By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision: Call of Duty Elite Service detailed

babuks said:

If Microsoft can charge for online gaming, what is the wrong if Activision wants to do the same?

That's different, Xbox Live is an entire service that includes hundreds of games and gives you access to features and offers you otherwise wouldn't if you didnt pay (such as half price XBLA games and the like), make what you will of it's value I don't mind. Whilst on the other hand this would be for just one game or, maybe if you're lucky, the CoD series in general and if it is priced at anything more than £2.50 or $5 a month then it will be more expensive than xbox live too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------***-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I can see this doing is making the basic 'disc' version of the game more like a multiplayer demo where you get access to say 3 or 4 maps and limited modes and options etc... and then this 'Elite' service will give you access to the remainder of the maps, that conveniently didn't make the disc version. I don't even see this giving you the 'big' map packs for free either, maybe just half price or something.

Around the Network

what getting money from xbl isnt good enough

selling millions of $15 map packs isnt enough.

selling 30 million copies/ year of a game released in 2007 isnt good enough.

but i guess people are stupid to pay for everything, even things that are free everywhere else

It will be interesting to see the result in terms of sales, etc.

I'm probably not touching it with a 10-foot pole.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Sooooo they copy pasted bungie.net and they want us to pay for this...

I didn't buy CoD since WaW and it looks like this won't change.

alfredofroylan said:

Well, I guess they had this one reserved for the E3 but the Wall Street Journal broke the surprise

"Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.
Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription. Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

LOLOLOLOL

Around the Network

They wouldn't dare charge for online gaming unless the game was released at a price of £25 or less as a RRP (not £50).

But they are trying to make more money from their franchise in the long run.

Whatever happened to that lawsuit of theirs where they tried to get MS to give them some of MS's profits for X-box Live considering it was MW2 that was the most played game on the service? EDIT: Reading above I presume they got some, they should have just asked for a little percentage based on number of CallOfDuty players instead of a lump sum. Unless they do get that?

Hmm, pie.

Spedfrom said:

And the idiots will pay, like lambs to the slaughter.

"will" ?

they are already paying man ...

Time to Work !

I don't think it will be huge at all. Maybe 500K subscriptions yearly, nothing compared to WoW.

This'll easily work out, there are plenty of people who are willing to pay for it.

P.S: Hyper-realistic what now? XD

Oooo do it for all FPS games and see the demise of the whole genre, or at least see it drop back to the same popularity as the other genres.

Still if paying the subs gets you exclusive DLC then people will pay.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix