By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Michael Jordan vs Lebron James

Michael Jordan vs Lebron James

Jordan 263 65.26%

Lebron 100 24.81%

Other 12 2.98%

View Results 28 6.95%

Total:403

Since Jordan retired every newcomer to the NBA who appears to be head and shoulders above other players has at least once been considered as the one to throw Jordan from the top of mountain as the Greatest of All Time. A decade later and there still has been no clearly definable character. Kobe Bryant didn't do it. Shaq didn't do it. Dwayne Wade isn't it.... and I'm about to prove that Lebron James isn't there either. (imo, never will be)

Google "Jordan vs Lebron" (or James) and you'll find tons of people making the comparison for this reason or that. However, almost never do they actually list the achievements of each player side by side for a real comparison. They'll either just say "well Lebron was first to XX,000pts" without considering the fact that he had a three year head start on Jordan due to bypassing college. While others will say "talk to me when Lebron has six rings... or even one, lol" without considering that it did take Jordan seven seasons to get his first and Lebron is barely in his 8th and he is three years younger than when Jordan got his first.

Take a minute to view the tables below of each player’s stats per season. Make a special note for Jordan's 2nd season where he only played 18 games due to a broken foot. Clearly this is not representative of Jordan's abilities and for the nature of this article, it will be largely ignored in any comparisons. Additionally, we are only comparing Jordan's first eight seasons as that is how many Lebron has played. (I could have skipped Jordan's 2nd and used his 9th, but that would be unfair as it was the end of a three-peat with even more Jordan accolades that Lebron doesn't match)

First off, I don't see how anyone could even begin to make a case for Lebron being even close to Jordan's greatness based off these stats. There is only ONE category Lebron has beaten Jordan; three pointers. Sad part is that even with a far better three point ability; he has NEVER beaten Jordan's yearly PPG stat. Jordan averaged over 31PPG where Lebron has only reached that level once, generally closer to 27PPG.

Now, Lebron does have a slight edge on rebounding and assists, while Jordan has a slight edge on steals and blocks. So, these areas mostly cancel each other out; with the exception of annual awards, but we'll go more into that later.

Jordan is simply a FAR better overall player and team leader.

1. Jordan only has two seasons where he failed to play the full 82 games (81 and 80); Lebron has never played full 82 games; most are actually less than 80.
2. Jordan had TWO NBA titles by season 8. He did that by making his team better and excelling at any challenge; especially when it came to clutch winning shots. Lebron may have one title soon, however he rarely takes the clutch shots, had to trade himself to good team as he was unable to create one by improving others. In fact, Jordan himself recently berated Lebron for his move to Miami and said he would never have wanted to play with Bird and Magic. Basically calling Lebron a pansy followed by stating that Kobe is a much better player. (I agree and he has three titles) Additionally, Jordan pushed the Bulls to at least a playoff appearance every year he played. Lebron missed this on a few occasions.
3. Jordan was in the All Stars as a starter EVERY year he played in the NBA. Lebron didn't play until his 2nd season (however, he was able to get all star MVP then, a few years before Jordan)
4. Jordan was All NBA FIRST team 6 out of 8 (one miss due to broken foot) seasons with the 1 being second team. Lebron was ALL NBA first team 5 out of 8, second team 2, and one season with nothing.
5. Jordan was defensive player of the year twice. Lebron zero. (Though both made defensive team nearly every year.)
6. Jordan was scoring leader of the NBA 6 out of 8 years (one miss due to broken foot). Lebron Zero.
7. All Star MVP 1 to 2 for Lebron. However, Jordan made All Star starter in rookie year and the Eastern team was a bunch of douche bags and refused to pass him the ball out of spite and jealousy that year.
8. NBA MVP, 3 to 2 for Jordan. (pretty impressive when you consider Jordan had technically one less season due to broken foot)
9. Finals MVP 2 to 0 for Jordan. However, this one might end up 2 to 1 if Heat can win it this year. (Go BULLS! Go ROSE... you just need your Pippen)
10. Jordan beats Lebron in avg games played, ppg, mins, fg%, ft%, steals, blocks, clinch shots, awards, trophies, leadership, etc, etc.
11. Another important factor is likeability and marketability. Jordan was well liked by the world over. Chicago away games many times felt like home games as there were simply more Bulls fans in the stadium. This has never happened for Cleveland or Miami. Bulls (Jordan) games are heralded as the having the highest viewing scores according to Neilson ratings for the entire NBA.

Jordan routinely allowed the Bulls to pay him far less annual salary than he was worth for two reasons. A) Bulls had more free money to pay other players. B) Jordan was making over 40 million a year (FAR higher than any other athlete except maybe Tiger) in endorsements. More than a decade after Jordan left the Bulls (and Wizards) and various apparel, images, and self is still more marketable than Lebron. I'd bet there are more "Jordan" shoes sold this year than "Lebron" shoes just as a simple example.

Maybe when Lebron retires, we can revisit this topic with a solid argument for Lebron as the new Greatest of All Time, however, eight seasons in and Jordan is still head and shoulders above.

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

Rookie of Year

Yes

Yes

All Star Game

Yes

No

Playoffs

Yes

No

All NBA

Yes - 2nd

No

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

18*

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

Playoffs

Yes

No

All Star MVP

No

Yes

All NBA

No

Yes - 2nd

*Jordan had broken foot.

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

Scoring Champ

Yes

No

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 1st

Def Player of Yr

Yes

No

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

NBA MVP

Yes

No

Scoring Champ

Yes

No

All Star MVP

Yes

Yes

Def Player of Yr

Yes

No

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 2nd

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

Scoring Champ

Yes

Yes

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 1st

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

Scoring Champ

Yes

No

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 1st

NBA MVP

No

Yes

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

NBA MVP

Yes

Yes

NBA Champion

Yes

No

Scoring Champ

Yes

No

NBA Finals MVP

Yes

No

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 1st

Season

Stat

M. Jordan

L. James

Games Played

Avg Min

PPG

FG%

3PT %

FT%

Avg Rebound

Avg Assist

Avg Steals

Avg Blocks

Playoffs

Yes

Yes

All Star Game

Yes

Yes

NBA MVP

Yes

No

NBA Champion

Yes

TBA

Scoring Champ

Yes

No

NBA Finals MVP

Yes

TBA

All NBA

Yes - 1st

Yes - 1st

Around the Network

I feel like people stopped doing the "Jordan vs LeBron" arguement after he went to Miami.  That basically crushed the whole arguement, and honestly showed it was an arguement Lebron didn't care about... or at least didn't care about anymore.

Honestly, I STILL say the best arguemnt for Jordan vs ???  is Magic Johnson.

What is missed is that Magic Johnson was better then Jordan in some areas, almost as good in others... and could effectivly play all 5 positions.

Give me any player historically to start my franchise and I'm going Magic Johnson.

Give me a "Any player in their prime" for one game and I'm actually picking Shaq.  Well... no I'm not... because I think Shaq would drop and I could get him as a "steal" but he's the first guy i'd want.

When it comes to rings though... Nobody has more then Russel.

Michael Jordan played in a team with Bugs Bunny AND Bill Murray... nobody can beat that... nobody...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Lot's of votes... but not a whole lot of commentary. I'd especially like to hear from those who can look at those stats and somehow consider Lebron as better.

I don't think Jordan and Lebron are even in the same league.

His Airness all the way !!!!!!!!

PS : Jordan got robbed of a fewMVP titles too as people were getting tired of voting for him and gave one to Barkley..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Why compare the 2. I'm a Lebron james fan,but You should have compared Jordan to Kobe. That would have made more sense. Lebron is a great player,but until he wins a championship,you can't really compare him to any of the greats. I'm sorry,but that's just the way it is and that's how most people will see it.

oldschoolfool said:

Why compare the 2. I'm a Lebron james fan,but You should have compared Jordan to Kobe. That would have made more sense. Lebron is a great player,but until he wins a championship,you can't really compare him to any of the greats. I'm sorry,but that's just the way it is and that's how most people will see it.

I only compared to Lebron because people stopped comparing Jordan to Kobe years ago.

Plus, this was the result of a argument with my 18yr old brother.

superchunk said:
oldschoolfool said:

I only compared to Lebron because people stopped comparing Jordan to Kobe years ago.

Plus, this was the result of a argument with my 18yr old brother.

nonstanding their accomplishment on the court.

Michael brought back the fans in drove to the game.. Lebron hasn't and has actually managed to divide fans over him.

The highest rated playoff serie in basketball history was the last one Michael played in...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

NiKKoM said:

Michael Jordan played in a team with Bugs Bunny AND Bill Murray... nobody can beat that... nobody...

Yeah! Michael Jordan is DA BOSS!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> what's his name

First I think that Lebron should not be in the picture yet since he has not won a championship. Its evident that he is one of the best B-ball players in the game right now. I think wthin a couple years he will have a championship under his belt. At this point we can begin comparing. In my opinion Michael Jordan is the greatest player as of yet to step foot on the basketball court. He had an incredible athletic ability, and he was simply magic with a basketball. There are other players in history that you could argue as the greatest, however. I still think Jordan is king.

Second, remember that Stats do not always tell everything. There are many factors that can affect a players stats. quality teammates that help you get to the ball and help you get open is one. Another is the type of coaching. I think in the NBA its mostly about player skill, but the coaching does have a factor on the performance of that player. In college and Highschool coaching is even more important to help determine the performance of players.

We also must consider that when comparing stats when there is a decade or more of time between two players you have to consider how sports have evolved. American football is a good example. I would argue that the best American Football team 20 years ago could easily get beat by a mediocre team in the NFL today. This is most noticeable in NFL, but applys to all sports. As time goes on training techniques evolve and get better and more efficient. This causes the athletisism of players to become better. As each year passes in sports it becomes more and more scientific in order to get the best performance possible out of every player. The training and conditioning in the NBA I argue is better today than in the 1990s. I will however point out that Michael Jordan devoted a HUGE amount of time to training. He was different from many other players in the NBA at that time. Jordan worked very very hard, and practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. What helped him to be so good was his complete and utter devoted love for the game. While I do see a love for the game from Lebron, I have not seen it to the level that MJ had. If Lebron had that level of devotion then I think we would be seeing an even better Lebron James.