I knew he had something to do with Microsoft and that was it. But maybe I'm an exception.

In any case the reasoning for my vote is that Romero has done a lot for gaming by founding and working for one of the most iconic studios in PC gaming. That counts much more than being an internet personality / blogger or working on one mediocre gaming platform...