By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hacking Group: "It's the beginning of the end for Sony"

Kasz216 said:

No he didn't... and the case went the way it did because Sony knew they were going to lose.

Again, he reverse engineered it.  This is legal.

He did Reverse engineer it (Which is legal) he did however release their Trade secret keys  to other people with the intent of causing harm however.  There is definitely an area of grey there. 

Your trying to stretch things to definitions that do not fit... and clearly do not fit.  Those only count if he breaks into Sony to do so or tries hacking into their mainframes.

Not at all, your changing your story as you go.  First, you say that he has to be an 'employee' to have a trade secret, now since you realized you pulled that out of your ass,  he reverse engineered it.  By releasing those Keys to the public,  he incriminated himself.

Sony GAVE him the keys with his system.  He just reverse engineered the system to look at them.

One way you can tell this is.... Sony's lawsuit does not mention trade secrets.

It doesn't matter if Sony gave him the keys with his system,  any piece of technology has all the material needed to recreate it (Contained within it).  The keys were not public knowledge and were absolutely trade secrets. 

So they would of been left with one charge... where the only ruling ever... was against them... and it would of been in New Jersey rather then California... where judges and politicians tend to get a bit more political money from software companies... what silicon valley and all.

So because of your assumption of bias in California vs New Jersey, you think Sony stopped the case? Give it a rest.  Stop throwing shit on the wall and watching if it sticks.

Sony didn't have anything to get from Geohot,  you know it, they know it and we all know it.   Getting him away from their consoles and products is what they were seeking.  They have lawyers on payroll for this very reason.

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
Kasz216 said:

No he didn't... and the case went the way it did because Sony knew they were going to lose.

Again, he reverse engineered it.  This is legal.

He did Reverse engineer it (Which is legal) he did however release their Trade secret keys  to other people with the intent of causing harm however.  There is definitely an area of grey there. 

Your trying to stretch things to definitions that do not fit... and clearly do not fit.  Those only count if he breaks into Sony to do so or tries hacking into their mainframes.

Not at all, your changing your story as you go.  First, you say that he has to be an 'employee' to have a trade secret, now since you realized you pulled that out of your ass,  he reverse engineered it.  By releasing those Keys to the public,  he incriminated himself.

Sony GAVE him the keys with his system.  He just reverse engineered the system to look at them.

One way you can tell this is.... Sony's lawsuit does not mention trade secrets.

It doesn't matter if Sony gave him the keys with his system,  any piece of technology has all the material needed to recreate it (Contained within it).  The keys were not public knowledge and were absolutely trade secrets. 

So they would of been left with one charge... where the only ruling ever... was against them... and it would of been in New Jersey rather then California... where judges and politicians tend to get a bit more political money from software companies... what silicon valley and all.

So because of your assumption of bias in California vs New Jersey, you think Sony stopped the case? Give it a rest.  Stop throwing shit on the wall and watching if it sticks.

Sony didn't have anything to get from Geohot,  you know it, they know it and we all know it.   Getting him away from their consoles and products is what they were seeking.  They have lawyers on payroll for this very reason.

No i'm not... by not being an employee he reverse engineered it. 

Yeah if he broke into Sony headquarters to steal the trade secrets... that would be like the only way it would be stealing trade secrets.

Note again, SONY DIDN'T SUE HIM FOR THAT.  Read the legal complaint.

They sued him under the same thing apple did and the computer abuse act which is basically the same thing as a "pain and suffering" amount.  EVERYONE who sues in a tech case in cali adds that in.

I think they stopped sueing him, because if New Jersey they don't have a "Computer abuse act".

So they wouldn't of had a prayer of anything sticking.  Sony gave up, period.

brendude13 said:
FreeTalkLive said:
brendude13 said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Maybe in several years time I can forget about the horrible wrongs Sony as done, but as for now, I cannot feel sorry for Sony.  Sorry Sony, stop trying to damage your consumers.  Stop trying to arrest you consumers and have them thrown in jail.  Stop trying to cause them to lose their jobs and break up their families.  Sony owes everyone on Earth a huge SORRY.

Yeah! SONY also needs to apologise for global warming and nuclear weapons.

If SONY creates global warning, then SONY can apologise for that.  But first the problem needs to be created by SONY.  Let's be consistent about this :)

SONY did create global warming. They also "damage" and "arrest" consumers and break families apart and have insulted the entire world.

Well, global warning isn't even an issue right now so I'm not sure how Sony created it.  Maybe you are thinking of climate change.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Would be nice to see people find them and expose at least 2 of them with a youtube video of someone beating the living crap out of them to near death, just to send a message. If they think they are above the law, then so should people that are against them. As a consumer I don't like seeing Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo getting attacked nor their games pirated, as they employ many people who have families. If they want to go against the "evil" corporate side, then go to the heads and leave the rest alone, otherwise it shows how much of pricks they are.

P.S. I would give anything to know the address of any lulsec or anon member that lives in the tri-state area (ny, nj, ct.)

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

demonfox13 said:
Would be nice to see people find them and expose at least 2 of them with a youtube video of someone beating the living crap out of them to near death, just to send a message. If they think they are above the law, then so should people that are against them. As a consumer I don't like seeing Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo getting attacked nor their games pirated, as they employ many people who have families. If they want to go against the "evil" corporate side, then go to the heads and leave the rest alone, otherwise it shows how much of pricks they are.

P.S. I would give anything to know the address of any lulsec or anon member that lives in the tri-state area (ny, nj, ct.)

Oh the irony...

So, these guys are wrong for doing something immoral, lets go vigilante and kick their ass cos thats the right thing to do.  Really???

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
dsister said:
o_O.Q said:

"o_O.Q has been defending Sony for ages now"

? how did you arrive at tht conclusion? what have i said that you consider defending?

I've been following your posts since you joined this site(mostly because we post in the same threads). You defend Sony quite often. 

for the most part i have said that this whole issue of property boils down to this : yes you can take your console and modify it as you like but when you reach the point where your modding affects other people and their property then you've crossed a line

like for example if i had a car i could strap a sword to it but it must remain within my personal space so that others aren't affect... however if i disregard others and drive that car out in public then im posing a threat to them and their property which is unacceptable

i believe the same should apply to console modding if you mod a console your mods shouldn't affect others but thats exactly what happened with geohot who posted those keys ( but according to him whose words we should trust because apparently hes a saint he did not partake in any malicious actvities ) and suddenly hacking shyrockets to a point where its difficult to play some games and there are more reports of piracy

Except when it comes to Geohotz... his "sword" didn't effect ANYONES personal space.

Instead he taught other people how to put a sword there.

He didn't "drive it in public."

Your metaphor fails because you don't even try and make it remotely like the same situation.

vlad321 said:
LivingMetal said:
vlad321 said:
LivingMetal said:
vlad321 said:
LivingMetal said:

And this relates to the PS3 how...?  Besides, I'm pro-competition and anti-monopolistic.  Wasn't Microsoft found guilty of being monopolistic by the Department of Justice.  Oh, they were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

So if we believe in competition, why are we supporting Microsoft?  But realistically, I don't use petty excuses to bash a company.  But being consistent with your own stance, you really shouldn't support Microsoft unless you're pro-monopolistic.  Or even Nintendo for that matter.  Former Nintendo head Yamauchi treated 3rd party developers like dirt back during the N64 days.  So why are you here anyway since you don't support Sony , Microsoft, and Nintendo?  They're all bad.

Ok let's use our 3 brain cells we have. rootkig coems form Sony, which makes PS3. Oh WOW! TWO degrees of separatoin. Unbelieveable.

And Microsoft was found guilty in court of being a monopoly who happens to make the Xbox 360.  Is that a reason why we shouldn't buy and enjoy an Xbox 360?

Did Microsoft compromise my PC?

Did they?  Why would I care and how would I know what Microsoft did to your stuff?  

Being informed I guess. Then again I am not surprised given you didn't know about the rootkits. I suggest you do that before engaging in arguments pertaining to consumer rights.

First of all. The rootkit thing is old, many years old and that was sony music which was in no way related to sonys game devision at that time. In other words, what you're saying to keep debating is not only a tired argument that holds no real value today, it's also moot as it's unrelated to anyone who was involved with your gaming machine.

Yes, sony is restructured to work together today, but as I just stated, it was not at that specific time.

Did microsoft compromise your pc ? without having specific access to your specific pc, how would he have any idea ?

Let me ask another question, did sony compromise my ps3 ?

If you say yes because of the hack, well imagine all the pcs that run windows and have gotten hacked because of holes in windows security, that would make microsoft just as guilty of this as sony.

So. If you could present any reason for your continued debate ?....

Or do you just debate for the sake of it ?

Not only that, but as you tried to avoid, microsoft has extorted software developers, stolen software, exploited developers and much more in the same direction.. Not to mention they knew about the 360s hardware failure prior to release of the machine and they still went ahead without without fixing it.. So what makes them so much better than sony ?

Check out my game about moles ^

slowmo said:
demonfox13 said:

Oh the irony...

So, these guys are wrong for doing something immoral, lets go vigilante and kick their ass cos thats the right thing to do.  Really???

Of course, in case you didn't notice, I am applying their same rules here. Hmmm given your history and your pic, it is blatantly obvious that you will go out of your way to attack anything Sony related and defend any attacks vs said company. In that case you should consider hanging out in the many Nsanity threads.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

I see this as more of a win for Sony. With hackers attempting to raid Sony more people will want to buy more PS3's due to the new insurance they put in place. Hopefully, this will help a lot of college kids once they get hacked!

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=159911

yeah it still sucks and they still suck

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!