By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Can We All Learn from the Xbox Live Banning of ‘Pound Her Stank’?

Antabus said:
Soleron said:

Just to make sure that we are clear about this, that is their policy. It is a fact, untill it gets disputed in court. It is not another way around like you seem to think.

I agree their policy is as stated.

I disagree their policy is legal.

I also disagree that what you are describing is 'rental'. Rental implies a fixed termly fee in exchange for being allowed to continue to use what you have bought. This is more like 'buying, but with strings attached'. You own the right to play your game in perpetuity until the service provider finds some reason to take it away.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

I agree their policy is as stated.

I disagree their policy is legal.

I also disagree that what you are describing is 'rental'.

1) Rental implies a fixed termly fee in exchange for being allowed to continue to use what you have bought.

2) This is more like 'buying, but with strings attached'.

3) You own the right to play your game in perpetuity until the service provider finds some reason to take it away.

It is perfectly legal, unless it gets disputed in court.

1) You just described how digital distribution works in most cases. You will pay a 'termly' fee for the right to use the software. It does not matter if the rental time is a bit longer than usually.

2) If you buy something, it is yours to do whatever you want to do with it.  This is clearly not the case with major dd-services, as you already agreed.

3) You just explained how a rent for undefined time works, good job!

dsister said:
Tony_Stark said:

No, you have to do it from your new Xbox/ profile. They guide you through the steps over the phone.

Exactly, but you have to log on to XBL with the profile you purchased the items with, no? 

no. You just have to have the info on that profile, see disaster's post

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

Tony_Stark said:

who the heck is disaster? 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

How indecisive can you get to not come up with a good gamertag and try bloody 34 times?

Like I certainly would like to change my current PSN ID but dayum not bloody 34 times. I just wanna change it once.

Around the Network
dsister said:
Tony_Stark said:

what the heck is disaster? 

dis·as·ter

[dih-zas-ter, -zah-ster] Show IPA
–noun
a calamitous event, especially one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood, airplane crash, or business failure.
Obsolete . an unfavorable aspect of a star or planet.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

Tony_Stark said:
dis·as·ter   [dih-zas-ter, -zah-ster] Show IPA
–noun
a calamitous event, especially one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood, airplane crash, or business failure.
Obsolete . an unfavorable aspect of a star or planet.

That's cute that you edited my post to say 'What' instead of 'who'. I thought I was going crazy for a second :-p 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Antabus said:

1) You just described how digital distribution works in most cases. You will pay a 'termly' fee for the right to use the software. It does not matter if the rental time is a bit longer than usually.

2) If you buy something, it is yours to do whatever you want to do with it.  This is clearly not the case with major dd-services, as you already agreed.

I'm done with this argument. We both believe the same things and see the situation the same, it's just we want to use different words to describe it.

Soleron said:
Antabus said:

I'm done with this argument. We both believe the same things and see the situation the same, it's just we want to use different words to describe it.

Thanks for conceding to my point. Have a nice day.

Antabus said:
Soleron said:
Antabus said:

Thanks for conceding to my point. Have a nice day.

I'm not conceding. I realised that we never actually disagreed except on matters of semantics. I still disagree with your definition of rent but that is irrelevant really.

Also don't read any negativity into my words.