By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead or Alive: Dimensions REVIEWS

Dead or Alive: Dimensions - 3DS

- 76 out of 100 (18 reviews)
- 79.21% (14 reviews)
  - 8.0/10 (13 reviews)

VideoGamer - 7/10 - Read review
"Graphically - both in terms of character design and use of 3D - Street Fighter is the better game. It also proves itself far more competent online, which is a huge deal for fighting aficionados. DOA fans with an itch to satisfy should pick it up regardless, if only for the rather interesting tease at the end."

Nintendo Power - 9/10
"Within the launch window of the Nintendo 3DS, we've gotten two--Dead or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition--and they're the two best games in the handheld's library so far."

Nintendo Life - 8/10 - Read review
"Its wide array of modes offer different depths and lengths of play, although overall there's a slight sense that it lacks a truly meaty challenge for expert fighters. Still, it's an excellent first showing for the Dead or Alive series on Nintendo formats, and sufficiently different from Capcom's fighter to warrant purchase."

Metro GameCentral - 7/10 - Read review
"A great version of an okay fighting game might not seem the best of recommendations, but this a surprisingly worthwhile alternative to Street Fighter."

Edge - 7/10 - Read review
"The extra depth is arresting – combatants plunge from one part of a stage to the next, crashing through glass and tumbling down stairs. While its 3D arenas arguably make for a more fitting showcase of 3DS's capabilities than launch title Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, the two share a further thrill as you turn the 3D off and watch the framerate double."

Official Nintendo Magazine - 90% - Read review
"Super Street Fighter IV 3DS has set a tall benchmark for this new era of handheld fighters. But it's one that Dead Or Alive: Dimensions ably matches, this being a high point in the genre that will be difficult for any would-be challenger to top."

thesixthaxis - 9/10 - Read review
"
It’s hard to know what else the developers could get into the game, really.  There’s absolutely loads in here for the fighting fan, and it’s refreshing to see a game come out for the 3DS that doesn’t skimp on things to do or sacrifice longevity just to hit the crucial launch period.  I also much prefer the fighting mechanics to that of Street Fighter and there’s a clear difference in the visual quality too – Dead or Alive’s looks might be an early selling point but there’s a proper game here, and it absolutely deserves to be treated as such.  Really, really impressed."

GOD is a geek - 8/10 - Read review
"Dead or Alive nails the controls beautifully, plays like a dream and has loads of stuff to see and do. Look past the slightly inferior visuals and the inevitable differences in character quality, because were it not for the dodgy online mode (something that in this day and age a beat ‘em up stands or falls by), this would be easily the equal of Capcom’s grade-A 3DS debut. Here’s hoping that Team Ninja recognise this, and go on to push things forward with their excellent one-on-one product, rather than serve up unwanted breast-themed nonsense that would barely titillate a randy thirteen year old."

Famitsu - 9/9/9/9 (36/40)

Push-Start - 4.5/5 - Read review
"Dead or Alive Dimensions is a Dead or Alive title us fans of the series have been waiting for, new-comers will really enjoy the easiness of being able to pick up and play. The gameplay is what you would expect but better. It’s like if you had a cake with no icing it would taste dry, well Dead or Alive Dimensions is that tasty icing you would put on a cake to make it taste delicious  The only flaws I have come across is that the figures seem a bit pointless compared to SSFIV as they don’t do anything and there is a lot of talking in chronicle mode which can diverse from the fighting elements. Again this is me being picky and for some of you it wont matter if these elements are not polish because the overall game is jam-packed with content and a great use of the 3DS 3D."

Yet Another Review Site - 7/10 - Read review
"Although it suffers from hideous frame-rates on 3D and the Chronicle mode seems like an investment of time rather than an enjoyable narrative, Dead Or Alive:Dimensions manages to utilise the touch screen and diddy buttons to make a brilliantly fluid fighter with the fancy effects turned off. Fans of the series will definitely make the time to delve into all of the modes and pillage it's many unlockables, and fans of the genre will find it a welcome beat-'em-up for their portable console that's dismally lacking in the field. An unexpectedly great little fighter, and it doesn't make you feel like a pervert for playing, a first for the series."

Itchy Thumbs - 8/10 - Read review
"So, is it better than Street Fighter? Not really, but it’s still pretty damn good fun. With the combat seemingly more rooted in actual moves and fighting styles than the SF universe, it definitely provides a viable alternative to those who (mainly) want to trade fists rather than fireballs with their opponents. What’s more, with several fighters and extras to unlock during the course of play, it’ll keep you coming back for more on a regular basis. It’s just frustrating to think that we’ve had to wait five and a half years for DoA to get back to what it does best, especially when you consider all of the nonsense that had to be put up with in-between."

Digital Spy - 3/5 - Read review
"Dead Or Alive Dimensions is an impressive title with enough flair and things to do to warrant a play, and while it may be more instantly enjoyable than Super Street Fighter IV, it doesn't have the same depth."

NowGamer.com - 8.8/10 - Read review
"It’s not the most technical or the deepest fighter you’ll ever play, but you’ll struggle to find something so skilfully designed to complement its platform in any genre."

NGamer - 8/10 - Read review
"You could play much of it one-handed (er, so to speak), but nonetheless, this is an engaging beat-'em-up with (marginally) more brain than boob."

Meristation - 7.5/10 - Read review
"
Dead or Alive is a good fighting game and a great version for handled hardware, but has some problems with lag in online matches and the poor use of 3D effect (fewer fps)."

Telegraph - 5/10 - Read review
"I spent a lot of my time waiting, begging, willing the game to spread its wings and fly. But it never left the ground. A real shame."

IGN - 8.0/10 - Read review
"If you’re a longtime fan of the series, DOAD is a great addition and a fun homage to the franchise’s legacy. But even if you’re new to the series (or the genre, for that matter), this title is a great starting point. Weird cut-scenes and clunky use of the touch screen aside, this is a beautiful and fun game that fighter fans should make it a point to check out."

Cubed3 - 8/10 - Read review
"Dead or Alive: Dimensions is a solid entry into the classic fighting series whether you're a fan or series newcomer. It's just as fast, responsive and enjoyable as past iterations, with far more balanced movesets and counters; a visually appetising, impressive fighter particularly for a game released in 3DS' launch period."

PALGN - 7/10 - Read review
"As familiar as Dead or Alive can be, a solid fighter in its own right, and a genuine alternative to SSFIV 3D, especially if you're new to the fighting genre."

Eurogamer - 8/10 - Read review
"The best game currently on the 3DS and the best portable fighting game ever made. It's no less than the pocket fighter of choice."

GameSpot - 7.5/10 - Read review
"3D or not, Dimensions is a great-looking fighting game with heaps of content to explore. Its fighting system offers a unique and more accessible alternative to that of Super Street Fighter IV, while still giving advanced players plenty to dig into. Its limited online play and impenetrable story might deter those after a more complete fighting experience, but executing well-timed combos and knocking opponents off ledges to their doom is so much fun in Dead or Alive: Dimensions that you'll be too busy throwing punches to care."

HonestGamers - 8/10 - Read review
" The game may lack the overall polish that players saw in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, but Dead or Alive Dimensions is an excellent choice for someone who is looking for a strong and generally satisfying fighting title early in the 3DS system’s cycle. The three available dimensions are put to good use and the Chronicle mode does a better job than ever of turning the story behind Dead or Alive into a tale of substance… even if sometimes it falters in surprising ways. There will quite possibly be better options for fighting fans throughout the coming years, but at least for now, Tecmo’s latest is a solid purchase even if you already own Capcom’s attempt."

Destructoid - 8/10 - Read review
"
Dead or Alive Dimensions is a really fun fighting game, one that this old Street Fighter loyalist has really grown to love."

GameZone - 9/10 - Read review
"Dead or Alive: Dimensions should be thought of less as a compilation and more as a love letter to all the DoA fans. Though it has a few shortcomings, such as cut-scenes made of stills, the overall package is jam-packed with content. Loads of modes, plenty of unlockable extra goodies, and a very functional multiplayer make Dimensions a series that not only fans must buy, but any gamer with even the slightest itch for a quality portable fighting game. If you’ve been waiting for the next must-buy 3DS title, this is it, folks."

LazyGamer - 8.5/10 - Read review
"In closing the fight mechanic is as solid as any other Dead or Alive title I have ever played and while button mashing will get you through most challenges the game has to offer the real enjoyment comes from learning the moves and chaining your combo’s together."

NewBreview - 4.5/5.0 - Read review
"Dead or Alive Dimensions is a great hand-held game, one of the best on the 3DS, that manages to replicate the experience of the console versions flawlessly, and even manages to improve on the long established formula by adding a new take on the standard Arcade, Tag challenge, and Survival modes. Fans of fighting games with a 3DS have no excuse for not owning this game."

Vooks - 8.0/10 - Read review
"Dead or Alive Dimensions is a very competent but simple fighter that is sure to appeal to anyone of all ages, but it’s important to consider just what you want out of a fighter before diving in. Still, it’s hard to imagine anyone who likes the genre not liking this entry, as I have no problems recommending it."

Otaku Gaming - 4.5/5.0 - Read review
"Thankfully, it’s worth it. Dead or Alive remains a sexy, entertaining series, and this new game is a true highlight in the series. While we wait and see whether the eShop can deliver, and for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to be released, this is the game that will tide you over."

CheatCodeCentral - 4.2/5.0 - Read review
"You can definitely tell that the focus of DOA Dimensions is back on the fighting and less on the breast physics, which makes this a welcome return to form. Although there are still plenty of jiggles in the game, don't be surprised if you are more focused on the juggles, combos, and throws in DOA Dimensions than you are on the sexy ladies."

PoketGamer - 8/10 - Read review
"Dead or Alive: Dimensions has a fighting style that fits the system its running on, and some excellent graphics "

Around the Network

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/26363/dead-or-alive-dimensions-review-nintendo-3ds/

90%

2 more reviews

thesixthaxis - 9/10 - Read review

GOD is a geek - 8/10 - Read review

"Within the launch window of the Nintendo 3DS, we've gotten two--Dead or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition--and they're the two best games in the handheld's library so far."

That is seriously one of the most shocking pieces of non-information ever!!!

It's like telling your parents they are your favourite parents in the world. 

Push-Start - 4.5/5 - Read review

Yet Another Review Site - 7/10 - Read review

Itchy Thumbs - 8/10 - Read review

Digital Spy - 3/5 - Read review

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Dr.Grass said:

That is seriously one of the most shocking pieces of non-information ever!!!

It's like telling your parents they are your favourite parents in the world. 

I think the context here is that the DS didn't get a whole lot of fighting games, but within the launch window... (see quote)

Also, their conclusion isn't that DoA:D and SSFIV 3D are the two best fighting games on the 3DS, but the two best games overall.

i R stUpId

sometimes.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's a perfectly fine statement then.

My.Bad.

Some of these review scores seem low, when you actually read the reviews. 

I CALL BIAS!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Some of these review scores seem low, when you actually read the reviews. 

I CALL BIAS!

I agree, its pitching something more fun than the score reflects

However, if the only complaint is a slight lack of challenge, it should prove good for a noob to the series like me. I think i will buy this when i beat Zelda OoT3DS

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I got the game today, definitely worth buying if you're into fighters. 

NowGamer.com - 8.8/10 - Read review
"It’s not the most technical or the deepest fighter you’ll ever play, but you’ll struggle to find something so skilfully designed to complement its platform in any genre."

NGamer - 8/10 - Read review
"You could play much of it one-handed (er, so to speak), but nonetheless, this is an engaging beat-'em-up with (marginally) more brain than boob."