By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you like your magic?

How do you like your magic?

Powerful but limited use 18 45.00%

Weaker but used often 3 7.50%

Powerful AND used often - balance be damned! 10 25.00%

Who needs magic when you've got a blade? 9 22.50%

Total:40
Xxain said:

It depends on the design of the game

In a RPG like STAR OCEAN or TALES i would perfer they have enough MP..so i dont catch them just standing around bcause they lost in all after 2 spells ( Genis and Raine)

but in SRPG powerful but limited spells are great because it encourages real strategy on when to use them.

just a few xxamples it just depends

what he said 

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

Around the Network
Xxain said:

In a RPG like STAR OCEAN or TALES i would perfer they have enough MP..so i dont catch them just standing around bcause they lost in all after 2 spells ( Genis and Raine)

but in SRPG powerful but limited spells are great because it encourages real strategy on when to use them.

I came to pretty much say this.  This is exactly what I believe

I like huge spells in turn based RPGs but when it come to Action RPGs (tales) I like chaining a lot of artes together, I'm refering to ToS:DotNW combat with Emil, seamless flow of regular attacks and combat artes = a fun and beautiful combat experience

Xxain said:

I just saw all the quotes of this post so I decided to read it...

THIS!!!

Xxain said:

Xxemplary.

Around the Network

I can't believe I just read a thread full of people talking positively about FF8's draw magic system.

spenderzz said:

I can't believe I just read a thread full of people talking positively about FF8's draw magic system.

Yeah. It was awesome.

The master sword is all I need =p

Something like Baldur's Gate: powerful but limited, maybe even overpowered I hear. Power is one of the first things I think about when talking about magic; magic should be powerful in games too. However, too much magic use makes it 1) extremely unbalanced and 2) boring, thus it should also be limited. But like I said, magic is powerful and so it should have the potential to even be unbalanced - well, at least against other character types. Naturally other mages would still pose a challenge.

Powerful but limited use and consequences to using it.

Everquest's magic system is still the best I have seen. Powerful spells but deadly if you draw too much attention to yourself. Everquest allowed for very inventive use and very powerful but extremely risky tactics with it's magic system. Something I missed greatly playing WoW.

The first baldur's gate was great too. You were limited to a couple of powerful spells a day. Know when to use the right spell to turn a loosing battle around in your favor.

Much better then spamming some weak fire spell over and over again. You could just a well be chipping away their health with a sword or bow. What's the point in playing a magic user in that case.