By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I feel a MASSIVE change in the gaming industry

Bodhesatva said:

It seems to me that Legend is saying that PC/360/PS3 fans have similar tastes (of which Madden is a great example) that differ from Wii fans (of which Raving Rabbids is an example). This disparity in tastes will make it so that the 360/PS3 continue to get the kind of games they're more interested in, and Wii fans will continue to get the kind of support they're interested in. In short, the games that 360/PS3 fans have a proven proclivity for won't jump to the Wii simply because the Wii has a larger install base. 

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to get across.

Around the Network
facher83 said:
zackblue said:
mesoteto said:
@zak---let me explain--the only thing the 360 and the Ps3 offer right now is hi end graphics...that is it--if Nin wanted the could Do a Wii Heavy and bump up teh graphics to Hd level and still proably break even-

so when he says "The Wii does NOTHING the other consoles couldn't do if they wanted to"--its like saying yeah i can do that but i dont want to , but if i did i could do it

Do you even own an xbox 360? Because now Im starting to doubt it. Anyone care to take over from here?

My room mate has a PS3, and I've watched him play around with the little non-gaming features, the media features, and I'm not that impressed... nothing this computer can't do, so why pay for something you already have?  USB and RGB vga out works wonders with my projector and optical sound card, especially with a laptop.

For that matter, the PS3 doesn't look any better than an XBox 1, really, on his standard TV, which majority of people still have.  It's not that PS3/XBox360 costs a lot, it's that the display does cost a lot.  Wii doesn't need a big, shiney display to take advantage of itself.

That's one of the biggest issue to a lot of people, I think.  Staring at PS3 graphics on his standard TV reminds me of games 5 years ago.   NOT impressive.

Your computer can do anything a ps3 can do? I doubt your computer has Blu Ray built in. It can probably do anything a 360 does, but i doubt ps3. 

Also the whole point of the HD graphics is to have a HDTV and not to play it in SD. And in Standard definition PS3 AT LEAST = Wii's graphics, in standard definition.

"Wii doesn't need a big, shiney display to take advantage of itself."  I guess all it needs is motion controls, and a couple lame, outdated Mario games!! HAHA

PS3 can do anything the Wii can do, but better. Wii has motion controls, PS3 has Sixaxis (also theres a bowling game you can buy on the PSN, that relies on the Motion controls, just like the Wii). Wii has 480p, PS3 has 1080p. Wii has 512 Megabytes, PS3 has up to 80 gigabytes. Wii has no DVD player, PS3 has DVD + Blu Ray combo. Wii has a bunch of Mario Games, PS3 has a wide variety of games from FPS's like Call of Duty 4, 3rd person shooters like Uncharted, RPG's like Oblivion, Currently not many racing games but Gran Turismo 5 will change that. That pretty much proves ps3 is better in every aspect, except price which seems to be enough to motivate people thesed days...

Just to continue Legend's Catz/Dogz example: ten years from now, I expect we'll see some version of Catz or Dogz that even someone like me will look at and go, "Okay, now THAT is cool. I won't buy it, but that's cool." There's clearly money to be made there.

The reason why the games are still so crudely made isn't because there is literally no way to make them better and spend more money developing them, it's that nobody knew there was a market there until Nintendo blew the door wide open with Nintendogs. The games will come, and Catz/Dogz are the first wave precisely because they're cheap and can be made quickly.

Keep in mind that this is only an example: any genre seeing a resurgance or nascent birth on the Wii will follow the same pattern. It will start out crude and cheaply made, and if/when it garners sales, expect research, development, polish, and the "expensive" games to follow. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

I honestly believe that you and Legend11 are saying completely different things ...

Legend11's standard argument is "The XBox 360 and PS3 will retain a dramatic advantage in third party development" and your argumet is "The XBox 360 and PS3 will continue to have decent third party support"

I fully agree with your logic ... The XBox 360 and PS3 will still see a steady supply of third party games, the publishers will be very careful with the types of games they get and will probably focus on multiplatform games but the games will continue to exist.

In order for Legend11's argumet to work the XBox 360 and PS3 have to start selling a lot better right away, or third party publishers must become not-for-profit agencies.

Why do you think I've been talking about multiplatform games?  There are multiplatform games selling now in the 2+ million range, do you think that will go down when the installed bases for both systems (in which many more hardcore conventional gamers will be added) will fall?  I think the vast majority of "expensive" games will be multiplatform in the future.  The exclusives for the 360 and PS3 will likely be ones that Microsoft or Sony secure while those for the Wii will likely be casual low cost games like we're seeing now (Catz, Dogz, Cowz, Pigz, Zack and Wiki, cheap JRPGS, etc/whatever).

I'll try to explain this to you ...

One of the main reasons Nintendo is so dominant on the Wii is because they're the only developer who has produced a high number of high quality conventional games; some developers (Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft) have started to notice this and are attempting to bring high quality conventional games to the Wii. The dichotomy you have produced in claiming that you have the choice between conventional games on the XBox 360 or unconventional (mostly shovelware) on the Wii is laughably false.

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

I honestly believe that you and Legend11 are saying completely different things ...

Legend11's standard argument is "The XBox 360 and PS3 will retain a dramatic advantage in third party development" and your argumet is "The XBox 360 and PS3 will continue to have decent third party support"

I fully agree with your logic ... The XBox 360 and PS3 will still see a steady supply of third party games, the publishers will be very careful with the types of games they get and will probably focus on multiplatform games but the games will continue to exist.

In order for Legend11's argumet to work the XBox 360 and PS3 have to start selling a lot better right away, or third party publishers must become not-for-profit agencies.

Why do you think I've been talking about multiplatform games? There are multiplatform games selling now in the 2+ million range, do you think that will go down when the installed bases for both systems (in which many more hardcore conventional gamers will be added) will fall? I think the vast majority of "expensive" games will be multiplatform in the future. The exclusives for the 360 and PS3 will likely be ones that Microsoft or Sony secure while those for the Wii will likely be casual low cost games like we're seeing now (Catz, Dogz, Cowz, Pigz, Zack and Wiki, cheap JRPGS, etc/whatever).

One of the main reasons Nintendo is so dominant on the Wii is because they're the only developer who has produced a high number of high quality conventional games; some developers (Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft) have started to notice this and are attempting to bring high quality conventional games to the Wii. The dichotomy you have produced in claiming that you have the choice between conventional games on the XBox 360 or unconventional (mostly shovelware) on the Wii is laughably false.

If there is any disconnect here, Happy has put his finger on it.

I totally agree with Legend that some genres and styles will always do much better on the PS3/360 than on the Wii, and that it would be silly to abandon these consoles unless the Wii gains some preposterous advantage over its competitors, like a 4:1 combined sales total (which isn't happening).

I also totally agree with HappySqurriel that the genres that DO work on the Wii will see increasing support -- both in terms of development time and funds -- as time goes on, and the quality will improve. Catz and Dogz won't always be shovelware. It may never be a game Legend likes, but it's quite possible to make an excellent and compelling game there. Other genres, like Adventure games or Rhythm Games or Fitness Games, will also see quality improve.

In other words, I agree with Legend except for the fact that I think these Wii projects will also (in due time) be "expensive," as he puts it. Catz/Dogz is such a perfect example of this -- it isn't selling well because people actually like shovelware, it's selling well because it's the only series in the genre that is available. If and when a competitor produces a polished and compelling alternative that is well marketed, it will demolish it.

Which would prove that isn't that Wii fans like shovelware, it's that Wii fans have different tastes than 360/PS3 fans --  and that should be the central point we all agree on here.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

One of the main reasons Nintendo is so dominant on the Wii is because they're the only developer who has produced a high number of high quality conventional games; some developers (Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft) have started to notice this and are attempting to bring high quality conventional games to the Wii. The dichotomy you have produced in claiming that you have the choice between conventional games on the XBox 360 or unconventional (mostly shovelware) on the Wii is laughably false.

Really?  PROVE IT. 

Do the following:

1) Make a list of upcoming Wii games.
2) Remove all Nintendo 1st/2nd party games (we're really talking about third party games).
3) Remove the cheap crap/budget titles like Catz, Dogz, etc.
4) Remove the cheap spinoff games like FFCC, RE: UC, etc.
5) Remove the cheap JRPG games.
6) Remove the cheap minigame compilations.
7) Remove the cheap PS2 ports.
8) Remove the cheap movie/book/tv licensed games.
9) Remove the cheap quirky low cost games like Endless Ocean (oops that's Nintendo but you get the point).
10) Remove the cheap sub-$2million crap that didn't get removed by any of the previous steps.
11) Remove the multiplatform games appearing on 360/PS3/PC.

So what do you have left?  Here I'll save you the trouble, NOT MUCH.

Now do the same thing with the 360 and PS3 and compare the list of games, yeah 'nuff said.

^^ I like your post but to be fair i think you should only remove the 1st 2nd party games, thats all you need to remove to prove that the Wii has no 3rd party games, or whatever your trying to prove. Theres no need to remove the sub 2 million games, they make no difference.

Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Really?  PROVE IT. 

Do the following:

2) Remove all Nintendo 1st/2nd party games (we're really talking about third party games).
8) Remove the cheap movie/book/tv license games.
9) Remove the cheap quirky low cost games like Endless Ocean (oops that's Nintendo but you get the point).
10) Remove the cheap sub-$2million crap that didn't get removed by any of the previous steps.

Now what do you have left?  Here I'll save you the trouble, NOT MUCH.

Ok, prove to me that the XBox 360 will have any games in 2010 ... Wow they must not exist ... Confirmed XBox 360 is dead in 2010 ... So what is the XBox 360's replacement? ... Wow it must not exist ... Confirmed Microsoft is leaving the console market.

... To rephrase that, if you're not going to be inteligent and rational maybe you shouldn't post.

Most games released in a year are not announced years in advance; it is actually kind of shocking to me the number of XBox 360 and PS3 games that were announced before the systems were released that are now expected to be released in 2008.

I'd rather play PSone than Wii. On wii all i have is mario. On PSone i'd have Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy, Driver 1 and 2, Grand theft auto 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, etc. More games and the graphics are almost equal.

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Really?  PROVE IT. 

Do the following:

8) Remove the cheap movie/book/tv license games.

Now what do you have left?  Here I'll save you the trouble, NOT MUCH.

Ok, prove to me that the XBox 360 will have any games in 2010 ... Wow they must not exist ... Confirmed XBox 360 is dead in 2010 ... So what is the XBox 360's replacement? ... Wow it must not exist ... Confirmed Microsoft is leaving the console market.

... To rephrase that, if you're not going to be inteligent and rational maybe you shouldn't post.

Most games released in a year are not announced years in advance; it is actually kind of shocking to me the number of XBox 360 and PS3 games that were announced before the systems were released that are now expected to be released in 2008.

I could list some of the new games announced this year for the 360 like Hydrophobia, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex 3, Hitman 5, The Crossing, Prince of Persia 4, Saints Row 2, Earth No More, Shellshock 2, Command & Conquer: Tiberium, Dark Void, Project Offset, EA's Dead Space, Dynasty Warriors 6, Bioshock 2, etc to show that there are still a lot of very big games taking up a lot of third party resources that were either started this year or not long ago.  Yet when I make such a list for the Wii the list of games like that is a lot smaller and that is not even taking into account the many games that I haven't listed for the 360 that we know are in development but have no idea what they are like THQ's big RPG for the 360/PS3/PC coming in 2009 or later for example.

I'm not the one that is arguing that things are going to change significantly so I don't feel I should have to be the one to prove anything.  I think the Wii will get some great third party games along with all the shovelware but I just don't see it getting the majority of the kinds of games I've been talking about or that there will be a huge shift of such development from the PC/360/PS3 to the Wii.  I just don't see it happening.