By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Explosion of the mind: Nintendo and High Fidelity Graphics a first w/ Cafe

pariz said:

Awesome cover of Nightwish's Walking in the air!!

That's Chloë Agnew from Celtic Woman who is singing Walking In the Air there. It's from Celtic Woman's first concert CD/DVD. I know so because I own all of the CDs from the singers of Celtic Woman, and DVDs...lol

Around the Network
padib said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
padib said:

That the thing, right. Some games appeal to one market while others appeal to another. Heavy Rain appeals to a more vocal crowd, Mario Kart appeals to a more consumer crowd. But both are fundamental to success.

As for the fun side of things, that's why I was mentioning balance. I believe that HD in Nintendo's hands will be used to enhance the experience as a whole, not ruin it, just like it did in the past with the N64 and Gamecube, with the cutting edge of the time. Never did Nintendo overuse it (I find). Some games will really benefit from HD too, as megaman79 mentioned.

No. Only one is fundamental to success, as it sold far, far more, and took far less time and money to make. The other kind of game is only about stroking the egos of game developers and the egos of gamers who want desperately for games to be elveted to legitmate art.

Aren't you taking it a little too far? I mean yes some people are graphics whores, but not all are. It's very legitimate to enjoy crisp graphics on a game, and I believe Endless Ocean was a good example of that. One pushes the other, the dynamics are not trivial. One crowd being more vocal causes more of the other crowd and of the same crowd to buy. It happened with the NES, the PSX, the PS2, and with the iPhone, it should happen with Cafe, for all I hope.

If you thought I meant graphics in particular, then my mistake for not clarifying, since this thread is about graphics.

In terms of Heavy Rain, I meant a game with an illusion of freedom and loads of cut scenes and quick time events making it very little of a game, while the presentation is supposed to make up for that. That is a poor direction for games to go.

In terms of graphics overall, when the cost and time make them come at the expense of content or artistry, it's also a bad direction for games to go.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

padib said:

"In terms of graphics overall, when the cost and time make them come at the expense of content or artistry, it's also a bad direction for games to go."

Oh okay, that's where I totally agree with you. One can't cross the other, the two need to marry, in the worst case to go for art and content before graphics.

Isn't the music in the vid so lovely (again props to gumby_trucker for the original post)? I love Chloe agnew, here is another video of the same tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdtZMHYzXRs

The begining montage is a little funny though :)

With rising costs, that worst case might come sooner rather than later, unless Sony and Microsoft stall their next systems to avoid those costs getting too high.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

padib said:

"In terms of graphics overall, when the cost and time make them come at the expense of content or artistry, it's also a bad direction for games to go."

Oh okay, that's where I totally agree with you. One can't cross the other, the two need to marry, in the worst case to go for art and content before graphics.

Isn't the music in the vid so lovely (again props to gumby_trucker for the original post)? I love Chloe agnew, here is another video of the same tune:

you do know the soundtrack for Endless Ocean 2 is by Celtic Women, right? The OST for the first game featured Hayley Westenra...

(I'm just trying to make the wait all the more difficult for you *muahaha*)

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Naraku_Diabolos said:
pariz said:

Awesome cover of Nightwish's Walking in the air!!

That's Chloë Agnew from Celtic Woman who is singing Walking In the Air there. It's from Celtic Woman's first concert CD/DVD. I know so because I own all of the CDs from the singers of Celtic Woman, and DVDs...lol

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find.

Around the Network
padib said:
gumby_trucker said:
padib said:

you do know the soundtrack for Endless Ocean 2 is by Celtic Women, right? The OST for the first game featured Hayley Westenra...

(I'm just trying to make the wait all the more difficult for you *muahaha*)

Hayley Westenravorgshten, I've heard of her :) hehe

Haley Westenra has a beautiful voice for sure, but you really got me with the Celtic Women tune Walking in the Air.

If I get a Cafe, I'll for sure get Endless Ocean 2 now. :D You tempter you :)  (second hand of course, I'm a cheapo haha)

game also has online co-op... just sayin'

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

padib said:

Online coop exploration sounds like a ton of fun. I like natgeo tv and I watch it in HD (it's by far my favorite channel), that's one of the reasons my brain exploded when I thought of Endless Ocean in HD, and especially as a Nintendo game, you can't go wrong. It's like dreaming of ecco the dolphin on Cafe. You know Sega would give it a Nintendo feel, because 3rd parties do that when they release on a console, especially when it's an exclusive. And it would have HD graphics on top of being a quality title. idk I just get total mind bursts just thinking about it, like bubble gum in my brain.

I compare this game to a good National Geographic underwater documentary as well!

I actually learned some pretty cool and surprising facts about underwater wildlife just from observing certain things in the game, but I won't spoil them for you

the original trolls

So... what exactly is the difference between standard and high-definition? What does it matter?

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

padib said:

It's true LTNK, sadly there's no stoppin it. PC has been on a fury to best itself graphically almost since inception. The obsession with high graphics has existed for so long, but I've never encouraged it, especially when it leads to shallow experiences. We can count on certain companies to fight that current, and I can see Nintendo being one of them (there are many others too). For such creative companies I think graphics have their place, and in that place is where I get totally excited.  Awesome content, and when possible beautiful graphics, it's a great combination. What other Nintendo IPs can enjoy the jump? What about... Super Metroid 2!!! HD :) a 2D side-scroller of course. Or a new Eternal Darkness... Duck Hunt Extreme, or Hogan's Alley: Sneaky Rifles haha

I would wish Nintendo would tone down the colors on most games and add more textures like broken fabric and roughed up leather. They used to make games for adults that kids could enjoy too!

No, loads of developers finally spending themselves into bankruptcy will stop it. Unless that is what you meant.

To bad I have no plan's on buying a HD TV.

I'm sure my TV still has a good 10 years left in her.

Back to Computer gaming it is I guess